follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oofie View Post
Are the Club Racers street-able? Or would they be too much?
They surprisingly don't squeal that much on the street for a track pad. More like a muted squeal than an ear piercing one like other track pads. However, cold track pads on the street are very abrasive and will wear your rotors faster, so keep that in mind if you are planning on street driving track pads.

The best and most economical solution is to swap pads for street/track. No such thing as best of both worlds...
CSG Mike (05-06-2013), oofie (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Are the Club Racers street-able? Or would they be too much?
Once fully bedded and you learn to modulate them for street use, the noise is almost completely gone. You'll get a muted squeak when you first start pressing on the brakes, and when you lift at very low speeds.

It'll pass the girl test
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
oofie (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #31
maj75

Drives: Blue FRS 6sp, 95 M3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am very happy with the Carbotech XP8 pads I have on my car. I have stock size Kumho Ecsta XS tires. Two full day events with 1 hour session at the end of the day. No fade, minimal noise and my instructors were impressed with the braking of the car.

Just changed them out after this weekends event at Sebring. They aren't bad on the street and the dust is tolerable. Since I don't put a lot of miles on my car, I considered leaving them on. Since I was swapping back to my street wheels, I decided to put the stock pads back in.

Pretty easy job when you just take out the bottom 14mm bolt and swing the calipers up. I do find that the pistons do need to be compressed when I put the stock pads back on. The car only has 5000 miles and the stock pads have little wear.
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maj75 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #32
oofie

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
They surprisingly don't squeal that much on the street for a track pad. More like a muted squeal than an ear piercing one like other track pads. However, cold track pads on the street are very abrasive and will wear your rotors faster, so keep that in mind if you are planning on street driving track pads.

The best and most economical solution is to swap pads for street/track. No such thing as best of both worlds...
Thanks orthojoe! Only reason I ask is because sometimes, I won't be able to change out the pads right away. It might have to wait a week or two after each HPDE. I guess if I were to do the Club Racers, I just need to find time to swap it out sooner.
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #33
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks orthojoe! Only reason I ask is because sometimes, I won't be able to change out the pads right away. It might have to wait a week or two after each HPDE. I guess if I were to do the Club Racers, I just need to find time to swap it out sooner.
Nah, I don't think it's a big deal to wait 1-2 weeks to swap pads out. No sweat. I wouldn't worry about doing it that way even with the project mu CRs.

A few months? I wouldn't wait that long, just because I don't want to wear away the rotors prematurely.
CSG Mike (05-06-2013), oofie (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #34
Dezoris

Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I did the Mu 800HC, and on one hand they feel great in the street but the layer from bedding is gone so they squeal. Now granted I got fading after 3-4 laps on the track, I really appreciate being able to drive them home and have a wider operating temperature down to freezing temps.

I don't think I would like the trade offs of switching pads all the time, or losing the initial bite by going to a much more agressive pad.

But if you don't care about swapping all the time definitely go with the CRs or Carbotechs.

These were provided by MikeCSG
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #35
oofie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
^Thanks for the input! I'll definitely consider those as track/street use pads. I'm a novice with HPDE's, so I'm pretty sure I wont be able to maximize the Club Racers.

btw, I love your videos
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #36
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
^Thanks for the input! I'll definitely consider those as track/street use pads. I'm a novice with HPDE's, so I'm pretty sure I wont be able to maximize the Club Racers.

btw, I love your videos
It's not about maxing out the brake pad based on your skill level, it's about making sure you got a good safety buffer to work with while you're at the track. The most important things at the track besides not throwing oil and coolant on the tarmac are brakes and tires.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
oofie (05-06-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #37
why

Drives: 1977 GMC '13 Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I did my first couple of track days on the stock brake pads. They would start to fade after just a few laps. After reading what other folks were trying I went with the CL RC6 pads for my FR-S. I put on only the front pads and then did a two day track event. I was very impressed with their performance and how little dust they generated. They are so good that I was surprised when I put the stock pads back on the car. The only downside I have experienced is a little occasional squealing under light braking on the street.
why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #38
Touge Monster

Drives: 85 AE86 Hatch, 92 SW20 , 13 GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've been running hawk hp+ fronts hps rears stop tech lines with ate super blue fluid I've had 2 Laguna seca track days plus regular daily driving in between been satisfied with the braking performance noise/dust will be a bit much for most people.