follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
I'd go for extended warranty because it doesn't take much to pay for itself UNLESS you are going to heavily mod it.

High pressure fuel pump alone is over $2k. Plus used, you never know what the last owner did with the car

Get a PPI either way. Don't trust 1 word the dealership or salesman says. Most cars were garage kept and belonged to the manager OR owner of the car lot LOL
And how many high pressure fuel pumps have been reported as failing? I do not recall one.
ermax (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #16
RyMi

Drives: 2001 Honda Accord
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
You are correct on all points. I've owned a '13 since new and have had no major issues yet. When I bring the car in for the recall, I'll likely do plugs and some other maintenance items at the same time. Otherwise, it's a very easy car to work on and very reliable. This is the third Subaru I have owned.

I’m hoping that’s the case haha. Everyone else is making me think I’d be better off buying a used S2K or something. It’s surprising to me because I really haven’t heard of these cars having a whole lot of issues at all, being Toyotas and all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #17
RyMi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Or they can go 120K with zero issues. The car does not start to disintegrate at 60K. Wear and tear items won't be covered by an extended warranty anyway.

Seems like bigger issues some people are having may not necessarily be representative of the majority of cars. I figure I’ll be fine if I get a car that was well taken care of. I’m not tracking the car at all, just dailying

Old 01-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
RyMi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
you better buy additional 50k mile warranty from dealer, you gonna need it since you aint mechanically savvy.

I can count the stuffs that might go out after 60k miles + there are good amount of wear & tear items that will need to be replaced & wont be covered by warranty after that mileage.

I would get a 30k mile one if you are serious, trust me, you are not saving money by buying a 50-70k one. No point in gambling..... thou buying a used twin is kind like a gamble...

or get a carmax one with unlimit mile warranty for x amount of years & make a youtube series.

I think that only works with Land Rovers...

Old 01-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #19
RyMi

Quote:
I have just gone over 120,000 miles and other than the TOB have not had a single thing go wrong much less something that would be covered by a warranty. Hell I didn't even need to change my wiper blades until almost 100K. If the car was well maintained and not beat to hell I just do not see any advantage to getting an extended warranty since they simply do not cover enough to have value. If it as obviously beat on then buy another.

This was more of what I would have expected from a car like this. Sounds like buying right is really what it comes down to

Old 01-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #20
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyMi View Post
This was more of what I would have expected from a car like this. Sounds like buying right is really what it comes down to

There were a number of small issues and a couple of big ones that were mainly centered around the early 13s. Most were well resolved by the time the 14s came out. Since the 13s were the largest production year it sometimes make it seem like the problems were prolonged when they really weren't.
You can see by the dates on the TSBs that the 13s suffered the most as you would expect with a brand new platform and engine.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868
Old 01-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #21
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

To be honest the car is pretty reliable. Cuz It's a simple car that's overbuild for the stock spec.

I would inspect the car on a hoist with a mechanic if you can, check if there are oil on the underplate/header & anywhere around the engine. Rest are easy fix really.

then pray for the rest.....like he didn't FI the car previously.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoskaze For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-25-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #22
RyMi

Quote:
To be honest the car is pretty reliable. Cuz It's a simple car that's overbuild for the stock spec.

I would inspect the car you are interested on a jack with a mechanic if you can. Check if there are oil on the underplate/header anywhere around the engine. Rest are easy fix really.

then pray for the rest.....like he didn't FI the car previously.

For sure. I’ll be having a PPI done and having someone go with me as well

Old 01-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #23
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post

High pressure fuel pump alone is over $2k. Plus used, you never know what the last owner did with the car
...... $2k for the same fuel pump found in a Camry?
Dude you got raped.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #24
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I’m hoping that’s the case haha. Everyone else is making me think I’d be better off buying a used S2K or something. It’s surprising to me because I really haven’t heard of these cars having a whole lot of issues at all, being Toyotas and all

S2ks are fairly bulletproof, but a decent low mileage example will cost a lot more than the 13-14k budget that you mentioned and you’ll be buying a car that is long out of warranty.
The twins are much more Subaru than they are Toyota... so while they are generally pretty reliable, they aren’t exactly a Toyota Corolla. Buying any used car (particularly a sports car) is a gamble, so buy one that is still under warranty or put some money aside for potential repairs.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:07 PM   #25
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Dude you got raped.
Haven’t seen a Subaru engine in a Camry yet... high pressure pump is on the motor.

$2k still seems high, looks like $500ish new, $150 used. That’s a lot left over for labor.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #26
Tcoat

The engine is Subaru. The fuel system is Toyota.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #27
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I have 120k miles and the following parts have failed.

Fuel pressure regulator (water in gas tank) - $100
Door lock actuators - $184
Third brake light - $40
Homelink mirror adapter - $10
HID bulb flickering - $60

Over 5 years I don’t consider this too bad. Luckily I don’t have the valve cover leak or the cam plate leak.

I think a 2013 with a build date after 06/2013 will treat you nicely.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norcalpb For This Useful Post:
RyMi (01-25-2019), Tcoat (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #28
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If the car was well maintained and not beat to hell I just do not see any advantage to getting an extended warranty since they simply do not cover enough to have value.
As someone who has now used my extended warranty twice on a vehicle that has been maintained to the letter of the maintenance schedule and has mostly highway miles with no track days or beatings at all, I'd have to disagree.

I think I paid $1000 for the warranty when I bought the car. The oil pump gear exploded at 65K miles, resulting in a $6800 engine replacement that I didn't have to pay for. The warranty more than paid for itself then.

Now at 97K miles the timing cover was leaking about half a quart of oil onto the exhaust manifold between oil changes, stinking when I drove it and getting worse as time went on. I'm going to pick it up today, so I'm not sure what the cost for that would have been.

Granted, I figure this is atypical for this car, as most seem to be pretty reliable. However, a warranty is insurance. I would have been fine paying for it for the peace of mind even if I hadn't had to use it. Twice.

Quote:
If I can do it again I would get 100k mile warranty from dealer when I bought the car brand new, my timing chain cover starts to leak oil after 58k miles.
That's exactly the problem that has mine in the shop right now at about 32K on the new motor.

Quote:
It’s surprising to me because I really haven’t heard of these cars having a whole lot of issues at all, being Toyotas and all
Well first, these cars don't have a lot of issues. Or put a different way, ALL cars have issues, and these cars don't have a disproportionate share of them. It only seems like they have a lot of issues because you're reading an enthusiast site where people talk about their cars. Nobody runs to the internet to talk about the day that their car didn't break. You'll see similar trouble discussion on a Camry board if you can stay awake long enough to read it.

Second, this is not really a Toyota. It's not really a Subaru. It's something in between. So you really can't use one brand or the other as a benchmark for your expectations for this vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Dude you got raped.
That sounds about right if you have the dealership do it. First you have the markup on the parts, then you have the labor. You can't really compare that to "what if I buy the part online somewhere and install it myself." Because if you take it to the dealership, you're not buying the part online and installing it yourself.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote