follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2016, 03:46 AM   #1779
bangthepoopoos

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey guys, quick question.

I've purchased a second hand kit that is missing the long bolt that bolts the headers to the engine and am having some trouble getting a reply from AVO regarding it so I was wondering if anyone could find me the specs of the bolt itself so I can see if I can find a replacement elsewhere? Having the hardest time googling the answer D:

EDIT: I think I've found it to be a M8x1.25 60mm (If this is incorrect please let me know)

Also the Silicone 70-65mm reducer isn't there so I need the length for that also.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by bangthepoopoos; 06-28-2016 at 05:07 AM.
bangthepoopoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #1780
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
I'm selling an AVO bov and a couple of boost solenoids, incase anyone is interested

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107909
Old 07-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #1781
VR4EVER

Drives: 2013 LS3 FRS, 3000GT VR4, MKV Supra
Hoping you all can shine some quick light on a question I have:

I bought an FRS with an AVO turbo kit on it about two weeks ago. The car has a P3 gauge installed which gives me readouts of pretty much everything the OBD can read.

I have searched all over the place for this, but can't find a direct answer... what can the stock MAP read up to? I ask because my car was "tuned on 9psi @ 270whp" according to the PO, but my gauge only reads to 5.5PSI then holds there, no creep or dropoff at all. Supposedly it had a 3bar MAP put on it.

So I figure 1 of these 3 options is the issue:
- Stock MAP only reads to 5.5 and I have a stock MAP
- 3 bar MAP installed but not calibrated in my tune correctly
- 3 bar MAP installed, calibrated correctly, and I'm actually only boosting 5.5psi

Assuming I have a stock MAP sensor, do I have to get a new tune in order to get a 3 bar MAP (or otherwise) to work? Anyone know the stock MAP sensor part # off hand?

Thank you for the help!
VR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #1782
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Stock map goes to about 6, so 5.5 could make sense. However base spring pressure on the waste gate is between 5.5-6psi also (which is where my boost hits every time on my first map)

I would check all of your lines to your BOV and wastegate, ensure that nothing has blown off (common) or dried up and broke off (common for cheap vacuum lines) If that is happening, you would rely on the stock waste gate pressure and only be hitting 5.5-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR4EVER View Post
Hoping you all can shine some quick light on a question I have:

I bought an FRS with an AVO turbo kit on it about two weeks ago. The car has a P3 gauge installed which gives me readouts of pretty much everything the OBD can read.

I have searched all over the place for this, but can't find a direct answer... what can the stock MAP read up to? I ask because my car was "tuned on 9psi @ 270whp" according to the PO, but my gauge only reads to 5.5PSI then holds there, no creep or dropoff at all. Supposedly it had a 3bar MAP put on it.

So I figure 1 of these 3 options is the issue:
- Stock MAP only reads to 5.5 and I have a stock MAP
- 3 bar MAP installed but not calibrated in my tune correctly
- 3 bar MAP installed, calibrated correctly, and I'm actually only boosting 5.5psi

Assuming I have a stock MAP sensor, do I have to get a new tune in order to get a 3 bar MAP (or otherwise) to work? Anyone know the stock MAP sensor part # off hand?

Thank you for the help!
Old 07-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #1783
GremlinGSP

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
Mine reads up to 9 with a P3 gauge. You will most likely need an updated tune file if you change the map sensor.

Should be able to pop the hood and check the map sensor easily to see if it is aftermarket.
GremlinGSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #1784
VR4EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinGSP View Post
Mine reads up to 9 with a P3 gauge. You will most likely need an updated tune file if you change the map sensor.

Should be able to pop the hood and check the map sensor easily to see if it is aftermarket.
Agreed! Thanks for the tips guys, I'll dig into it this weekend. Would be great if it actually was only hitting 5.5... room on the table!

Y'all know the stock map part number? I'll search for it as well, figured I'd ask.

Thanks again
Old 07-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #1785
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
Stock map goes to about 6, so 5.5 could make sense. However base spring pressure on the waste gate is between 5.5-6psi also (which is where my boost hits every time on my first map)

I would check all of your lines to your BOV and wastegate, ensure that nothing has blown off (common) or dried up and broke off (common for cheap vacuum lines) If that is happening, you would rely on the stock waste gate pressure and only be hitting 5.5-6
In my experience its 0.33 bar or ~4.8 psi. I hit this on the ESC. I got a CEL for the MAP over voltage.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #1786
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo585 View Post
In my experience its 0.33 bar or ~4.8 psi. I hit this on the ESC. I got a CEL for the MAP over voltage.
I have never had a CEL for map over voltage, ever... and most people said arodn 6. The answer is out there, some where
Old 07-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #1787
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
I have never had a CEL for map over voltage, ever... and most people said arodn 6. The answer is out there, some where
Could because you/tuner deleted it in ecutek lol. Mind doesn't either only the first pull then the tuner deleted it. Also added in more scaling to the MAF to be safe in case it peaks and goes "blind". For this reason my tune is not speed-density based.

Too lazy to do much research its either 1.3-1.6-2.0 bar from what I gather.

My tuner says 1.33 iirc. Hes well known and has done hundreds of cars look at my sig.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #1788
VR4EVER

My car was tuned by Pure Automotive Performance up in Maryland... which I know is a good shop, especially for these cars. I have searched... a lot... but I have not found a single thread that explicitly says what the MAP sensor can read up to. I haven't even gotten a straight answer in here...

I'm pretty sure I have a boost gauge laying around... I'll rig something up this weekend so I can see in car what the boost actually is and go from there. Really sucks that I have to get it retuned for something so simple. I am amazed a reputable shop like that would tune a car without a proper MAP sensor considering the engine will have a hard time protecting itself if you spike boost.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:21 AM   #1789
JD86

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR4EVER View Post
I'm pretty sure I have a boost gauge laying around... I'll rig something up this weekend so I can see in car what the boost actually is and go from there.
Simplest method of checking... Pop the hood, lift off the plastic cap that says subaru/toyota on the top of the manifold and look at your sensor. If it's an aftermarket one it will most likely say omni on it in bright yellow (that's what most everyone is using). Should answer your question. A good example is the third photo in this link, from memory the standard sensors are plain black.
http://speed.academy/scion-frs-jacks...-dyno-results/

If it's an after market you shouldn't be getting any correct readings at all as the scalings would be way off. My car didn't even run with the wrong sensor calibration in there. If the stock is still installed that would answer your question.
There's also an ecutek walk through on adjusting your map scalings yourself if you have an ecutek cable and your tune isn't locked.
JD86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #1790
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
AVO's excellent warrenty support...

FUCK you Paul!...

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #1791
Astroboy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I blew my motor picking up a new one. Boss was generous enough to loan me a car and is going to help me install it there at the shop. He was laughing at the size of it it's hard finding friends like this

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #1792
onzippy

Drives: 2014 FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
I blew my motor .....

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Do you know what you did to blow it? user error, tuner, kit, or just motor failure on what you have been running...?

Last edited by onzippy; 07-12-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: edited for specific detail
onzippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onzippy For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (07-12-2016)

Tags
avo, avoturboworld