follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Slade

Drives: 14 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My nightmare with my BRZ is over!!

So two weeks ago I bought this 2014 BRZ that they didn't even have for a month yet. I just took delivery yesterday, why did it take so long? Apparently they ECU fried and it took them forever to find the cause. Finally they told me Subaru sent their own personal tech from the factory and they discovered that the LED bulbs the original owner put in fried everything. I don't care too much I'm just happy to have my car. A couple questions though, does this mean I can't put LEDS in the car anymore? Also my BRZ came with red footwell lighting, is there anyway I can change that to blue? I never saw those kinds of LED bulbs before not sure what size they are. Thanks.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have had LED bulbs in the entire car, pretty much since I bought it, and my ECU has yet to be fried. Not sure how that would cause that to happen. Tons of people have LEDs in many old and new cars. I'm wondering if LEDs were the only modification to the car? If so, maybe that was the only thing they could think to blame for what could have simply been a faulty ECU?
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
There are several cases on here where defective or improperly installed lights have blown the BCU. There are also hundreds that have had no issues. Buy quali5y parts (cheap is cheap for a reason) and make sure they are properly installed and you should have no problems.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
if you want to covert some of the lights to LED's, look into @Diode Dynamics

they have quality quality bulbs!!
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFRS69 For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (09-08-2015), soulreapersteve (09-06-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wow I've never heard of this before. I bought relatively cheap bulbs on amazon. No issues.

I wonder who makes the BCU
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kberkel View Post
Wow I've never heard of this before. I bought relatively cheap bulbs on amazon. No issues.

I wonder who makes the BCU
Not really the cheap bulbs that are the issue but the electronics that go with them. The BCU is designed and made for the stock electronics so there is always a risk when changing them to any aftermarket parts. The higher the quality though the less the risk. Usually.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post

So two weeks ago I bought this 2014 BRZ that they didn't even have for a month yet. I just took delivery yesterday, why did it take so long? Apparently they ECU fried and it took them forever to find the cause. Finally they told me Subaru sent their own personal tech from the factory and they discovered that the LED bulbs the original owner put in fried everything. I don't care too much I'm just happy to have my car. A couple questions though, does this mean I can't put LEDS in the car anymore? Also my BRZ came with red footwell lighting, is there anyway I can change that to blue? I never saw those kinds of LED bulbs before not sure what size they are. Thanks.
Be careful with the your LED foot-well. Make sure its installed well since improper installation is a fire hazard. I had a friend who had his mazda speed burned down due to the LED foot-well. Luckily Mazda didnt notice that their was aftermarket parts on his car and they replaced the whole car for him lol.

You can change it to blue if its a RGBY LED strip, if not then youll have to remove it and buy a new led strip. I don't recommend putting any LED strip since it can become an annoyance later down the road and the huge fire hazard.

As for LED Bulbs you can change the following:
Headlights (low + high) : D4S (only requires a pair)
Foglights : PSX24W or 5202 for hid
License plate: W5W, T10 194
Trunk light : same as license plate
Front + rear side marker lights : same as license plate
Side door lights : Same as license plate
Front + Rear turn signal : 7440, 7443, WY21W
Interior dome : 3022
Back up light: 921

Youll need atleast 10x T10 194 bulbs

DIY For footwell lighting
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74191
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27471 (door speakers)

DONT CHEAP OUT ON LEDS!!!
Buy them in packages or group which makes them a lot cheaper.

- Your friendly neighborhood Black Jesus
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackJesus For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (09-08-2015), Porcupint (09-08-2015), soulreapersteve (09-06-2015), Tcoat (09-06-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
Slade

Drives: 14 Limited BRZ
Thanks for all the replies guys. So I guess I should stay away from ebay LED's? Regarding the footwell light though it doesnt seem to be a strip. Its a very small bulb even smaller then the 194. I'm just wondering if I can swap that to blue but I don't know what size.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
Be careful with the your LED foot-well. Make sure its installed well since improper installation is a fire hazard. I had a friend who had his mazda speed burned down due to the LED foot-well. Luckily Mazda didnt notice that their was aftermarket parts on his car and they replaced the whole car for him lol.

You can change it to blue if its a RGBY LED strip, if not then youll have to remove it and buy a new led strip. I don't recommend putting any LED strip since it can become an annoyance later down the road and the huge fire hazard.

- Your friendly neighborhood Black Jesus
Wait, so your friend had led lights installed improperly by himself or someone else, the car burnt down due to this and he just let the dealer replace the car? Honest guy
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtslow For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (09-07-2015), soulreapersteve (09-06-2015), Tcoat (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
wrblion

Drives: 2011 WRX Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
Wait, so your friend had led lights installed improperly by himself or someone else, the car burnt down due to this and he just let the dealer replace the car? Honest guy
What would you have done? I honestly would have done the same thing if my car burnt down. Some people blow their engines while still under warranty because of aftermarket performance mods and use the warranty to get it rebuilt.
wrblion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #11
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
enjoy the car the way but I am sure changing the color of the foot well LED should not be an issue. Other than that, keep it as it is and enjoy one of the best handling cars on the road (with great MPG too boot!)
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:36 AM   #12
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrblion View Post
What would you have done? I honestly would have done the same thing if my car burnt down. Some people blow their engines while still under warranty because of aftermarket performance mods and use the warranty to get it rebuilt.
I honestly don't know as I haven't been been put in that position. I hope my scruples would hold up. My previous car had some warranty work for the head unit cutting out. I let the dealership know about the aftermarket audio components (sub and amp) installed prior to me owning the car and told them I'd understand that if these components were causing the issuing I know the warranty wouldn't be honored and I would just install an aftermarket head unit.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtslow For This Useful Post:
wrblion (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #13
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
Yup, he was very LUCKY. Mazda didnt find any evidence of the LED and at that time there was a recall on most mazda due to a venting issue which causes overheating.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #14
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. So I guess I should stay away from ebay LED's? Regarding the footwell light though it doesnt seem to be a strip. Its a very small bulb even smaller then the 194. I'm just wondering if I can swap that to blue but I don't know what size.
could you take a picture of the footwell? Tbh i have some ebay led installed on my car and it didnt have any issue what so ever