follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #393
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
just be carefull with launch and flat foot shift, this is a rom patch, so the rom is actually different. Stock roms don't have it but some oft roms do, early oft roms may not have patch.

check out the romraider tips link below
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:10 AM   #394
Wil

Drives: Drives like a crab.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elBarto View Post
I see you are from Belgium. Are you a member of the facebook group GT86/BRZ Owners BeNeLux? Post your question there or PM me. I'll help you in Dutch

To answer your question, you need to update your definitions. Use Wayno's or Kodename47 defs, then you have all of those tables. The one's suplied with the OFT are very old.
Hi,
Yes I am.
But help in Dutch would kind of be no help at all, haha! I only speak French and English unfortunately.
Ok, I see, with more recent definitions I will be able to modify those tables.
I'm going to look after these tables. If I still have problem and will come back and bother you, haha.

Have a nice day,
RW
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #395
Wil

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
just be carefull with launch and flat foot shift, this is a rom patch, so the rom is actually different. Stock roms don't have it but some oft roms do, early oft roms may not have patch.

check out the romraider tips link below
Hi Steve,
Actually, I do not use these. I tried the LC and didn't quite like it.
That is not, to me, a true launch control feature and the rev limitation can be done manually.
But still, I don't think I do understand all that "patch" thing.
Is there any risk of any kind of me using your latest definitions with the ots bins provided by Openflash?

Have a nice day,
RW

EDIT: after further research, the issue seems to be a little bit more complicated.
I'm only allowed to use OFT definitions with the OFT roms. But, these definitions do not include the tables I need to modify in order to achieve a quieter cold start with a catless header. So, how do people achieve to have this quieter cold start using OFT and RomRaider?

EDIT2: Ok, I downloaded Kodename's definitions and it seems to work. Thanks!

EDIT3:

Took Kodename's definition of the A01G, the OFT .bin of version A01G as well and modified this.
Supposedly, it's right. I don't mind the higher RPM.

Last edited by Wil; 08-28-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #396
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Hi Steve,
Actually, I do not use these. I tried the LC and didn't quite like it.
That is not, to me, a true launch control feature and the rev limitation can be done manually.
But still, I don't think I do understand all that "patch" thing.
Is there any risk of any kind of me using your latest definitions with the ots bins provided by Openflash?

Have a nice day,
RW

EDIT: after further research, the issue seems to be a little bit more complicated.
I'm only allowed to use OFT definitions with the OFT roms. But, these definitions do not include the tables I need to modify in order to achieve a quieter cold start with a catless header. So, how do people achieve to have this quieter cold start using OFT and RomRaider?

EDIT2: Ok, I downloaded Kodename's definitions and it seems to work. Thanks!

EDIT3:

Took Kodename's definition of the A01G, the OFT .bin of version A01G as well and modified this.
Supposedly, it's right. I don't mind the higher RPM.

looks ok,

I usually make the max idle rpm 1200 in all idle tables as well.

Definitions are an index into the standard rom code
Each different rom id can have the tables in different positions (due to manufacturer re-compiling code) hence you need matching definitions.

ROM code patches like LC/FFS are additional code written by someone and patched into the standard rom code. the process to hook these patches into the rom code can alter the position of existing standard tables. and add new tables to control the extra features.

hence you need a matching def for code patched roms to access the additional tables

you need
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:27 AM   #397
Wil

Funny thing is, I cannot upload via Openflash Manager A01G roms (created with a01g definitions). I can only upload A00G version, so that's what I did.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #398
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Thanks! I have edited my Values to match Waynos, as well as the injection ratio tables as you suggested, as for the idle stock before the edit it was at 750 RPM so I put it back to that. Also why does waynos car have -6.99 vs the -0.04 post start ignition timing I was supposed to have before? Thanks again for checking these:
kinda late to the party BUT after getting noise complaint @ apartment, I finally took the time to read this WHOLE thread (skimmed a couple parts) toughest part was sorting where to add the code from the romraider def into the OFT def into correct spot to enable maf correction tables to show up. i flubbed that part a couple times getting the tables to show squares instead of numbers along tops/sides. so id trash that file, grab a fresh original from zip file to start all over, until i eventually got it right.

from comments on previous logs, it had been recommended to adjust the maf scaling a little to reduce the knock correction incidents. but that is for another day, im beat

not loaded onto car yet, need time on the calendar where i dont NEED the car in event it gets bricked. but im confident tables are reading correctly, no crazy values & numbers along the top & sides of all tables ive opened. lucky I have B01C which was largely being discussed on pages 13-16 this thread.

Thanks @steve99, @acj47, @Foobar, @troek!!

Last edited by bababooey; 10-14-2017 at 03:41 PM.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bababooey For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (12-22-2017), troek (12-11-2017)
Old 02-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #399
nickson555

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I finally did that mod so I can now buy a catback with my UEL catless header without getting killed by my neigbors. What a night and day difference. I was hesitant because of the very cold winter here but I set it to 1400 and kept the MAF correction after start a little higher than the rows bellow .

It was -15 celcius here this morning and it started and idled perfectly fine.

Last edited by nickson555; 02-26-2018 at 04:24 PM.
nickson555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #400
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

Drives: '13 FRS & '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
Omfg that's what I've been looking for for half an hour now!! (The maf correction crap). It's safe though right ? To use another definition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
did you have to purchase this?

I have A00C and cant find the parameters on my Defs... downloaded older versions but keeps giving errors on CELs while loading it up and the maps look way diff than the ones on here.
xxthrillxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #401
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

Drives: '13 FRS & '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Scratch my previous post. looks like v4 tunes already include the cold start disabled
xxthrillxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:15 PM   #402
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Sorry to necropost, so to disable annoying cold start noise, correcting ingition retard is enough, or is it better to edit MAF correction and idle, too?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #403
Robotaz

Drives: 2022 GR86 Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Sorry to necropost, so to disable annoying cold start noise, correcting ingition retard is enough, or is it better to edit MAF correction and idle, too?

I’m curious about your comment.

My car since new under certain ambient temps when I start in the morning has a kind of head knock until it gets down to 700 rpm idle and it stops and this different smooth idle sound starts. I’ve of course wondered if such noise is normal as it does not sound reassuring to say the least.

Is this what you’re talking about?
Robotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:38 AM   #404
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
I’m curious about your comment.

My car since new under certain ambient temps when I start in the morning has a kind of head knock until it gets down to 700 rpm idle and it stops and this different smooth idle sound starts. I’ve of course wondered if such noise is normal as it does not sound reassuring to say the least.

Is this what you’re talking about?
Why TF haven't you taken the car back to the dealership and asked them about it?
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:55 AM   #405
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,064 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
are you guys serious? it s 10 years now and still haven t a clue about wheater is cold start normal or not?
I get that you ve got a new car in 2022 but there are 10 years of informations in here to search
It s not a HEAD KNOCK sound, it's a cold start, so high rpm speed combine with negative ignition timings, and a stratified late fuel injection.. Fuel gets dumped into the exhaust and burns there to produce more heat
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 05:37 AM   #406
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
are you guys serious? it s 10 years now and still haven t a clue about wheater is cold start normal or not?
I get that you ve got a new car in 2022 but there are 10 years of informations in here to search
It s not a HEAD KNOCK sound, it's a cold start, so high rpm speed combine with negative ignition timings, and a stratified late fuel injection.. Fuel gets dumped into the exhaust and burns there to produce more heat
IDK I've never heard a car make "head knock" noises during cold start.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote