follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #99
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Raged View Post
It's easy for people to make blanket statements about the ND's body roll until they see it wipe the floor with all other stock Twins (and some modified ones as well).
Body roll is not the end of the world as long as it works with you and enhances your experience which is what the goal was with the Miatas. And the way the ND grips and puts the power down is better than my BRZ IMO.

Cole by any chance are you referring to the PITL AutoX series?
It was my buddy in a stock ND2 on RE71R's that won the class championship among other stock MX'5s and Twins.
The Miata's "body roll" can easily "fixed" with a $100 stiffer front anti-sway bar. Back in the NC days, a bar off a RX8 worked just fine.

Plus the Miata's suspension is just set up that way, if it bothered me, I would just tilt my head -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #100
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
............I’m not an asshole IRL, despite what my rep is on here

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #101
N_Raged

Drives: 2019 BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I am referring to the same guy

Say hi next year, I’m in the white FRS with the SARD wing, usually #97. I’m not an asshole IRL, despite what my rep is on here
I'm #93 red BRZ.
N_Raged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N_Raged For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-16-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #102
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Thought I would put a note in here since I rented an ND on Turo.

The car is hands down better to drive than the FR-S/86/BRZ, by a long shot. The controls are extremely intuitive (I'm looking at you, BRZ clutch), the car responds well, and the build quality is shockingly good. Wind noise is actually not that bad for a rag-top. Gearbox is wonderful and the 2019+ engine update would I imagine put acceleration in a pretty good spot. Ride comfort is a little worse, but it's not bad. To my surprise, I even liked the engine noises. Okay, the infotainment screen is totally useless, but it's easy enough to pretend it's not there and enjoy the rest of the cabin which is fantastic. I really like the short first 3 gears, it makes taking off from 0 less of a chore.

Before driving it I thought the price tag was too steep, but stepping in one, I think it's totally worth it. The whole experience is just so well thought-out and designed.

Unfortunately, I kind of don't fit. With stock seats I can easily touch the roof with my head, and my knees barely clear the steering wheel. Ideally I would want a more reclined position but that would make my knees hit the wheel. It might work if I had an uncushioned seat bolted to the floor, but I don't really like the sound of that.

Last edited by serialk11r; 11-30-2019 at 01:51 PM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #103
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post

Unfortunately, I kind of don't fit. With stock seats I can easily touch the roof with my head, and my knees barely clear the steering wheel. Ideally I would want a more reclined position but that would make my knees hit the wheel. It might work if I had an uncushioned seat bolted to the floor, but I don't really like the sound of that.
This is the reason I dont own one anymore

its too small to live with. If it where an only track car thats one thing. But for me to enjoy on the usual...

Its the same reason i dont have an S2000

the new 86 chassis is the biggest small car i can fit into. and they designed it that way. even the supra is smaller interior space
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #104
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
its too small to live with. If it where an only track car thats one thing. But for me to enjoy on the usual...

Its the same reason i dont have an S2000
Wait, the S2000 is a tiny bit bigger though right? I think an inch more headroom would make it a lot better. I'm planning on buying one.

My MR2 Spyders were actually very roomy on the inside by comparison. A little less roomy than a Porsche but I had ample space to sit comfortably while keeping the seat cushion. A Miata with an uncushioned bucket seat would feel more claustrophobic.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:33 PM   #105
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Wait, the S2000 is a tiny bit bigger though right? I think an inch more headroom would make it a lot better. I'm planning on buying one.

My MR2 Spyders were actually very roomy on the inside by comparison. A little less roomy than a Porsche but I had ample space to sit comfortably while keeping the seat cushion. A Miata with an uncushioned bucket seat would feel more claustrophobic.
im a .... corn fed type of guy hhahaha

6 foot 4 240 lbs of cast philadelphia iron
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #106
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The best thing about my Miata is how cute my wife loved driving it. I just couldn’t connect with it
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #107
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My legs are too long for the Miata and S2000. The 86 is really the only platform that fits me and checks off the boxes for 6MT, rear drive, lightweight, "room for a car seat", aftermarket parts galore...
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #108
Renault Discordia
Giant Robots and Stuff

Drives: Oceanic 2019 86 GT (6AT)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
You know, it's funny, I had a similar thought myself when I was shopping for a first car. I actually never even got behind the wheel of a Miata, though I had heard good things about them and quite liked the way that they looked. Only concern was conflicting reports of people that were "long in the legs, 6'3" and over" having issues fitting in the thing. In the end, when it came down to the wire to choose between an ND and this car, I snapped on the 86 just because I wanted to wear that lineage, and I liked the feel of it. As soon as I got in the car, I was hooked. I just feel connected to it, which I assume is normal.

I personally don't regret my decision, but I might consider a Miata myself again someday. For now, the twins seem to sate my "keep the back seat for esoteric reasons, enough space for me and my stuff, and fun to throw into corners" wishes.

...they both look like angry cats and I actually really like that.
Renault Discordia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #109
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renault Discordia View Post
You know, it's funny, I had a similar thought myself when I was shopping for a first car. I actually never even got behind the wheel of a Miata, though I had heard good things about them and quite liked the way that they looked. Only concern was conflicting reports of people that were "long in the legs, 6'3" and over" having issues fitting in the thing. In the end, when it came down to the wire to choose between an ND and this car, I snapped on the 86 just because I wanted to wear that lineage, and I liked the feel of it. As soon as I got in the car, I was hooked. I just feel connected to it, which I assume is normal.

I personally don't regret my decision, but I might consider a Miata myself again someday. For now, the twins seem to sate my "keep the back seat for esoteric reasons, enough space for me and my stuff, and fun to throw into corners" wishes.

...they both look like angry cats and I actually really like that.

b-b-b-baka!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
ElijahF (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #110
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Just to mix it up, look at the Fiat 124. I like the body better than the Miata. It is not as common. The only thing is a Fiat dealer--fix it again Tony.
Drives like a Miata because under her dress it is.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-11-2019), ROFL it's Waffle (12-16-2019)