follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
flyboy
New here!

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
P0016 repair cost for out of warranty FRS?

Hello all,

Been a while since I have been here. I have a manual 2013 10 series FRS. Has about 29k miles on it. The car is completely stock with no mods of any kind.

The car has been driving just fine and today got a check engine light and a traction off light. The cruise control doesn't work in this situation either.

I was wondering about the repair costs to get this fixed at a dealer? I don't have the luxury of time or tools and expertise to fix something like this. It happened while heading to airport. So the car is just back at home sitting on the driveway. Will be a while before I can take it to the shop. Away for a few weeks. So thought I'd do some research.

From what I read seems like the timing chain needs to be looked at and the ECU replaced? How much do you guys think the dealer would charge for it? The VIN doesn't has any recall or TSB and being a 2013 it is out of months Should I ask corporate if they can help?

Anyone have an idea of the cost to get it fixed at the dealer?

If it is found that the car is mechanically fine, can I just go ahead and disable the code? If so how do I do it?

Any other advise would be helpful. The previous night I pulled a high RPM 2nd to 3rd gear with 6000rpm and something smelled funny. Thought might be the clutch. Could the wire on the bank sensor be burnt leading to the error code?

Thank you everyone.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, it could be a lot of things. What I would suggest is that you make the code go away and see if it comes back. This can be done with either a code reader from an automotive supply house or simply disconnect the negative side of the battery for a minute.

If the code doesn't come back, maybe the engine just hiccuped. If the code comes back, I suggest you leave the code in place and take the car into a dealer.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
flyboy (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
flyboy
New here!

Thanks for the insight humfrz. I do have an OBDII reader, I'll try it when I get back home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #4
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
Thanks for the insight humfrz. I do have an OBDII reader, I'll try it when I get back home.

PS - you don't really have to make the same post in two different threads.

All that does is to confuse the old men on this forum -

humfrz
Old 04-21-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
flyboy
New here!

My bad. Wasn't sure about that. I'll delete the post there.

The Following User Says Thank You to flyboy For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 01:35 AM   #6
flyboy
New here!

Would you guys suggest selling the car and buying a new car like a WRX or stick to it repair it and keep running it? I'd be happy if I can get 10k for it I guess (28k miles and it is in a good condition).

Do dealers usually provide a warranty on their work? Just wondering about the options.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:49 AM   #7
humfrz

Quote:
Would you guys suggest selling the car and buying a new car like a WRX or stick to it repair it and keep running it? I'd be happy if I can get 10k for it I guess (28k miles and it is in a good condition).

Do dealers usually provide a warranty on their work? Just wondering about the options.

DANG, flyboy, don't panic -

A P0016 code usually isn't life threating to the engine. It could be a loose or frayed wire or an easily replaced part.

Yes, most dealers warrant their work and parts.

I'd suggest you have a dealer look at it to determine why that code popped up and get an estimate for repair.

humfrz
Old 05-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #8
flyboy
New here!

So took it to the dealer. They said it was the non-oem oil filter. They replaced it, did an oil change and as other posts says, two minutes into the drive the code was back on.

They did a valve solenoid test and it was all good.

I did share info about the TSB that exists on the Subaru.

Will be taking it in. Seems like the Toyota service center is clueless about the problem. Would it be better to take it to the Subaru guys? Is they any other place someone could recommend, especially in Tampa bay area?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2019, 12:27 AM   #9
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
So took it to the dealer. They said it was the non-oem oil filter. They replaced it, did an oil change and as other posts says, two minutes into the drive the code was back on.

They did a valve solenoid test and it was all good.

I did share info about the TSB that exists on the Subaru.

Will be taking it in. Seems like the Toyota service center is clueless about the problem. Would it be better to take it to the Subaru guys? Is they any other place someone could recommend, especially in Tampa bay area?

Thanks
I had P0018 but I was quoted something like $6000 to fix it. You will need to drop the engine, and it's highly recommend to replace all four cams and sprockets. You don't want to only replace one. My $6000 quote is just to replace one if I can recall. It is a lot of work as the valve cover needs to come off.

Luckily I was barely out of warranty, so they were willing to comp the parts, and I was still out 1300 some odd dollars for labor. But I only fixed one cam and sprocket only.

I wasn't willing to invest like 6K into a car that was worth only 9K. Luckily they screwed up the quote and didn't count on the ECM needed replacement. Since they couldn't flash the code out of it, you'll most likely need a new ECM, I'm 99% sure about it. I couldn't clear the P0018 code and when I pulled the battery and put it back on, it came back almost immediately. It's soft coded. If they included the ECM into the original quote, I'm thinking it's maybe in the 7K range. ECMs is about 500 bucks, plus the coding work and labor to install.... would most likely be close to 1k.

So I only fixed one CAM and Sprocket for 1300something and I sold the car and bought a BMW M4.

If you really love the car, then be prepared to pay 5-6k. Even my independent mechanic was telling me 5k or so. It's about a week process. DO NOT JUST REPLACE ONE CAM AND SPROCKET! Issue can happen on the other cams and sprockets! So Replace ALL 4 If you are going to go this route. The P0016/18 or whatever indicates the position.

However, I would highly recommend just dumping the car and get into something new. Funny...I had a 10 Series just like you
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:39 AM   #10
flyboy
New here!

Thanks for the information. Yeah mine is barely out of warranty too, plus only has 29k miles on it. I am thinking to either repair it and sell to get a new car or just drive it till it dies!!

My issue is that the service station seems like they have no idea what to do..!! Guess will tey to call toyota corporate and seek their help!

Wonder what would i get for the car as in state!!

Yeah 10 series is good. Sucks that something like this ruins the experience!

I love my car but not 6k worth of repair love!!

Old 05-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #11
N1rve

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Yeah mine is barely out of warranty too, plus only has 29k miles on it. I am thinking to either repair it and sell to get a new car or just drive it till it dies!!

My issue is that the service station seems like they have no idea what to do..!! Guess will tey to call toyota corporate and seek their help!

Wonder what would i get for the car as in state!!

Yeah 10 series is good. Sucks that something like this ruins the experience!

I love my car but not 6k worth of repair love!!

This is a blessing in disguise, it's time to get yourself into something different

Since your dealer doesn't seem to be familiar, it sounds like if they touch it, it'll get worse. You might end up in the group with the failed motors because Toyota doesn't usually support FA20s.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:11 AM   #12
flyboy
New here!

Yes, there is. But it is useless because toyota doesn't have it. Only on the subaru side.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #13
flyboy
New here!

Got a quote for 2431 from the ToyoService for cam replacement!!

Got in touch with the HQ, let's see what they say

Thanks everyone for the help and information. The forum has been great.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #14
N1rve

Quote:
Got a quote for 2431 from the ToyoService for cam replacement!!

Got in touch with the HQ, let's see what they say

Thanks everyone for the help and information. The forum has been great.

If you are able to get them to guarantee the repair (meaning that the CEL will go away with this repair), I would do it. They aren't quoting you for the sprocket or ECU change.