follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unichip: My first Mod

Since the purchase of my beloved Scion FRS daily driver, I have become a member of this forum. This forum has been great because it has given me the education and opportunity to learn about my car and after-market modifications. For a while, I had been entertaining the thought of getting a mod and after much research I decided to go with the Unichip. This is the only the beginning. I see headers back and light weight rims in the near future

Of course, the “no footprint” deal was a driving factor in my decision to purchase the car. After all, why not get a used BMW if your going to void a warranty? But, it was the proposed gains in power that ultimately drove my decision….. that and Jack with Unichip, convincing me that getting a tune is not going to ruin my car.

In any event, I got a great deal on the plug n play kit with the loaded map and additional cable shipped to my house. I picked up the box, tore it open and started flipping through the contents. Very nice packaging, quality cables and detailed instructions.. I felt a slight movement in my pants.

Now began the installation of the product. Prior to my purchase I had already a strong understanding of what to expect in regards to the install and computer software. Therefore, the install was rather straight forward but, what I did not expect was just how difficult some of the cables in my car were to reach and pull apart. I simply could not do it. Maybe it’s because I have large of hands? My uncle, who has smaller hands, was able to help me out but it was not without great effort and TIME on his part that he was able to pull apart the cables on the crank sensor and throttle body. To be honest, I am already dreading removing it for my trip at 5k to the dealer for an oil change.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7dd-hjbNMQ"]Scion FR-S Unichip Installation - YouTube[/ame]

Follow the link above for details on how to install. I used this and the directions included. The video was the best source. Seriously though, apart from those cables that took us like 30 minutes to pull apart, the installation is easy pz.

In any event, the chip mounts nicely to the fuse box and I had plenty of twist ties to neatly tuck in my cables. The Unichip had already been programed for my stock frs so I needed not screw with the software at this time. Turned on the car and drove

Movement in my pants growing stronger in anticipation.

At first, I had honestly thought that something was wrong with my car because at low rpms the engine felt too strong/solid or almost heavy. I continued to drive it and that’s when I began to understand that my car was now able to grab more power/tq at lower rpm’s than stock. As you all are aware, a bone stock FRS may often require you to really rev it up to get from 1st, 2nd, 3rd so it doesn't choke and stall. You really got to get on it to feel that power you love but, with this new stock tune the pull was at lower rpms and I could more easily change gears. I can leave it in 3rd and 4th gear at lower rpms (like 2k) and still pull comfortably without having to downshift. It has absolutely changed the car.

I honestly couldn't believe what was going on and pulled over to calm my nerves and tell myself that everything is going to be ok with my baby… this is what a tune does… embrace it. I continued to drive on back roads on my way to the highway and hadn't even opened her up to above 3.5 - 4k. I had not the opportunity because she pulls hard enough below 3.5 - 4k that I can change gears and not get that slight “clunk, car shaking feeling” you get when you drive a standard.

In any event, I finally made my way to the entrance of the highway and f’ing gunned it.. I brought that thing to 7k in 1st, 2nd and by the 3rd gear I had a full on raging erection. The power is absolutely their and my car has, in many ways, been transformed into a different type of beast. I love the lower end tq.. I love it.. so much easier to drive in traffic and I don’t feel the need to let the engine constantly scream or rev high to get about (don’t get me wrong, I love this high rev’ing engine). The engine sounds a little different.. a bit more “angry” if you will. Maybe this has something to do with the change in timing and fuel? but, let their be no doubt, it sounds different.

A few days later I finally had the opportunity to utilize the software and change the maps around.

The following link, as well as the instructions provided, helped me to install this stuff. Honestly, I am already pretty good with computer shit so I didn’t struggle much except for the chronic “failure to update” errors and crashes that followed when I tried to update.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aeTRpFRqsg"]Unichip Map uploading Software - YouTube[/ame]

I believe you can find another youtube link on the unichip main website to assist you. If you have windows 7 you can skip an additional step in the process that XP owners would otherwise have to do.

I have tried three maps thus far:

Stock map (I used the “All Drop In filters” map listed under standard Fuel and Timing because it’s the actual change in the intake tube which would require a customization in the Unichip map tune. The intake tube stays stock if you only change the filter.)

Timing +1 Standard Fuel In (most aggressive map I have used yet.) Timing +1 and Fuel -1 is the most aggressive you can use overall. I have not tried this yet.

Timing out and fuel In which is the most conservative and drives very much like the stock FRS. With this map I find myself reving it up higher to get about but I can tell there is still more power than stock.

A few subtle differences that I would like to discuss. 1st, I swear to god I get the chirping much more often than before from the fuel pump.. maybe its in my head but I hear it more often now. I guess that is expected because I am asking the car to work a little harder.

Second, my fuel mileage has dropped (27.8 to ~27.2) I thought that my fuel mileage was supposed to improve?? Maybe it will, after all I have been driving like a crazy bastard letting it rev and scream since I installed the chip.

On start I feel as though the car idle’s a little higher and takes a bit more time to get below 1k. The fact that it has dropped 10 or more degrees outside this week will also have something to do with it but it generally feels more rough.

On a side note, the guys from Unichip, especially Jack, are really top notch. Always willing to speak with you and answer any questions you may have. You can tell that the guys love this stuff and they love to teach. Simply go to their website and you will find a plethora of resources and information to educate you.

Conclusion: get this chip, if you have not tuned your car yet.. do it, stop waiting, don’t be scared like I was.. just do it. I will never drive this car again without the chip.. not after driving with a tune for one week.. never again. From my research I understand that a piggy back is not the most optimal method to achieve the greatest performance but , unless your loaded, why on earth would you want to screw with your warranty?

Question, now that I am asking more of my engine do you think I should get my oil change more frequently?.. more than the recommended amount?

thanks,
Josh

Last edited by Boofneenee; 09-25-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Boofneenee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
86-tundra (09-26-2013), DAEMANO (09-26-2013), dubaar (06-30-2015), IceFyre13th (09-26-2013), neutron256 (09-26-2013), Rayme (09-26-2013), Ray_32 (09-26-2013), SirBrass (11-14-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
This is actually a really great post. As far as your gas milage, lead foot + new toys = decrease in MPGs that outweigh the increase from the unichip. Thanks for the detailed review - may have to pick one up in the near future
86-tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
great review definitly reinforced my want for the unichip. Did you have to change the maps in the computer or did you just want to. was there anything wrong w/ the maps it came w/? What are your future mod plans now?
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Don't worry about the uninstall. I took it off pretty easily for my oil change and put it back on about 3x faster than when I installed it the first time. If you have a wife or gf their small hands may help a lot.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
tinma

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I thought doing a tune would void ur warranty?
tinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
Young_makaveli

Drives: 2013 frs
Very nice review but of your afraid for the uninstall why not just do the oil change yourself?
Young_makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
great review definitly reinforced my want for the unichip. Did you have to change the maps in the computer or did you just want to. was there anything wrong w/ the maps it came w/? What are your future mod plans now?
I am glad you brought this up because I did not really go into depth. Switching the maps for your car is an incredible feature that I did not expect to really, REALLY appreciate until now. Prior to owning the chip, I said to myself that I am going to leave it on the default, standard and optimal tune but this is no longer the case. I LOVE changing maps before a drive pending my mood or attitude.. Do I feel like a f'ing bad ass drag racer today? If so, I will choose something aggressive. Something with more tq and power in general. However, if I miss the feel of a stock FRS,.. that really high reving engine that you got to get on to feel the power then I will select a more conservative map. With the flip of a switch I can turn on my car and drive a slightly different car. I don't mean to mislead anyone into thinking this car transforms into something that is not a high rever..this is not the case. All I am saying is that when I have the map on with more tq I don't necessarily have to or want to let it rev to go about. The change in low end tq is enough to sort of let me putter around. I cant tell you how much I welcome the change as I drive to and from work in city traffic. stop and go stop and go

Nothing was wrong with the maps on the chip on arrival. The welcome packet listed that this Unichip was preloaded with 92 octane fuel for a stock FRS. You can switch between two maps with the flip of a switch that is attached to the chip under your hood. You can switch between 5 different maps in total if you have the Flux ... I do not. In any event, the switch that you can use to flip between maps is marked with an O and 1 icon. 0 is the main map and 1 is actually #2 when you are looking at the software. This was confusing to me at first and I had to call Jack to confirm. For example,

when you are using the software to remap the screen will show you 5 maps to load. The top or 1st map is called "main map" and the next down is called map 2, then map 3, 4 and finally map 5. Why the people at Unichip would use a 0 and 1 key on the switch under the hood instead of M for Main and 2 for map 2 is silly. Or change the software to read map 0,1,2,3,4 and not Main map.. anyway
Here is a link to some dood showing you just how easy it is to load maps on the car. He is doing it from his laptop while standing outside his car. I do the same ..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJapFPyTXOA"]Remapping the Unichip Q EMS on the 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited - YouTube[/ame]
Old 09-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinma View Post
I thought doing a tune would void ur warranty?
yes, tuning your car will void your warranty. However, with the unichip and ONLY the unichip can you tune your car and leave not footprint.. not get caught. I have been following the latest tune offered in the form of a tablet. It is supposed to capture you more power but it still leaves a trace. As long as you uninstall the unichip before your bring it to the dealer they cannot detect a tune was ever done.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
alderaan34

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
Great review, I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and I actually found my idle to be much smoother, I don't get those randoms dips in the idle like I used to, gas mileage hasn't changed, I don't get to use the freeways much so I stay around 24 mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
alderaan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
For those without a Flux2 display......

Little birdy told me a secret........

http://www.unichipwholesale.com/prod...ction-switches

I have the 5 map electronic switch now.

But if you want my Flux2 display, $175 shipped lower USA 48 (anywhere else plus shipping)
Old 09-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFyre13th View Post
For those without a Flux2 display......

Little birdy told me a secret........

http://www.unichipwholesale.com/prod...ction-switches

I have the 5 map electronic switch now.

But if you want my Flux2 display, $175 shipped lower USA 48 (anywhere else plus shipping)
if you dont mind me asking.. why are you selling your Flux2?
I understand it does more than just toggle between 5 maps.. like track your 0 - 60 speeds
Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I use the Torque app that dose even more than the Flux.......the Flux is a good product, and works well with the UniChip. I just wanted a few more options.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Ray_32

Drives: '12 Toyota 86 (RED) MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lovely review, just made me want to get the Unichip sooner, especially after I install the header and overpipe. Thanks for sharing!
Ray_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
Unichip Jack

Drives: E36 M3, Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
... and on sale this weekend...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...63#post1233463

Cheers
Unichip Jack is offline   Reply With Quote