follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #29
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have an MS-8 as well. I haven't installed it yet in my FRS but had it in my previous car. A tC. It made a noticeable difference for my 3-way comps. For reference I've been tinkering with car audio for 25+ years; not professionally but have been in several competitions and worked closely with shops over the years. I'm considering opening my own shop when I finally retire from the AF.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #30
rupert
Audio & Bacon Junkie

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound View Post
I have installed and tuned over 300 dsps..25 or so were ms8s. There r advantages and disadvantages of it versus a more traditional unit. I will try to elaborate more when im back from vacation.

But two things for sure.

1. Ms8 never did or will. Replace an experienced tuner in a car. It was never meant to be that.

2. Experience still counts a lot when setting up the ms8. I would not call it a dsp for someone with zero knowledge. Rather someone with good and solid fundamentals in audio can achieve decent results in as little as 10 to 15 mins.

B

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
What has been surprising is the positive comments here concerning the RF 360.3. After reading on DIYMA, I thought the consensus was "meh". I bought one for my upcoming build knowing full well the issues of the GUI. For the price, the features it provides are perfect. I just hope I can get a decent amount tuned on my own before calling in a friend of mine

BTW... I love your avatar choice. Big GiTS fan!
rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #31
Skywgn1

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (manual)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If you want to go old school I have a Rockford Symmetry EPX2 with the 28 band eq and the D-Card sitting in my closet.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #32
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
DSPs...

Bit Ten or if you can afford it Bit ONE, nothing touches em really for the money IMO.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #33
Zippy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Arc Audio PS-8.
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #34
simplicityinsound

Drives: 2010 Subaru LGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
DSPs...

Bit Ten or if you can afford it Bit ONE, nothing touches em really for the money IMO.
There r many good dsps out there that I consider equals. I personally am not a fan of the bit processors but u can acheive good results with them.

I wanna see what they come up w version 2s to compete with the newer products that have more tuning ability.

Last edited by simplicityinsound; 06-08-2013 at 08:40 PM.
simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:02 AM   #35
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
There r many good dsps out there that I consider equals. I personally am not a fan of the bit processors but u can acheive good results with them.

I wanna see what they come up w version 2s to compete with the newer products that have more tuning ability.

I'm gonna come off like as ass but, its typical that people the "really like" the 6to8 dislike the bitone..... I think its bias honestly. Do you have any legitimate reason to not like the bitone?
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #36
simplicityinsound

Drives: 2010 Subaru LGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinbill View Post
I'm gonna come off like as ass but, its typical that people the "really like" the 6to8 dislike the bitone..... I think its bias honestly. Do you have any legitimate reason to not like the bitone?
I can understand why you feel that way, but rest assured i dont just develop a bias out of thin air Again, please remember i said its just MY OPINION that i dont prefer the bit products, i am not saying its a bad unit an others shouldnt like it and that many DSPs are equals with no clear winner.

I have installed quite a few bitones and helped tune many more...so my preference is based on those experiences.

as for the 6to8, i do like the unit, but it is not pefect either, there are quite a few elements that i like more that comes on the bitone than the 6to8, but my final conclusion is that overall for system tuning and install, i prefer units other than the bit processors.

as to my exact reasons, i dont think its my place to list those things publically on the forum, if you want i can PM you the full details.

but i will say the central point is that for me, i prefer to tune with a full parametric eq with infinitely adjustable center frequencies and fully adjustable Qs. I feel that have a lot more flexility with this set up than a graphic eq and can achieve my desired results a lot faster.

That is why i prefer processors with this feature over the ones with graphic EQs

Old 06-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #37
OnionTou

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, I never expected to have so many options in the market, perhaps I'll have to import one, since in Peru we seem to only get JBL stuff.

Any advice in "easy-ness" to setup and change config? the audio store will do the initial work, but I'm more concerned if I want to tweak it down the line.
OnionTou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #38
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I can understand why you feel that way, but rest assured i dont just develop a bias out of thin air Again, please remember i said its just MY OPINION that i dont prefer the bit products, i am not saying its a bad unit an others shouldnt like it and that many DSPs are equals with no clear winner.

I have installed quite a few bitones and helped tune many more...so my preference is based on those experiences.

as for the 6to8, i do like the unit, but it is not pefect either, there are quite a few elements that i like more that comes on the bitone than the 6to8, but my final conclusion is that overall for system tuning and install, i prefer units other than the bit processors.

as to my exact reasons, i dont think its my place to list those things publically on the forum, if you want i can PM you the full details.

but i will say the central point is that for me, i prefer to tune with a full parametric eq with infinitely adjustable center frequencies and fully adjustable Qs. I feel that have a lot more flexility with this set up than a graphic eq and can achieve my desired results a lot faster.

That is why i prefer processors with this feature over the ones with graphic EQs

Fair enough reasons and I understand, I think it is what we become most familiar with plays a role in what we prefer as well for sure.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #39
Fletchlives78

Drives: 86 gts. Tornado grey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have an ms-8 plugged into the stock head unit and speakers. Sounds great. Easy to set up.
Fletchlives78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #40
Skippman

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'd love to hear the 6to8 but there's no dealers in the STL who carry their products.
Skippman is offline   Reply With Quote