follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #15
robr

Drives: 2013 FRS, with boost by ATS Racing
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The tool works fine. It's just not completely idiot proof, as evidenced by some of the responses here, mine included.

EDIT: The tool is idiot proof. The process is apparently not.

Last edited by robr; 02-11-2015 at 01:03 PM.
robr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #16
Elkton86er

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB AT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have the same setup as @tobin and it works great.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #17
eguzman6

Drives: FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr View Post
The tool works fine. It's just not completely idiot proof, as evidenced by some of the responses here, mine included.

EDIT: The tool is idiot proof. The process is apparently not.

Is it worth buying the tool or jus keeping the annoying light on ?
eguzman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #18
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by eguzman6 View Post
Is it worth buying the tool or jus keeping the annoying light on ?
I just live with the dash light being on. Both sets of aftermarket wheels/tires I have don't have TPMS sensors in them. Just another dash light to have on, I often have the traction and/or stability control lights lit up on my dash too. On some other cars I've used pre-cut pieces of tint on the dash to minimize the annoyance of TPMS or other dash lights being lit up.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:00 PM   #19
eguzman6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniata View Post
I just live with the dash light being on. Both sets of aftermarket wheels/tires I have don't have TPMS sensors in them. Just another dash light to have on, I often have the traction and/or stability control lights lit up on my dash too. On some other cars I've used pre-cut pieces of tint on the dash to minimize the annoyance of TPMS or other dash lights being lit up.

Just to make sure those other lights are on by choice? I read somewhere that in some cars the stability/traction don't work with out tpms?
Old 02-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #20
robr

Drives: 2013 FRS, with boost by ATS Racing
"Worth it" is a decision you need to make yourself. I didn't buy the one at our shop, but I would have if we didn't have it. I can't stand dash lights being on. To the point I might look into making the traction control lights come on when those systems are on (which is never) instead of when I turn them off.

But if a dash light isn't a $150 problem to you, then no, it's not worth it. See if any locals have one you can borrow/use?
robr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #21
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
FYI, the tool/program can store 4 cars in it at once. So if you have a friend that also swaps wheels/tires, maybe you guys can split the cost of the tool?

I agree the $150 seems a little pricey up front, but if you plan on owning the car for a while, divide the 150 by the number of years you're going to keep the car, then figure you'll use it twice a year, etc. Say you keep the car for 10 years, you're talking $15 a year to not have an annoying yellow light on the dash.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #22
eguzman6

@tobin is it hard to use? I read throw some threads where people had problems doing it
Old 02-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #23
tobin

Quote:
@tobin is it hard to use? I read throw some threads where people had problems doing it
Not at all. Here is the user manual, read through it. It should give you a better idea of how it works. Very easy to use.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #24
eguzman6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
ATEQ Quickset

Are you tired of shelling out big bucks to the dealer every time you swap wheels or rotate tires? Need to replace a sensor or two? The ATEQ Quickset TPMS reset tool is the perfect tool for those of us that swap wheels regularly or have a set of summer and winter wheels! Don't spend another dime (or hour) at the dealer! Reset (relearn) your TPMS yourself at home!

The QuickSet downloads the IDs that are stored in your vehicle's ECU. The PC based software allows you to enter the IDs from your alternate set of tires into the QuickSet. You must have your alternate set of IDs available (from a TPMS decoder tool such as the ATEQ VT30, provided by a garage, an invoice or on the sensor itself). Once the QuickSet is updated with the alternate set of IDs, you are able to upload these to your vehicle's ECU through the OBDII port.

I have this and it works great. I have my OEM wheels and tires for summer, and another set of FR-S wheels and Blizzaks for winter. This lets me tell the car what wheels are on it, and the TPMS light stays off.
So if I understand correct there are 4 different serial numbers? Is there a way to get them w/o taking the tires off (stock wheels)? And I have a used set of oem frs tpms where do I find the serial number? They are still in the wheels will take them out eventually haha
Old 02-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #25
einrejosh

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just go to americas tire or discount tire where ever you live. I work at one of the shops in California, just take your new set of oem wheel with new sensors (make sure they're on your car) and they'll do the process (tpms relearn protocol) which takes like 5 minutes
einrejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #26
tobin

Quote:
So if I understand correct there are 4 different serial numbers? Is there a way to get them w/o taking the tires off (stock wheels)? And I have a used set of oem frs tpms where do I find the serial number? They are still in the wheels will take them out eventually haha
Correct, there are four different numbers; one per wheel (there is no sensor in the spare, so it will read 000000). To get the codes from the stock wheels, you just need to plug in the ATEQ to your OBD port and it will read the codes that are stored in the ECU from the factory. The sensor codes for your second pair of sensors should be printed on the sensors themselves. They can also be read at a tire shop without removing the tires with a different tool.
The Following User Says Thank You to tobin For This Useful Post:
eguzman6 (02-13-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #27
Bluetail

Drives: BRZ
TPMS

I can take care of this for you P.M me The atqe is the hard way to do it .

Thanks
Bluetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #28
zkv476

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I saw something a little while back about clone-able TPMS sensors that you can basically program to report the same serial numbers as the original sensors. That way when you swap wheels the car doesn't know you're using a set of 4 different sensors. Certain tire shops may be capable of doing it, you could probably ask around your local tire shops and see who's heard of it.