follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #15
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
You wouldn't pass the annual safety inspection in my state. You can't disable safety systems and pass so I always have to get the car inspected when I have the 3 season wheels on because I don't have TPMS sensors on my winter wheels.
indiana only does emissions testing, and because the car is a 2005+, they only check the gas cap and scan the car to make sure it clears itself.
i'm somewhat happy with it, as my '02 ranger wouldn't pass yearly inspection with some of the rust it's currently got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
This makes no sense.
i can explain it any way you'd like. i don't agree with the concept of spending all that money maintaining a singular idiot light, of something that we all should be visually checking before every drive anyways.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #16
davesrave

Drives: 2014 Boxster S; 2015 Macan S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
You know, they can just be within range right? I have the opposite - only my winters have tpms because I raise/lower my pressure in the summer depending on my activity, and I care far more if my winters go flat!

I can pass with the winters sitting in the car as long as they're at the right pressure level
I leave my summers with TPMS in the garage. The car in winter reads those from about 10 feet away and the TPMS won't come on until 22 miles later. I agree the low profile tires hide low pressures, so I check them regularly.
davesrave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davesrave For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #17
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i can explain it any way you'd like. i don't agree with the concept of spending all that money maintaining a singular idiot light, of something that we all should be visually checking before every drive anyways.

You paid for it already, It cost $0 to keep/maintain it. Now if you said you had a defective transmitter and did not want to purchase a new one I could almost see your point. You can not visually check pressure on low profile performance tires.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #18
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
You know, they can just be within range right? I have the opposite - only my winters have tpms because I raise/lower my pressure in the summer depending on my activity, and I care far more if my winters go flat!

I can pass with the winters sitting in the car as long as they're at the right pressure level
Hey that's a good idea, keeping the wheels in the car. Cool, midwinter inspection problem solved. Thanks
Old 04-23-2019, 08:43 PM   #19
gravitylover

Quote:
indiana only does emissions testing, and because the car is a 2005+, they only check the gas cap and scan the car to make sure it clears itself.
i'm somewhat happy with it, as my '02 ranger wouldn't pass yearly inspection with some of the rust it's currently got.
I only have safety no emissions. There also can't be any active CEL's and it has to be at least 75 miles since any codes have been thrown. This is why my 06 Durango is about to go past it's inspection, I can't get the light to stay off more than about 60 miles for a tank vent solenoid that doesn't want to read right.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:20 AM   #20
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I only have safety no emissions. There also can't be any active CEL's and it has to be at least 75 miles since any codes have been thrown. This is why my 06 Durango is about to go past it's inspection, I can't get the light to stay off more than about 60 miles for a tank vent solenoid that doesn't want to read right.
A tank vent solenoid doesn't "read", it's a valve that opens and closes, it has no built in feedback circuit, the PCM will come to the conclusion that the system isn't air tight with its leak detection strategy.

I assume you've already gone through the phase of throwing parts at it and that it has a new vent solenoid and is still throwing a leak code? I've seen quite a few of those chrysler fuel pump units break at the lock ring and leak vapors from the top of the tank.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #21
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
You paid for it already, It cost $0 to keep/maintain it. Now if you said you had a defective transmitter and did not want to purchase a new one I could almost see your point. You can not visually check pressure on low profile performance tires.
While I absolutely agree with you, I need to point out it is not $0 cost. The batteries in the sensors have a life, and on most cars you have to replace the entire sensor.

I have to do that the next time I get the tires changed on my '04 Suburban. At least one of the sensors is out. They are about $50 for a set, so not exactly expensive, but not exactly free either.

Fortunately, the Suburban just shows it on the info screen, you press a button and it goes away. It's not a constant light.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Grady (04-24-2019), soundman98 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #22
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
While I absolutely agree with you, I need to point out it is not $0 cost. The batteries in the sensors have a life, and on most cars you have to replace the entire sensor.

I have to do that the next time I get the tires changed on my '04 Suburban. At least one of the sensors is out. They are about $50 for a set, so not exactly expensive, but not exactly free either.

Fortunately, the Suburban just shows it on the info screen, you press a button and it goes away. It's not a constant light.
We are on the same page. My point was until it breaks it is 100% paid for and free. When it breaks and you do not want the light on and unwilling to pay do the ghetto black tape method.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #23
gravitylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
A tank vent solenoid doesn't "read", it's a valve that opens and closes, it has no built in feedback circuit, the PCM will come to the conclusion that the system isn't air tight with its leak detection strategy.

I assume you've already gone through the phase of throwing parts at it and that it has a new vent solenoid and is still throwing a leak code? I've seen quite a few of those Chrysler fuel pump units break at the lock ring and leak vapors from the top of the tank.
Yup and actually it's an evap code. Good call on the lock ring/seal. Is that something I can check easily? Can I reach or at least see where that lock ring is?
Old 04-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #24
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Not easily. I usually find them with an evap tester hooked up at the purge solenoid and a super sensitive microphone (snap-on sonic check) because I can never get eyes on.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #25
rustymuffler

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureRedBRZ17 View Post
Just lost a tire that I ran almost flat for a bit and didn’t notice the light (my fault). While relying on an idiot light isn’t ideal, lower profile tires don’t exactly give the same warning signs as a tire with a taller sidewall. Does an option exist to turn on an audible chime when the TPMS activates? Thanks!
I don’t believe there is a factory option to turn on an audible chime with the TPMS light, but I recall seeing a DIY to add auto door locking when the car reached a certain speed, and this was all done with an Arduino interfacing with the OBD port. so to answer your question: yes I think you could make it happen, and pretty cheaply too but it all depends how much effort you want to put in. it would take some time to figure out the specific canbus protocols for the tpms indicator and door chime, then programming the code to make it all work.
rustymuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:44 PM   #26
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't agree with the concept of spending all that money maintaining a singular idiot light, of something that we all should be visually checking before every drive anyways.
What money are you spending on "TPMS maintenance?" At least for the first 5 or 6 years until the batteries in the sensors die? Arguably, you wasted more money going out of your way to disable everything, since you've basically disabled a system you already paid for when you purchased the vehicle...

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:29 PM   #27
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
What money are you spending on "TPMS maintenance?" At least for the first 5 or 6 years until the batteries in the sensors die? Arguably, you wasted more money going out of your way to disable everything, since you've basically disabled a system you already paid for when you purchased the vehicle...
i don't like it, i didn't need it, and cutting it out didn't do anything harmful. so i cut it out. don't get me started on reverse camera's. i would have crank windows if i could on the car. and i'm still debating about deleting the a/c.

i didn't get the car because it was new and nice, i got it because it was cheaper in the long run than rebuilding a rusty drift missile.

now if you'll excuse me, there's some damn kids on my lawn that didn't learn their lesson last time
humfrz (04-26-2019), Stang70Fastback (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 12:40 AM   #28
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,814 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
i don't like it, i didn't need it, and cutting it out didn't do anything harmful. so i cut it out. don't get me started on reverse camera's. i would have crank windows if i could on the car. and i'm still debating about deleting the a/c.

i didn't get the car because it was new and nice, i got it because it was cheaper in the long run than rebuilding a rusty drift missile.

now if you'll excuse me, there's some damn kids on my lawn that didn't learn their lesson last time
You tell em, Sparky -

My first vehicle was "basic" and I got along just fine -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-27-2019)