follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Audi
on the German Autobahn

Drives: Sweet A3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Driver Comfort Concerns

i am planning to buy new sport car as daily car . my daily trip will be around 2 to 4 hours (I am a 45-year-old man) i heard that sport cars in general like miata and s2000 are stiff and tiring . So do you think that fr-s/BRZ will have the same issue? and if it is should i install aftermarket shock absorbers or something like that? Do any of you have any experience, suggestions to improve the riding comfort?
the good thing i heard about is they promises great gas mileage for the FR-S
Audi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
from my experience, stock shocks are better than some of the aftermarket shocks. I would just wait around a bit before buy aftermarket shocks
Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
NastyNate

Drives: 05 MazdaSpeed Miata
The suspension on my miata was fine. That thing that really hurt were large bumps. I've since gone to an even stiffer spring with better valved shocks. The ride is much better. It's quite a bit firmer but not spine crushing.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
The suspension on my miata was fine. That thing that really hurt were large bumps. I've since gone to an even stiffer spring with better valved shocks. The ride is much better. It's quite a bit firmer but not spine crushing.
thats because of the way the miata was designed. it has a really low springrate and uses bumpstops during anything close to hard cornering. that way the ride isnt horrible but it can still handle. the issue is large bumps put the car on its bumpstops increasing the effective springrate tenfold instantly. when you up the rates, the car can now stay off the stops making the ride firmer but less jarring.

in my opinion you should steer clear of these sports cars if thats a real conern. if you want something sporty but liveable look to the sports luxury segment like you seemingly already have
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Audi
on the German Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
from my experience, stock shocks are better than some of the aftermarket shocks. I would just wait around a bit before buy aftermarket shocks
Thanks ichitaka05
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
If you are worried about ride quality then buy a sporty car, not a sports car. I am thinking that the FR-S/BRZ will not ride too bad on stock shocks and springs. Probably firm but not jarring. But then I drive a MRS on coil-overs so most anything will feel good to me. If I am going on a trip or to work, I take my CTS. If I am going on a fun drive, I take the MRS.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
AE86XGC8

Drives: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi View Post
the good thing i heard about is they promises great gas mileage for the FR-S
I think it's more about how you drive.

http://jalopnik.com/5112190/how-to-g...-a-porsche-911
Quote:
The masochistic Germans have been at it again, driving a 345 HP 2009 Porsche 911 efficiently enough to return 35 MPG (US). Did they drive it slowly? No, not really.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
MRZ415

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
yeah .. how you drive can really play a key role in ride comfort and fuel economy.
I can drive like a slug and get 50+mpg on my TDI ((boring))
[[comfy relaxing ride]]
I can drive like a mad man and get 30+mpg on my TDI just the same ((less boring))
[[ heart racing fast rough ride ]]
Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi View Post
... i heard that sport cars in general like miata and s2000 are stiff and tiring . So do you think that fr-s/BRZ will have the same issue? and if it is should i install aftermarket shock absorbers or something like that? Do any of you have any experience, suggestions to improve the riding comfort? ...
The damper valving is what plays the primary role in perceived ride quality. A high quality digressive damper correctly tuned to the cars weights [sprung, unsprung, and spring rate] will ride smoothly over rough pavement while also providing adequate chassis control through directional transitions. As a rule of thumb, OEM dampers are usually tuned for ride comfort, not optimum chassis control. Even then, dampers on affordable cars have to cost the manufacturer so little money that they rarely perform as well as expensive dampers [rather obvious]. As such, some manufacturers choose to use a cheap linear damper and sacrifice ride quality for perceived handling, when in fact both suffer. What Subaru/Toyota end up putting on the car is TBD. Also, each model may have slightly different damper valving as there's been some press how the BRZ handles slightly different than the 86/FR-S.

In the end, it'll be best to wait until the car comes to market and drive one for yourself to determine ride quality, as it's a subjective thing. If the ride is too rough, you can buy a good set of dampers like KW Variant 3, Nitron Singles, Ohlins DFV, and Koni Yellow and adjust them [or have them custom valved] to your preference.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
Audi
on the German Autobahn

Thanks all

Last edited by Audi; 01-02-2012 at 10:23 PM.