follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #1625
darnbry

Drives: Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm having the same issues as everyone cel and sl light on plus the shaking of engine and misfire while in idle mode. My question is has anyone got any compensation for this ? And how did you get it?
darnbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #1626
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
I, for one, would be grateful if someone could explain-clarify how break-in would affect the valve in question. I am not at odds with this statement. I am just a little vague about how that works.
My belife is that the tolerances inside the cam gears are actually a little TOO tight for some of them function properly. It goes to this concept of tolerances "stacking up" inside the cam gear (this was mentioned in Toyota's official communication). Inside these things there are basically a bunch of parts. If each one of them is a little on the large side then all of them together won't move too well...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWZmc9Xx6mg&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]BorgWarner Variable Cam Timing (Mid Position Lock) - YouTube[/ame]

...in a way I really appreciate that this could even be a problem because it means that the engineers who worked on the cam gears are designing the tolerances for ware. As our motors get older these delicate and expensive assemblies will continue to function as intended.

So to your question; the harder the break-in the looser the tolerances become?

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (10-16-2012), Genomaxter (10-15-2012), Marrk (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #1627
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Most people with this issue aren't seeing damaged engine components right? I remember one guy had mechanical damage but I think that was an anomaly which caused people to freak out thinking CEL=damaged mechanical parts automatically. Typically, the CEL triggers the engine to run in limp mode to safeguard things from getting damaged. The CEL issue is already a small minority and having damaged parts is probably a tiny minority of the already small minority. Any car make/model is bound to see a few failures like that even if it is late in the model run/not a first year model.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #1628
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Most people with this issue aren't seeing damaged engine components right? I remember one guy had mechanical damage but I think that was an anomaly which caused people to freak out thinking CEL=damaged mechanical parts automatically. Typically, the CEL triggers the engine to run in limp mode to safeguard things from getting damaged. The CEL issue is already a small minority and having damaged parts is probably a tiny minority of the already small minority. Any car make/model is bound to see a few failures like that even if it is late in the model run/not a first year model.
On this forum I think there have only been three or four catastrophic engine failures. I think all of them happened immediatly after a cam gear replacement so they're probably the product of improperly setting the timing leading to valves comming into contact with valves and/or pistons.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #1629
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Decided to do a quick search and here is what I found in this thread:

Problems with hard break in:
ftc~brz - "Hey art, I hit 7200 rpm a few times today and here's what my car learned...now I have cel/idle/slp and a new one...."

Boost Junkie - "I did not follow the break-in per the manual and drove it spiritedly from day one. CEL came on @ 1115 miles."

Problems with soft break in:
christina_marie - "FR-S (Asphalt AT), 7073xx, western MA area - normal break in, never went above 4K and didn't drive her hard until after 1000 miles."

So, I'm not sure I buy break in has anything to do with these issues. I will accept ECU change might fix it, but we have members here who have gotten the CEL with either break in method.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AsianStyle For This Useful Post:
Marrk (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #1630
jduffy

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post
So, I'm not sure I buy break in has anything to do with these issues. I will accept ECU change might fix it, but we have members here who have gotten the CEL with either break in method.
I agree as there are too many people who have clearly done both styles of break in with the problem.

Plus if Toyota/Subaru had been able to pinpoint this problem sooner to break in styles we'd be hearing about it from the dealers.

They still don't have a grasp of what's causing this is my guess or else there wouldn't be so much confusion still.
jduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #1631
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
As said there are both proper break in with CEL and hard break in with CEL. I am one of those who redlined it out of the dealer I drove it pretty hard the first 100km (and then my CEL came on). I wasn't even done with the "break-in" period....

And some people got CEL just driving a few miles after getting the car.

Why the hell couldn't Toyobaru just settle with regular fixed cam gears instead of these variable things! Problem solved!
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #1632
KrzysFR

Drives: GT 86, black
Angry

You can also add me to the list:

KrzysFR, GT86, 1400 km, 0067XX, CEL, France

Got blinking CEL / rough idle the last few weeks, and tonight I got CEL + SL on the trip home. SL disappeared after a few minutes and only CEL remains. Also the engine sounds like an old diesel truck when shifting into 1st or 2nd gear.

Of course, according to the dealership, I must be the first one to ever have this problem in the world, because they never heard of any problem whatsoever with the GT86...

Update 10/16: code P0019, dealership cleared the code and they will contact me when they hear from Toyota France in 72 hours max.

Last edited by KrzysFR; 10-16-2012 at 06:13 AM.
KrzysFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrzysFR For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-15-2012), ftc~brz (10-16-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #1633
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
Now we almost got people on the list from all around the world. This is clearly a global problem.
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesperswe For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-15-2012), ftc~brz (10-16-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #1634
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperswe View Post
Why the hell couldn't Toyobaru just settle with regular fixed cam gears instead of these variable things! Problem solved!
Because 100 hp/L with decent low RPM characteristics?
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #1635
cyrus

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS White Out
It's been 10 days since I've been waiting for the new ECM. The part is on backorder and the service manager has no ETA on how long it'll be.

Anyone have any other information from other dealers on how long the wait is before the ECM drops?

The service manager is speculating the reason for the backorder is that they are experimenting and manufacturing entirely new units to address this issue.

They have two other vehicles besides mine waiting at the dealership for the new ECM.

This is quite frustrating. I chose the FR-S over the Porsche Cayman because of reliability and lower cost of maintenance. I hope they get these issues worked out.
cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #1636
brianlo622

Drives: 2013 FR-S, raven
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
It's been 10 days since I've been waiting for the new ECM. The part is on backorder and the service manager has no ETA on how long it'll be.

Anyone have any other information from other dealers on how long the wait is before the ECM drops?

The service manager is speculating the reason for the backorder is that they are experimenting and manufacturing entirely new units to address this issue.

They have two other vehicles besides mine waiting at the dealership for the new ECM.

This is quite frustrating. I chose the FR-S over the Porsche Cayman because of reliability and lower cost of maintenance. I hope they get these issues worked out.
Same.. picked the FRS over a (2013) Cayman for immediate availability, lower cost of ownership, and almost equally as fun.

To answer your question, Northern California here, brought my car in on 10/3/2012, got an update from my service advisor a week later that the ECU will be here "sometime in the first week of November".
brianlo622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #1637
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Set up a appointment with the dealer since they could not see the car today. Im going to have to take of my tune and go in stock minus the exhaust. The service manager said no one has come in with the issue and they have not heard anything from Toyota.

Hopefully the problem can be replicated on Saturday and i can start on getting this fixed. I just hope i dont have to fight the dealership over this.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #1638
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
I love my fr-s but all of these problems are getting me worried about when the warranty is over if these things are going to start falling apart and now that all the auto media knows about the problems you are starting to see a lot of articles questioning the quality of these cars. Hopefully they get it all figured out before someone at Toyota decides to pull the plug on them

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote