follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2024, 10:50 AM   #29
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
For those who strive for a vehicle that does 2.9s 0-60 times, calculate the cost per launch. All that just to experience 0.94 g's on your back.
Flight surgeon Col. John Stapp experienced over 42 Gs in an experimental rocket sled in the earlier days of aerospace research. Probably there are many amusement park options that will way "out thrill" a Plaid or equivalent, but without the status.
Having viewed many YouTube dragstrip videos, I get the impression these superfast e-racers are doing many of their launches not on a race strip. Despite the large numbers of Plaids (or equally powerful) electrics sold, I never see them featured on the popular drag channel Cars and Zebras.

It seems people are creating more and more ways to put wealthy people's lives at greater risk. For example, offering the "amusement" of diving to see the Titanic in an uncertified carbon fibre sub.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 03-14-2024 at 11:04 AM.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:57 PM   #30
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
And the fascia...oh man...every electric car seems to be using that type of slit headlights flanking a thin "grille".
Now that LED headlights are a thing, you are going to see that in almost all new cars ICE/EV or otherwise. GM is already moving to it. The slit isn't always the headlights by the way. Take the LYRIQ below, the headlights are the interior vertical LEDs (the exterior ones are DRL's and also provide cornering lights) and the "slits" that run horizontally at the hoodline are the turn signals.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (03-14-2024), wbradley (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 03:34 PM   #31
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Now that LED headlights are a thing, you are going to see that in almost all new cars ICE/EV or otherwise. GM is already moving to it. The slit isn't always the headlights by the way. Take the LYRIQ below, the headlights are the interior vertical LEDs (the exterior ones are DRL's and also provide cornering lights) and the "slits" that run horizontally at the hoodline are the turn signals.

Hmmm, where have I seen that layout before?

The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 03:52 PM   #32
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Hmmm, where have I seen that layout before?
Seems like Ugly Ducking/Beautiful Swan to me. I'll let you decide which is which.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 05:53 PM   #33
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
The Aztek was a lame attempt to market SUVs to a younger active crowd. I knew someone who had a new black one, and it didn't look too bad since the color hid the ridiculous side cladding more. He actually liked the vehicle, and previously he used to order Yukon XLs from his father who was in the business and sell them after 6 months at zero cost or at a profit at that time. But he liked the Aztek. Too bad 99% of them looked so awkward with that experimental looking face and uber shmaltzy Pontiac cladding, which is probably the biggest negative associated with the brand. It's like a Chevy with love handles.

Just let's all be thankful we aren't stuck driving Nissan Cubes. It's almost always men drivers when I see them, like 40 year old Asians with no shame. Lol
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-15-2024), Spuds (03-14-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:13 AM   #34
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Too bad 99% of them looked so awkward with that experimental looking face and uber shmaltzy Pontiac cladding, which is probably the biggest negative associated with the brand. It's like a Chevy with love handles.
That was a GM affliction, not just Pontiac. The Astro, Avalanche, and a few other models were wearing the cladding of shame during that time period. All of them looked better without it.

My unsubstantiated theory was the body panel plant at Spring Hill (home of Saturn at the time) needed more work to do to keep the shop busy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
wbradley (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 10:48 AM   #35
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
The 90's Grand AM was the poster child for cladding affliction. Lol
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 01:00 PM   #36
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Love how everyone goes nuts at 26:04 for the "flipper glass" like it is something unique.
It is pretty unique in this day and age; there are fewer and fewer (and many of those are "older" models) so it's nice to see a new car with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Good looking designs. Shame they're comically large.
This is my complaint. As a fan of the "Rad-era", I really love the R3 and it's retro Lada/Lancia/GTI lines - but despite the lower roof line, it's still roughly the same length as a modern RAV4.

That being said at the right price, the R3 could be the first EV I'm genuinely interested in.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 11:48 AM   #37
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
The 90's Grand AM was the poster child for cladding affliction. Lol
90's Pontiac as a whole was cladding affliction central.

I think the first one that actually made an effort to rid itself of it was the 8th gen grand prix.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 01:32 PM   #38
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
90's Pontiac as a whole was cladding affliction central.

I think the first one that actually made an effort to rid itself of it was the 8th gen grand prix.
I think you're correct. That was the car that had rear doors that swung open a full 90 degrees. Only reason I knew that was when that vehicle was still current I did some business with a gentleman who was an engineer, originally from Conneticut as I recall, that was working at GM manufacturing in Oshawa, ON where the vehicles were built .

I read there was a particular designer at GM that was responsible for slapping those ridiculous mouldings on everything.

Last edited by wbradley; 03-19-2024 at 07:07 AM.