follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #1695
nonicname
Banned

Drives: it has 4 wheels and a motor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Price is estimated right now around 1500 plus 120 for batteries. FYI I am not selling this kit I am just testing it out and stressing it to its limits

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
mmmmm should be $1,500 WITH batteries. seems steep for just a fan shell and an electric box. i know you are just the messenger but I'm just saying.
nonicname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #1696
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonicname View Post
mmmmm should be $1,500 WITH batteries. seems steep for just a fan shell and an electric box. i know you are just the messenger but I'm just saying.
If its just a fan shell and a box I'm sure nobody will have problems making their own

Rob has put in years into this creation to make it work this way. His first designs like many others didn't make any power.

This is essentially the cost of the parts, this isn't Robs full time job... This is his hobby, he isn't trying to take peoples money hand over fist I can assure you that.

Somebody a long time ago told Rob that it wasn't possible and that he couldn't do it. Rob doesn't like people telling him what he can or can't do.

I can assure you the estimated price is very fair in terms of parts you get and how they work to develop boost on the car.

That's like saying the vortech is a belt driven fan... In theory yes.... But there is so so much more.

Last edited by fenton; 09-05-2013 at 10:23 AM.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-05-2013), HunterGreene (09-06-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #1697
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If its just a fan shell and a box I'm sure nobody will have problems making their own

Rob has put in years into this creation to make it work this way. His first designs like many others didn't make any power.

This is essentially the cost of the parts, this isn't robs full time job... This is his hobby, he isn't trying to take peoples money hand over fist I can assure you that.

Somebody a long time ago told rob that it was possible and that he couldn't do it. Rob doesn't like people telling him what he can't do.

I can assure you the estimated price is very fair in terms of parts you get and how they work to develop boost on the car.

That's like saying the vortech is a belt driven fan... In theory yes.... But there is so so much more.

Exactly! You don't go to the pharmacy and pay them just for the cost of the pill. No you pay for all the research and development involved as well. Hence why medication is so damn expensive.This is no different, people who design systems such as these dedicate a lot of their time into it. Charging more than what the parts cost is their way of not only making some sort of profit but also getting back some of that investment.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #1698
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

This is essentially the cost of the parts, this isn't Robs full time job... This is his hobby, he isn't trying to take peoples money hand over fist I can assure you that.

Somebody a long time ago told Rob that it wasn't possible and that he couldn't do it. Rob doesn't like people telling him what he can or can't do.

i agree..i think the price is fair and was right around what people thought it was going to be...im on board with the product
Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #1699
the.big.kahoona

Drives: 2013 Raven 86
Anothet vote for $1500 being a fair price
the.big.kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the.big.kahoona For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #1700
nonicname
Banned

Drives: it has 4 wheels and a motor
Quote:

that's exactly why I think Vortech is the most over priced kit out there.
It's exactly that, a belt driven fan. Lets not go there...

I'm an industrial designer myself which is why I understand what things cost very well. R&D cost should be accounted as a "longer period before you get your investment is returned" not as an extra cost added to the sales price.
30%-35% profit margin is what things should cost in any market.

I definitely appreciate what Rob is doing and I didn't say I wouldn't buy the kit at that price I'm just looking for an accurately priced product which is something that doesn't happen very often in the automotive after market world thanks to all the needy people who die for attention and know the only way to get it is with their flashy cars. This market seems to pay anything for everything, even if they can't afford it. That's not me.

I'm definitely still interested but I'll buy after all the guinea pigs beta test it and trouble shoot it.
nonicname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #1701
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonicname View Post
that's exactly why I think Vortech is the most over priced kit out there.
It's exactly that, a belt driven fan. Lets not go there...

I'm an industrial designer myself which is why I understand what things cost very well. R&D cost should be accounted as a "longer period before you get your investment is returned" not as an extra cost added to the sales price.
30%-35% profit margin is what things should cost in any market.

I definitely appreciate what Rob is doing and I didn't say I wouldn't buy the kit at that price I'm just looking for an accurately priced product which is something that doesn't happen very often in the automotive after market world thanks to all the needy people who die for attention and know the only way to get it is with their flashy cars. This market seems to pay anything for everything, even if they can't afford it. That's not me.

I'm definitely still interested but I'll buy after all the guinea pigs beta test it and trouble shoot it.

Wow, ok tell the rest of the world they all should use 30% profit margins. Have you ever heard of 'supply and demand'? That's the way the world works - that being said, it seems to me that Rob is not gouging anyone, although he probably could if he wanted to - there's nothing on the market for the FR-S/BRZ like his ESC (supply), and there are plenty of people interested in a low cost solution that would provide 210-220whp, nice flat torque curve, easy DIY install/uninstall, lowboost/low risk. Cost of the brushless motor, compressor, housing, controller are bound to add up quickly - check out the open source ESC thread and follow what they're doing.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-05-2013), fenton (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #1702
Thatruth2001

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
If all goes as planned the unit will be track tested tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Thatruth2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thatruth2001 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #1703
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatruth2001 View Post
Tuning is done. Bob and Bill from drift office will provide the review. Ecutek owners you are now tuned.

Bill and Bob I cannot say thank you enough for the time and effort spent with the ESC today. I learned so much and appreciated the frankness of the discussion. Btw the drive home was amazing and the tune met all my expectations. I look forward to coming up again to work with a class act pair of tuners like yourselves.

Look forward to seeing your thoughs in the coming days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post
I didn't have his stock baseline numbers and the tune he came in with wasn't what we used, so all I have is just his final against a typical baseline. I'll post up a link to the thread here after I'm done with two other articles. Also need a bit of time to see how I'd like to approach this...

Cheers!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatruth2001 View Post
If all goes as planned the unit will be track tested tomorrow. Stay tuned.

C'mon guys... give us something!

bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Ingen (09-06-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #1704
Robftss

Drives: VW
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Marketing/business/overhead/profitability etc study this is not.

It is just engineering, 100% goes back to R&D. That's all.

Rob
Robftss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robftss For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-05-2013), FRSRAVEN (09-05-2013), neutron256 (09-05-2013), Pug (09-05-2013), rusty959 (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #1705
FRSRAVEN

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
IMO, 2000 total with batteries is fair. People wanting this whole kit out the door for 1500 are asking to much. Batteries are expensive, and you want good batteries.

I'm looking at it in relation to a complete exhaust
system upgrade, which is about $2000 with tune for 30whp. This system offers even more power, and is easier to install.
FRSRAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #1706
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Fenton,

Do we know if the Ecutek tune will be an additional cost? Thanks.
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #1707
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Does anyone know why this wouldn't be a good replacement for our starting battery (it would fit in a bigger battery tray with the other two batteries if you put it on end)? Don't know much about the company.

Kinetik HC800

<< Previous in Batteries and Power Cells Next in Batteries and Power Cells >>

View Larger Image
Free shipping on orders over $99!
3 Year Warranty Included!
Brand New, Factory Sealed

Kinetik KHC800 Power Cell More powerful than 200 1 farad caps!
Retail Price: $249.99
Your Price: $119.00
Item Number: KHC800
Manufacturer: Kinetik
Manufacturer Part No: HC800

Quantity:Submit

Email this page to a friend

SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Kinetik HC800 Power Cell
More powerful than 200 1 farad caps!
Compact power that fits anywhere. Use as a reinforcement for amplifiers or as your starting battery where weight is a concern, such as racing applications.

Specifications
Weight: 26 lbs.
Ah: 36
Amps: 950
Dimensions: 7.6" x 5" x 6"
Suggested Retail: $249.99

AGM Technology
Sealed Non-Spillable Design
Mount In Any Position
Ultra Low ESR
More Plates For Stronger Energy Density
Higher Voltage Under Load
Tightly Packed Cells
Superior Heat & Vibration Resistance
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #1708
fenton

Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
Fenton,

Do we know if the Ecutek tune will be an additional cost? Thanks.
Final pricing is still not known. I believe he is working towards getting canned tunes however i dont know how that will or will not be integrated.

Just stay tuned, all this will be revealed when the unit is out of testing im sure.

There is still the option that Pug and Rob are working on which will require NO TUNE.

We really are in the infancy of the product.... im guessing most will want a dyno tune just as you would with any other kit to get the most out of it.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-05-2013)

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive