follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #29
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks View Post
FYI:

Thanks for your enquiry very much. This is Will from Innotrends support team.

The warranty is 6 months.

Regarding the BlueTooth OBD2 adapter, currently, the CA-FI Dashlinq4 unit only supports the model that we supplied.

For any other query, please feel free to contact us.
I don't see any reason why another adapter wouldn't work. I think the key word there is "supports," as in, maybe they just can't guarantee any other one will work. Thoughts? Either way, not a dealbreaker for me. My OBD2 adapter is unplugged 99% of the time anyway.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #30
Narcoden

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
What color do the buttons light up as?

Sent from my Nexus 7
Narcoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #31
SHIFTER

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoden View Post
What color do the buttons light up as?

Sent from my Nexus 7
White
SHIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #32
SHIFTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
Still kinda worried about a battery in the heat. Those things can explode, and if the car is off, a fan won't kick on.

Anyway, what about that seek knob? Can you scroll through music with it? And do the physical next/previous buttons fast forward/rewind if you hold them down.

Edit: I emailed Ca-Fi about the battery, and apparently I misunderstood.

"There is no battery inside the Dashlinq4 units. The fast boot gets the power from the car, when the ACC is cut, the power+ is still on, and there will be about 5MA current for the CPU. User can set the fast boot time long as 2 days via the system.

The operating temp. -20 degree c ~70 degree c"

Sweet!
Cool! I guess I was wrong about the fastboot option. Eitherway, it works flawlessly!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #33
SHIFTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by encity5 View Post
thanks for the write up and share!

i havent watched through all your walkthrough videos yet so forgive me if this is addressed, but how is the GPS? what maps are they running?
GPS is whatever you want to run - its an android device. Google Maps, Tom Tom, Waze, Sygic... whatever. They all work.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #34
SHIFTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
The "sticky" point for me with this Ca-Fi HU is the $533 pricetag.

A Nexus7 (2013 model) tablet with a FAR SUPERIOR (quad-core 1.5GHz, vs the single-core 1GHz of the Ca-Fi) processor and thereby inherently an also FAR SUPERIOR GPU (Adreno 320, vs. whatever's in the Ca-Fi), 2x more RAM, 8x more ROM, 1900x1200 screen (vs. 1024x600 Ca-Fi) can be had for $230 (or less).

Don't get me wrong, I get it...It's not about just the hardware specs. The Ca-Fi offers an entire "package" that seems to be pretty much plug-n-play, and I have watched some of the videos and it does seem responsive. Still, to me, $533 for something with hardware specs that read like a cheapo, no-name, fly-by-night Chinese brand tablet, just isn't right.

With the listed hardware specs, if this thing were more in the $350 (or less) range, I'd probably be having a case of itchy trigger finger...But not at $533.

Buying on specs alone is kind of, well - not the point. The real elephant in the room is what works BETTER in the car. I won't tell you putting a nexus 7 in the car is stupid - they're great devices. BUT. there are two different goals being discussed here.

With the ca-fi device, you're looking at a well rounded CAR STEREO. AKA a device that implements an amplifier, radio antenna AND an android tablet all in one unit with a consistent interface that will plug and play in a car with less than 20 minutes of work - bolted in and running.

Installing a N7 tablet requires an external source for radio if you want it, amplification for the speakers - and overall audio control. Also, you must MODIFY the interior to mount it at unknown amounts of time.

There are pluses and negatives to each. the Ca-Fi device is a fantastic device for a car stereo with the super powers of Android. A Nexus 7 is a great tablet with none of the benefits of a car stereo.

Like I said - each to their own. But comparing on price and specs alone completely misses the point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHIFTER For This Useful Post:
MaximaZero (06-01-2014), WRXGuy1 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #35
bgibbsunc

Drives: Firestorm Scion FR-S
Dude are you sponsored by them. I cant find any info on this unit besides your reviews on every forum. They even used your video on their own website. Do you have the only one out there? Can't help but think you may be a little biased.

FA20 club 60 trim + flex fuel
467 whp 356 ft lbs @ 19 lbs
Owner of Sidewinders Auto LLC.
San Antonio TX
bgibbsunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #36
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTER View Post
Buying on specs alone is kind of, well - not the point. The real elephant in the room is what works BETTER in the car. I won't tell you putting a nexus 7 in the car is stupid - they're great devices. BUT. there are two different goals being discussed here.

With the ca-fi device, you're looking at a well rounded CAR STEREO. AKA a device that implements an amplifier, radio antenna AND an android tablet all in one unit with a consistent interface that will plug and play in a car with less than 20 minutes of work - bolted in and running.

Installing a N7 tablet requires an external source for radio if you want it, amplification for the speakers - and overall audio control. Also, you must MODIFY the interior to mount it at unknown amounts of time.

There are pluses and negatives to each. the Ca-Fi device is a fantastic device for a car stereo with the super powers of Android. A Nexus 7 is a great tablet with none of the benefits of a car stereo.

Like I said - each to their own. But comparing on price and specs alone completely misses the point.
The price strikes me when comparing to appradio. I know they are two different things. Probably the closest would be parrot head unit which I believe runs gingerbread. I think the nexus installs tend to get pricey with proper mounts and amps/wiring too. I will try to check this out in person at local meet.
Can't recall if this was covered but does this handle incoming calls over Bluetooth as well as stock head unit?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #37
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTER View Post

You quoted my post, but it seems you didn't actually read it. Particularly the part where I said I get it, that the Ca-Fi is a "package" and not just a tablet to be compared directly with the N7.

My perspective, to put it another way is that 'the whole doesn't equal the sum of the parts' here. The 'whole' being the $533 pricetag and the 'parts' being the Ca-Fi package of tablet/amp/tuner/etc...

My main point of contention is the fact of how inexpensive a powerhouse like the N7 is (and that's even at full retail cost, not even considering how much less expensive it would be for similar specs direct to a manufacturer like Ca-Fi would be) as compared to the specs of the component part of the Ca-Fi "package" that is the tablet.

So, to reiterate and in my opinion and my perception of fair market value...$533 seems high for the overall package, when taking into consideration that one of the main components (the tablet) has sub-par specs.

...To be fair, I don't know what all costs are involved for Ca-Fi to put such a package together, what with all the components involved (amp, tuner, tablet, etc...) and licensing and such and I don't even know of any competing product to compare costs to. I'm going by my 'gut' feelings and my own threshold of what I'm willing to pay for such an item.

It is definitely to each his own.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #38
Prog

Asked them some more questions, got some more answers:

Quote:
-Does the unit have RCA plugs for subwoofer out in the back?

---YES. Please refer to the attachment.

-Do the physical Next/Previous buttons on the right side of the unit also do fast forward/rewind if you hold them down?

---Currently, no.

-Does the Disp/Seek knob only work for tuning the radio, or can it also scroll through songs on, say, an iPhone or a USB thumb drive?

---Built-in music player, yes.

Thanks for your questions. We will improve the unit step by step.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #39
DC2R

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Shouldn't subwoofer be two RCA?

DC2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #40
ducks

Drives: car
Quote:
I don't see any reason why another adapter wouldn't work. I think the key word there is "supports," as in, maybe they just can't guarantee any other one will work. Thoughts? Either way, not a dealbreaker for me. My OBD2 adapter is unplugged 99% of the time anyway.
I hope to be proven wrong as I really like the idea of this unit.

Conspiracy theory from someone who is NOT an android expert: Since they sell their own adapter, have a specific OBD Bluetooth device pairing option, and had Torque pre-installed, maybe they restrict pairing by MAC address and/or only give Torque access to the OBD Bluetooth device.
ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #41
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2R View Post
Shouldn't subwoofer be two RCA?

I think you're right, but I'm not really an audio person, so I don't know what this means. Anyone know? Would you have to buy an adapter?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #42
Dooley
Banned

Drives: Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I think you're right, but I'm not really an audio person, so I don't know what this means. Anyone know? Would you have to buy an adapter?
You can have a single out RCA on a sub. You can also choose to split a L/R because it is already done internally.

Essentially, there is 2 RCA inside the single out. Everything is the exact same, just less external wiring.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dooley For This Useful Post:
Prog (04-09-2014)