follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Subaru BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #43
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Question, how is buying another brand new car on finance comes under practicing what you preach?
holy crap. this is the best post ever. and it came from you? well done
Old 07-14-2014, 01:52 AM   #44
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Your FRS was nicely modded...hopefully the next owner will treat her right

Damn family responsibilities, the wife is going to get her new RAV4 this year before I can get my FRS...
Thank you, sir!

YUP! Sucks that family always come first!! You'll get it eventually! I can't wait until you do!
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (07-16-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #45
D88

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hold on. What was all the stuff about not financing a vehicle you spat at me once? Now I find out you were financing your FR-S this whole time??? AND upside down on the loan? Something's amiss here.
D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #46
Cliu91
Cliuless

Drives: Whiteout Scion FRS 2014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D88 View Post
Hold on. What was all the stuff about not financing a vehicle you spat at me once? Now I find out you were financing your FR-S this whole time??? AND upside down on the loan? Something's amiss here.
Your avatar is perfect for this post LOL
Cliu91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #47
MeehowsBRZ
Banned

Drives: BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Sounds like this guy's been giving a couple people advice he doesn't follow himself. The moral of the story is, don't take financial advice from strangers on the internet.

"Buying new and often is exactly what this thread is about. Scary that it happens so often. Not referring to you, but buying new is a waste of money. Period. I did it with this one and will never do it again. I can't believe that I'm STILL flipped on the stupid thing after a year and a half, even with money down! All it did was get me a lower car payment. Only way I personally feel anyone can justify it is if they are keeping the car 10+ years. Sadly, with the culture that surrounds us it's hard to be happy with stuff that is a couple years old. You can see it on these forums with people trading in their "base level" FRS for one of the dealer scams (limited models) within a year of buying their current car. It's ludacris."

Last edited by MeehowsBRZ; 07-16-2014 at 11:47 AM.
MeehowsBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #48
suaveflooder

Quote:
I never hid that I financed the car. And I've written many times, don't finance a "toy." I have PERSONALLY always been told to pay for a "toy" with cash. With the FRS i ignored that rule and it burned me. I have created my own story to "tell on myself" and I've used it many times meeting with clients. The bummer is now I can't point to the car anymore. Your "buddy" below found a post where i talked about it. 9 times out of 10, it's going to kick your butt. The FRS is a niche car, so it dropped like a freakin' rock in value. I've mentioned many times that it was a horrible decision because it wasn't practical. I couldn't keep it for a long time because I would "outgrow" it. In fact, I kind of already had. I was having to borrow my wife's civic to get some of my work stuff around because the FRS couldn't fit it. If the FRS was a car I could keep for 10+ years and not outgrow, I would be singing a slightly different tune.

As far as me "spitting" at you, what my caution is to people is that I see young people jumping out of college, getting their first job, then buying their new car right away and upping their life style to live at or above their means. Oddly enough, I've been living below my means for awhile to pay off past debts that my wife and I have (we live on my wife's salary alone). I am absolutly not perfect. Never have been, but I am working on it. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.

I also apologize if this news dissapoints you. I am in no way delusional in thinking I can "afford the car." We can easily make the payments, but that doesn't matter IMHO. 0% interest or not, it's still not paid for with cash and I still owe someone money. I HATE it. Stepping back from the situation a bit, this was an 8 month long decision. I knew the FRS was a bad decision, but there was no good way to fix it….until I walked into subaru, they paid off the FRS (well all but a grand which my wife and I paid out of pocket), and gave us the outback at 0% interest and well below invoice since it was a left over 2014 and all the '15's were already in. As much as it pained me to get rid of the FRS, the outback IS something I can keep for 10 years and not outgrow. At that point, financing, is something worth doing.

I didn't trade up for another impractical sports car. It's odd being one of "the crowd" now in my 7 year old '07 Honda civic, lol. It's been paid off for a couple years, and I'll probably run it into the ground.

I hope that kind of explains the "method to my madness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ View Post
Sounds like this guy's been giving a couple people advice he doesn't follow himself. The moral of the story is, don't take financial advice from strangers on the internet.

"Buying new and often is exactly what this thread is about. Scary that it happens so often. Not referring to you, but buying new is a waste of money. Period. I did it with this one and will never do it again. I can't believe that I'm STILL flipped on the stupid thing after a year and a half, even with money down! All it did was get me a lower car payment. Only way I personally feel anyone can justify it is if they are keeping the car 10+ years. Sadly, with the culture that surrounds us it's hard to be happy with stuff that is a couple years old. You can see it on these forums with people trading in their "base level" FRS for one of the dealer scams (limited models) within a year of buying their current car. It's ludacris."

Going to try keep your response a little shorter since it since you already have your lanturn and pitchfork out

Highlighted a couple things for you. I'm actually glad you picked this quote to post. The Outback will be kept for 10 years, just like the Civic we own. We financed the Civic as well, and I still have AT LEAST 4 years of ownership left (unless I blow the motor…it's an 07 that we bought in 08, so I'll let you do the math ). It has been paid off for two years and that payment has been put toward debt, not other things.

Second, what I was talking about being ludacris is trading a car in to get a new version of the EXACT SAME CAR with a different trim package, ESPECIALLY when most of that trim package can be had cheaper aftermarket.

As far as financing a new car, I actually went in to look at used. They had three on the lot. Oddly enough, the "new" leftover outback was cheaper than the used ones! The new didn't have the moon roof and reverse camera and a couple other little things. So, I got the outback with 95 miles for $28k, and the USED outback with 8kmiles was $28,300 or so! Plus, he told me he could give me more money toward the FRS on a new car than he could the used….to top it all off, with the new he could do the 0% interest deal.

Sign me up, BABY!!! Practical? Yes! Can I keep it 10 years? Yup! Will I outgrow it? No sir!! Am I paying the bank any money? NOPE!!! Am I buying the same car with a different package?! Absolutly not!!

And the most important question. Will it hinder my financial plan? You see, I had a date as to when I will be 100% debt free (this includes the wife's school loans)…. 5 years, 4 months. This was VERY important to me, because other than purchasing a house, that was it for me! I had made the decision awhile ago to not go past that time frame.

My loan is 0% interest for 63 months ()=). That's basically 5 years and 4 months……

I'm keeping to my plan….holding to what I preach. Am I happy about paying for another car? Not at all. What makes it "okay" and in my realm of "acceptable" is that I CAN keep it for 10+ and it's not something I will out grow.

Last and final thing….I was a little concerned about gas mileage. Thankfully the Outback can use regular, unilike the FRS, so it's a couple bucks cheaper each time, but what about mileage. It's gotta get horrible mileage compared to the FRS. I mean, it's a much bigger car! When we finally filled the car up for the first time, I held my breath and took a look….

BOOOMSHAKALAKA!!

And the FRS on my 2nd to last fill up

Not too shabby. The wife is stoked….my pride is shot (I'm driving a freakin' civic for goodness sakes), and my dream of financial freedom will not be drawn out any longer. Not going to lie, I'm sleeping MUCH better at night not trying to figure out "how am I going to make a family work with two 2 door cars?!"

Last edited by suaveflooder; 07-17-2014 at 01:07 AM.
johnb831 (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #49
BadMoon

Drives: 2014 GLI Autobahn/Nav
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
Yup, today was that day. I've been talking about being "responsible" for awhile and decided it was about time to practice what I preach. I think payments are crazy on a fun car (just my personal opinion, not trying to start an arguement ), so today I traded her in.

"Traded her in?" you ask. Yup. The wife and I have been talking about getting an outback for about 6 - 8 months as we plan to start a family soon, but we were a little flipped on the FRS. Only reason we wouldn't trade in the civic is we have no desire for a second car payment, and as all of you know, civics last FOREVER with no oil, no wheels, and no coolant

I was driving by the subaru dealer today and noticed a leftover '14 outback on the lot in white (my favorite color for a car hands down), and I stopped to take a look. Sales guy came out and we talked for a bit. Guy was freakin' HUGE!!! I'm talking 6'5" Come to find out he recently traded in his 450 AWD STI for a similar "family" or "responsibility" venture and got the Subaru Crosstreck.

I asked him if he was willing to run some numbers knowing that I would probably walk away because we were upsidedown on the scion. He said, "Sure!" He walk out of the room for a couple minutes and told me he would give me $21k for the FRS. DONE! That was probably more than I could get for the car off this forum.

3 hours later, the keys to the FRS were handed over and I surprised the wife with HER new car. She is very happy, and it is well deserved! I am the proud owner of her 07 civic for the time being. I did let her know that I wanted my Aston Martin within the next 10 years. She said, "You got it!"

Anyway, here she is! The wife's new DD. 2014 Subaru Outback with 95 miles on it.

This thing is HUGE compared to the FRS (duh)

And the last time I saw my little girl

Congrats man. I did the same thing.

BadMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BadMoon For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #50
AVodka14

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Congrats re good trade in value. Hate to you see go. You have been a good contributor to this forum. What is your next sports car? Beside the Aston Martin ;-)
AVodka14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AVodka14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #51
suaveflooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVodka14 View Post
Congrats re good trade in value. Hate to you see go. You have been a good contributor to this forum. What is your next sports car? Beside the Aston Martin ;-)

Gonna stick with the Aston . Still have a bit of time, but I can't wait!! Not gone yet. Probably be a little quieter, but this forum is too good to ditch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by suaveflooder; 07-16-2014 at 11:34 PM.
AVodka14 (07-17-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 11:06 PM   #52
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not going to lie, I'm sleeping MUCH better at night not trying to figure out "how am I going to make a family work with two 2 door cars?!"
My parents did it with a '63 VW Bug and four kids. Of course, seat belts were'nt required back then. We're all still here!
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete156 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #53
suaveflooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
My parents did it with a '63 VW Bug and four kids. Of course, seat belts were'nt required back then. We're all still here!
HAHAH! Good 'ol days, right? My mom made it through a riviara (sp?) Where she slept on the rear window part….lol.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #54
Drift&Drag
TURBOLICIOUS

Drives: a machine :]
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Congrats on your new purchase bro!
Drift&Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drift&Drag For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 01:13 AM   #55
MeehowsBRZ
Banned

Drives: BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
I never hid that I financed the car. And I've written many times, don't finance a "toy." I have PERSONALLY always been told to pay for a "toy" with cash. With the FRS i ignored that rule and it burned me. I have created my own story to "tell on myself" and I've used it many times meeting with clients. The bummer is now I can't point to the car anymore. Your "buddy" below found a post where i talked about it. 9 times out of 10, it's going to kick your butt. The FRS is a nitch car, so it dropped like a freakin' rock in value. I've mentioned many times that it was a horrible decision because it wasn't practical. I couldn't keep it for a long time because I would "outgrow" it. In fact, I kind of already had. I was having to borrow my wife's civic to get some of my work stuff around because the FRS couldn't fit it. If the FRS was a car I could keep for 10+ years and not outgrow, I would be singing a slightly different tune.

As far as me "spitting" at you, what my caution is to people is that I see young people jumping out of college, getting their first job, then buying their new car right away and upping their life style to live at or above their means. Oddly enough, I've been living below my means for awhile to pay off past debts that my wife and I have (we live on my wife's salary alone). I am absolutly not perfect. Never have been, but I am working on it. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.

I also apologize if this news dissapoints you. I am in no way delusional in thinking I can "afford the car." We can easily make the payments, but that doesn't matter IMHO. 0% interest or not, it's still not paid for with cash and I still owe someone money. I HATE it. Stepping back from the situation a bit, this was an 8 month long decision. I knew the FRS was a bad decision, but there was no good way to fix it….until I walked into subaru, they paid off the FRS (well all but a grand which my wife and I paid out of pocket), and gave us the outback at 0% interest and well below invoice since it was a left over 2014 and all the '15's were already in. As much as it pained me to get rid of the FRS, the outback IS something I can keep for 10 years and not outgrow. At that point, financing, is something worth doing.

I didn't trade up for another impractical sports car. It's odd being one of "the crowd" now in my 7 year old '07 Honda civic, lol. It's been paid off for a couple years, and I'll probably run it into the ground.

I hope that kind of explains the "method to my madness"

Going to try keep your response a little shorter since it since you already have your lanturn and pitchfork out

Highlighted a couple things for you. I'm actually glad you picked this quote to post. The Outback will be kept for 10 years, just like the Civic we own. We financed the Civic as well, and I still have AT LEAST 4 years of ownership left (unless I blow the motor…it's an 07 that we bought in 08, so I'll let you do the math ). It has been paid off for two years and that payment has been put toward debt, not other things.

Second, what I was talking about being ludacris is trading a car in to get a new version of the EXACT SAME CAR with a different trim package, ESPECIALLY when most of that trim package can be had cheaper aftermarket.

As far as financing a new car, I actually went in to look at used. They had three on the lot. Oddly enough, the "new" leftover outback was cheaper than the used ones! The new didn't have the moon roof and reverse camera and a couple other little things. So, I got the outback with 95 miles for $28k, and the USED outback with 8kmiles was $28,300 or so! Plus, he told me he could give me more money toward the FRS on a new car than he could the used….to top it all off, with the new he could do the 0% interest deal.

Sign me up, BABY!!! Practical? Yes! Can I keep it 10 years? Yup! Will I outgrow it? No sir!! Am I paying the bank any money? NOPE!!! Am I buying the same car with a different package?! Absolutly not!!

And the most important question. Will it hinder my financial plan? You see, I had a date as to when I will be 100% debt free (this includes the wife's school loans)…. 5 years, 4 months. This was VERY important to me, because other than purchasing a house, that was it for me! I had made the decision awhile ago to not go past that time frame.

My loan is 0% interest for 63 months ()=). That's basically 5 years and 4 months……

I'm keeping to my plan….holding to what I preach. Am I happy about paying for another car? Not at all. What makes it "okay" and in my realm of "acceptable" is that I CAN keep it for 10+ and it's not something I will out grow.

Last and final thing….I was a little concerned about gas mileage. Thankfully the Outback can use regular, unilike the FRS, so it's a couple bucks cheaper each time, but what about mileage. It's gotta get horrible mileage compared to the FRS. I mean, it's a much bigger car! When we finally filled the car up for the first time, I held my breath and took a look….

BOOOMSHAKALAKA!!

And the FRS on my 2nd to last fill up

Not too shabby. The wife is stoked….my pride is shot (I'm driving a freakin' civic for goodness sakes), and my dream of financial freedom will not be drawn out any longer. Not going to lie, I'm sleeping MUCH better at night not trying to figure out "how am I going to make a family work with two 2 door cars?!"
You couldn't afford the car you bought and traded it in for a car you don't currently need while losing money on the trade. (you don't have children and you're making huge assumptions about your future) Yes, you make it sound like you got a great deal, but we all know dealerships aren't in the business of being generous people. You obviosuly lost money on your trade in. All I said was that people shouldn't listen to advice from someone who shouldn't be giving it. Honestly, the way you describe your financial situation, (5 years worth of debt), another near $30k car is not something you should be purchasing IMO. 5 years of debt =/= I can afford car payments on a brand new car. Seriously, how are you a going to sit there with a straight face and try and justify multiple purchases you shouldn't be making?
MeehowsBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:37 AM   #56
suaveflooder

Sad Day. Goodbye, my love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ View Post
You couldn't afford the car you bought and traded it in for a car you don't currently need while losing money on the trade. (you don't have children and you're making huge assumptions about your future) Yes, you make it sound like you got a great deal, but we all know dealerships aren't in the business of being generous people. All I said was that people shouldn't listen to advice from someone who shouldn't be giving it. Honestly, the way you describe your financial situation (5 years worth of debt) another near $30k car is not something you should be purchasing IMO. 5 years of debt =/= I can afford car payments on a brand new car
LOL! It took you a bit to come up with your response. My version of "afford" and most people's version of "afford" are much different. If I can't pay for it in cash, I "can't afford it." I make a good living and could "afford" a $100k car if I wanted, but I would also be in debt $100k is how I look at it.

The two biggest money makers in a dealership are the finance department and the service department. They bank on you using one or the other (hopefully both). Well, with 0% interest, guess which one they banked on? Thankfully, I am well oriented around a car, so they won't be getting service money either.

You underestimate me, good sir. I preach balance, which is why it will take so long, but in 5 years, and 4 months, not only will I have all my debt paid off, but I will also have about $100k in a savings account for a downpayment on a house. (this does not count the 10% of my income I put toward tithe and charity) As far as someone who shouldn't be giving advise, you may have jumped to that conclusion too quickly. Debt sucks, but life goes on. I'll be honest with you (and this forum), I have enough money in my account to pay off all my debts, but that wouldn't leave me an emergency fund, now would it? And how financially responsible would that make me if I couldn't take care of my family??? Also, it would also not allow me to fund investments that will yield me far more than 2.9% that I would be spending on the FRS. That's all part of "balance." If sh*t hits the fan, can I take care of my family for 8 months with NO INCOME at all? I still "need" a house for my family, and I'm still only willing to take out a 15 year mortgage.

How much do you know about YOUR finances? Specific dates? Plans? How much time have you spent this last month on your financial future? I spend A LOT of time on mine because it's a priority.

This is not a "look at me, I've got it all together response," this is a "I've busted my ass to take care of my family and it's future" response because it's incredibly important

Anything else? Because I've already had a message that said that you "just made a fool of yourself" referring to you, my friend. My decision is sound. My financial advice has not changed as you said it had, and once again, I will be getting more than my money's worth out of my financed car when it comes to both my civic and my outback during both their "ten years of service"

Edit: And I traded in a car I don't need (basically a two seater sports car) for one that I do need (4 door, tons of space), while paying less to the bank 0% interest (vs the 2.9% on the FRS) while guaranteeing that I won't outgrow my "investment." All the while it cost me an immediate grand out of pocket, (which we had) a happy wife, and a better more practical, more reliable car in the civic that gets me 30mpg combined (and is 100% paid off) that I can actually fit all my business supplies in! (Vs the 26 I was getting in the FRS on premium) Damn, I made a poor financial decision!! I'm spending less money in every area, providing for my family, and have all my bases set up for my future. Dang, what was I thinking???

Last edited by suaveflooder; 07-17-2014 at 03:27 AM.