follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #127
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82mm 4g63 View Post
Basically, yeah. You have Compact or Mid-size trucks, full-size trucks, and heavy duty trucks. I've always mentally classified trucks in three different size categories, I guess because some trucks just seem small. But after looking at their real world dimensions there's really just two different sized trucks. Trucks @ or shorter than 190-inches, and trucks @ or longer than 200-inches (regular bed/regular cab configurations).

Scion needs to revive the coolness that was the 85 Toyota Xtracab pickup with a turbocharged 4cylinder.

How cool is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaObsession View Post
Cosign.

Cept use a better Turbo. That 22RET was a cool motor though. Had some nice features. Something like that with a Solid Front Axle would fly off the shelves. BUT would it pass Safety tests?
you guys are nuts. like i said, besides for work, who would you market this thing to? nascar truck series fans? cmon...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:38 AM   #128
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
you guys are nuts. like i said, besides for work, who would you market this thing to? nascar truck series fans? cmon...
Have you ever owned a truck?

If you have, should know how instantly popular you become with all your acquaintances that need stuff moved, or picked up, etc... when you have one.

If you haven't, your opinion doesn't carry too much weight.

For the record I've owned a Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD. Epic utility vehicle.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #129
madfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Have you ever owned a truck?

If you have, should know how instantly popular you become with all your acquaintances that need stuff moved, or picked up, etc... when you have one.

If you haven't, your opinion doesn't carry too much weight.

For the record I've owned a Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD. Epic utility vehicle.
again, that's work. im not arguing the worthiness of a pickup bed for moving/carrying shit. im arguing that there is NO place in the market for a scion pickup. scion is a youth oriented, trendy brand. since when was moving your friends couch trendy?

pickups were made to carry shit. if you daily drive a pickup with nothing in the back, waiting for your friend to move so you can save the day with your utility vehicle... im sorry. you do NOT represent the average person. the average person buys a chevy cruze to take their wife, kids, and dog to buy groceries and clothes at the mall....

stylish scion 2dr awd crossover > scion compact pickup...

oh and for the record i've never owned a truck. if you think that somehow invalidates the logic of my argument then so be it...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 AM   #130
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
again, that's work. im not arguing the worthiness of a pickup bed for moving/carrying shit. im arguing that there is NO place in the market for a scion pickup. scion is a youth oriented, trendy brand. since when was moving your friends couch trendy?

pickups were made to carry shit. if you daily drive a pickup with nothing in the back, waiting for your friend to move so you can save the day with your utility vehicle... im sorry. you do NOT represent the average person. the average person buys a chevy cruze to take their wife, kids, and dog to buy groceries and clothes at the mall....

oh and for the record i've never owned a truck. if you think that somehow invalidates the logic of my argument then so be it...
F-series truck was the best-selling vehicle in North America for a reason.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #131
ToyotaObsession

Drives: 2008 XRunner
Quote:
you are obviously in the minority. the regular joe wouldnt buy a pickup truck to haul kids and groceries around...

how is a suv/crossover better? well for one theres a cargo area instead of a bed. i dunno how many people want to put their stuff in a dirty ass pickup bed with dirt, dust, leaves and bird poo all over it... and do we need to talk about refinement...?

no it wouldnt be too expensive. the RAV4 awd starts at 24k. a smaller scion suv could easily match that pretty well equipped. make it stylish, like all scions, and there you go...
for reference: the Mitsu Outlander sport AWD starts at 23k, and nissan juke awd starts at 21k. the juke, if its styling wasnt so polarizing, would be a great little crossover... something i think scion should do seeing as most of their designs are hatches. lift them up a bit and add awd. done deal.
I don't know about you, but my Truck gets garaged, and even when it's parked outside it's not like everything flies over just to crap in it. The limitations of an SUV are it's height too. You get a Big Screen TV that won't fit in the back of an SUV what are you gonna do? Get a truck.

Seriously what are you hauling that has to be covered at all times? What about dirty stuff you don't want leaving grease/dirt/oil all over your carpet?

How many Rav4's have you seen actually listed at that price new? Most start at $30K+. Adding 4WD usually tacks on $4-$5K.

That's kinda what I was saying. They already have an almost SUV like body. But like I said, extra cost. Will people be willing to pay it?

Quote:
There is a market for a small, real pickup with a bed. In Vancouver you may be aware of all the JDM imports here, right? Mostly we pay attention to the Skylines, Aristos, Chasers and such, but a TON of people are importing things like the Subaru Sambar, Honda Acty and similar micro-pickups. They are like little kei-class vans with a pickup or flatdeck bed.

I think that a Toyota truck (normal one, not like the weirdos above^) sized like the old one from the 80's or even a touch smaller, would sell very well, as either a Toyota or Scion. Scion could try to go for a mini-truck revival, whereas as a Toyota it would appeal to budget minded small business owners. Oh, and throw in a 1.6L-2.0L turbo diesel in it.
How interesting. But they are strictly utilitarian. Whereas the Scion would be more sporty and fun.

I don't know if there's a market for that. You also have to account for someone looking at a truck that size might say why would I spend $20K when I can spend $5K and get almost the same thing. Plus styling. How do you make it look good and not drive up the cost while at the same time not make it look old.

The Diesel would be awesome! It's an interesting idea for sure.

Quote:
People who want a masculine truck?

Quote:

Dude, my XRunner (well not mine per say LOL) is in Drift competitions, autocrossing events, drag racing. It pulls .97 on the skid pad stock it's designed to handle. It's not meant to haul and tow.

It's entirely possible to have a very sporty Truck that you can haul a couch with if you want and get the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Yep, look at all the F-350 Pavement queens that are jacked to Jesus. Can't tow, bed is too high to put anything in, they are just for LOOK AT ME factors.
“From the beginning, the concept was to put the driver back in the driver’s seat, and to eliminate computers as much as possible today. Powerful sports cars use a lot of computer technology so that anyone can drive and handle them. We decided not to go down that road.” - Tetsuya Tada
ToyotaObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #132
madfast

Quote:
yes i know. but give me a sales breakdown of how many of those were sold for work and how many for daily driving, and then we'll talk.

talking about pickup sales is like talking about cars with fleet sales. you dont get the full picture.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #133
On the Rise

Drives: Toyota
Quote:

If you've never owned a pickup, why are you arguing? You clearly don't have a clue. Stick to what you know.
1660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #134
madfast

Quote:
Seriously what are you hauling that has to be covered at all times? What about dirty stuff you don't want leaving grease/dirt/oil all over your carpet? .
listen to yourself. how many average people have to "haul" stuff?? normal people buy a couple bags of groceries, etc.

dirty stuff? i'd call anything dirty enough that you dont want in your cabin WORK related. or at best recreational items like dirtbikes/atvs... what normal stuff is dirty enough to be separated from the cabin?

Quote:
How many Rav4's have you seen actually listed at that price new? Most start at $30K+. Adding 4WD usually tacks on $4-$5K.

That's kinda what I was saying. They already have an almost SUV like body. But like I said, extra cost. Will people be willing to pay it?.
well my assertion is that yes, people WOULD buy it. the outlander sport and juke are both starting under 24k. the juke, well under. add options etc and you still wont surpass 25k or whatever.

Quote:
How interesting. But they are strictly utilitarian. Whereas the Scion would be more sporty and fun.

People who want a masculine truck? .
educate me. how big is the market for a sporty truck? from what little i know, it doesnt seem all too big.

what im trying to separate is the work pickup, from the recreational/dd pickup. if you dd your work truck, in my book that doesnt count. if you do occasional work with your dd truck then ok that counts.

Quote:
Dude, my XRunner (well not mine per say LOL) is in Drift competitions, autocrossing events, drag racing. It pulls .97 on the skid pad stock it's designed to handle. It's not meant to haul and tow.

It's entirely possible to have a very sporty Truck that you can haul a couch with if you want and get the best of both worlds. .
sure. just how many people are out there like you? truck drifting? cmon man, you cant seriously believe that you'd be in the majority here...
Old 07-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #135
madfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1660 View Post
If you've never owned a pickup, why are you arguing? You clearly don't have a clue. Stick to what you know.
what i KNOW is that scion would be foolish to sell a pickup instead of a suv/crossover.

if i am wrong then somebody should easily be able to put up real numbers showing me that the market is ready for a recreational, non-work related compact pickup. but until then...
Old 07-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #136
madfast

whaddaya know...

The main culprits behind the drop in the popularity, besides high gas prices, include high unemployment and a dormant housing industry — those figures typically run parallel to the rise and fall of demand for pickups, Wards says.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05...-year-low.html

sure dont sounds likes people be buying sports pickups much eh?
Old 07-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #137
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
Still winning though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exage View Post
Feh! It was only a matter of time before the new WRX release rumors started. 270PS from a 1.6L ain't bad, and is far more than I expect(ed). I say good luck to Subaru and good riddance to the AWD fanboys.

Still saving/waiting for FT86 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #138
ToyotaObsession

Drives: 2008 XRunner
Quote:
yes i know. but give me a sales breakdown of how many of those were sold for work and how many for daily driving, and then we'll talk.

talking about pickup sales is like talking about cars with fleet sales. you dont get the full picture.
I'm sure a good portion are for work. I can tell you looking at the parking lot here at Boeing. A ton are simply for daily driving. You get into places like Texas where having a truck is almost a requirement.

Quote:
listen to yourself. how many average people have to "haul" stuff?? normal people buy a couple bags of groceries, etc.

dirty stuff? i'd call anything dirty enough that you dont want in your cabin WORK related. or at best recreational items like dirtbikes/atvs... what normal stuff is dirty enough to be separated from the cabin?

well my assertion is that yes, people WOULD buy it. the outlander sport and juke are both starting under 24k. the juke, well under. add options etc and you still wont surpass 25k or whatever.

educate me. how big is the market for a sporty truck? from what little i know, it doesnt seem all too big.

what im trying to separate is the work pickup, from the recreational/dd pickup. if you dd your work truck, in my book that doesnt count. if you do occasional work with your dd truck then ok that counts.

sure. just how many people are out there like you? truck drifting? cmon man, you cant seriously believe that you'd be in the majority here...
ROFL! Dude I'm sorry but you are an idiot.

How many normal people need to haul stuff? I dunno maybe everyone who owns a home? Lawnmower, trimmer, yard waste, car parts, engines, windows, doors, etc. I mean the list goes on and on for all the things normal people might need to haul. They are all dirty things that aren't related to work. I know I wouldn't put my Lawnmower in my SUV. Unless it was my wheeler.

Don't forget Towing. A lot of SUV's can't tow 45 foot trailers and boats.

Your assertion is just some random guy who knows very little. So pitch your idea to Scion and see how quickly they hang up.

The market for a Sporty Truck is about the same for a Sporty SUV. The market is exceedingly small. But it does exist.

Majority? No. I never said Majority. I simply stated a fact, there's a market for them. Hence the XRunner. I don't believe there's any Sporty SUV's on the market right now.

Quote:
what i believe is that scion would be foolish to sell a pickup instead of a suv/crossover.

if i am wrong then somebody should easily be able to put up real numbers showing me that the market is ready for a recreational, non-work related compact pickup. but until then...
Fixed it for you.

Put up some number for people who want a Sporty SUV. Everything on the market is for moving people and little else.

Quote:
whaddaya know...

The main culprits behind the drop in the popularity, besides high gas prices, include high unemployment and a dormant housing industry — those figures typically run parallel to the rise and fall of demand for pickups, Wards says.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05...-year-low.html

sure dont sounds likes people be buying sports pickups much eh?
And dear god! Car and SUV sales are down too! YOU MEAN IT'S ALL RELATED? Dude you're grabbing at straws here. With no idea what you're talking about.

A Scion Truck would sell just as well as Scion SUV. Because people who would buy it are pretty much the same market.

Now what I wouldn't mind seeing is a resurrection of the Cy/Ty's that would be sick. But I don't see that happening either.
“From the beginning, the concept was to put the driver back in the driver’s seat, and to eliminate computers as much as possible today. Powerful sports cars use a lot of computer technology so that anyone can drive and handle them. We decided not to go down that road.” - Tetsuya Tada
ToyotaObsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #139
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Still winning though!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #140
madfast

Quote:
How many normal people need to haul stuff? I dunno maybe everyone who owns a home? Lawnmower, trimmer, yard waste, car parts, engines, windows, doors, etc. I mean the list goes on and on for all the things normal people might need to haul. They are all dirty things that aren't related to work. I know I wouldn't put my Lawnmower in my SUV. Unless it was my wheeler.

Don't forget Towing. A lot of SUV's can't tow 45 foot trailers and boats..
and where are you taking all these things? how often? and how is that not work? and towing, that's not work? the average person tows stuff to go to work? to go shopping?

its no use talking about it anymore. im talking about buying a vehicle for everyday use. going to work, school, shopping, restaurant, mall, etc.. you're listing the 10,000 things you can do with a pickup... obviously if you do those kinda things often enough you're gonna get a pickup. but i dunno how many americans actually do...

Quote:
The market for a Sporty Truck is about the same for a Sporty SUV. The market is exceedingly small. But it does exist.

Put up some number for people who want a Sporty SUV. Everything on the market is for moving people and little else. .
i never said anything about a SPORTY suv/crossover. just a regular one with enough power to not totally suck. you talked about sporty pickups.