follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
UEL vs EL and Longterm Use

So, I've considered both headers with Nameless EL header to JDL's upcoming UEL header and even the Borla UEL header. I do absolutely love the sound of the UEL as most would since it sounds closest to a Subaru while the EL sounds more like what a Honda would.

I'm not so worried that much about the debate with that. I'm more worried about the longterm effects of a UEL running with a different pulse because of the longer bank on one side rather than the other. Is this something that would affect the engine over 100,000 miles and damage it? Is this just some speculation people come up with about the pulses? Yes, I do love the UEL header, but I also love my engine and want to take care of it. I know pure performance sense would be EL, but I can justify going UEL to enjoy the sound since I love it. I do really care about my engine in the long run and I am curious if there are known issues with UEL headers on other Subaru's over long periods? Maybe someone a lot smarter in this area can fill me in a bit.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thanks for posting this, I'm wondering pretty much the same stuff.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I don't think there is any precedent of any significant reliability differences between EL and UEL in the EJ2xx world. Lots of stock stis came with EL twin scroll setups in japan and lots of stock stis came with extremely UEL single scroll setups.

Keep in mind that the stock header setup we have is pretty terrible and it is UEL. It seems to me that it was designed purely for packaging and pricepoint. I imagine it was intended by the designers for most serious enthusiasts to replace the entire exhaust system. The gains from the longtube designs thus car seem to attest to this.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I know three WRX with UEL headers that has 200k miles already, the only issues with those are headgasket and oil leaking and has nothing to do with the effects of UEL. If the boxer engine + UEL can last longer than a Grand AM, then we really shouldnt have much to worry about.

This may be speculation and please feel free to correct me if im wrong about this, but I think IMO the effects of UEL pulses are more tamed by the flat 4 compared to your traditional i4/v6/v8.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
I think with force induction it would magnify but UEL means one side of your engine will run slightly hotter than the other (temps in the cylinder walls). I don't know the long-term effect but as you might imagine it would wear certain parts at a different rate. Probably worst case scenario is that a piston ring wears quicker, but with the quality of component parts these days, I wouldn't worry a whole lot. For me UEL just isn't an efficient design though.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
I don't think there is any precedent of any significant reliability differences between EL and UEL in the EJ2xx world. Lots of stock stis came with EL twin scroll setups in japan and lots of stock stis came with extremely UEL single scroll setups.

Keep in mind that the stock header setup we have is pretty terrible and it is UEL. It seems to me that it was designed purely for packaging and pricepoint. I imagine it was intended by the designers for most serious enthusiasts to replace the entire exhaust system. The gains from the longtube designs thus car seem to attest to this.
I would second this.

Even going back to the "old school" V-8s the original cast iron manifolds were seldom Equal Length. Equal Length, long-tube headers have always been the upgrade for those looking to take more advantage of low-end torque. Back then, sound wasn't even much of a consideration since most of them were so loud anyway when piped through early Flowmasters or Glass Packs.

Moving forward to modern, smaller import engines, I'm still hard pressed to find many examples of manufacturers installing EL headers or manifolds from the factory so I severely doubt that there would be an issue with longevity.

I have always looked at setting up the right intake and exhaust, header combinations for engines like tuning a musical instrument. Unless the engine starts off with just abysmal parts from the factory, changing them out only "fine tunes" the instrument to what you want out of it.

Obviously I'm a dinosaur and there is a LOT more to it now with EMS and all but the original idea still holds true.

And for the record... I am with you on (@FRS-S Matt) the sound of the UEL! Pure sex and I am likely to go with one for that reason. I also HATE the "Honda-ish" rasp of EL headers and some systems. Too much like the fart cannons of the 90's.

Scott
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Yeah, I love the Nameless header and all, but I still drive my car as a DD with the occasional spirited driving. I've always been big on exhaust sounds if I hear a fart can honda (which there are tons where I live) I always am the one saying, "That sounds like complete crap, mine won't sound anything like that"

When it comes down to it, I take my car to C&C meets, keep her real cleaned up, and have a lot of fun driving it on regular/curvy roads just like anyone else does. By no means am I any kind of auto crosser or race car driver. That doesn't mean I don't want to mod my car like one though. That's the whole point of upgrading parts isn't it? Doesn't matter if you DO use it, it is there if you DO need it and it looks friggin' sweet.

I am leaning towards the JDL UEL. I'm a huge Nameless fanboy though, and I love the work Jason does and their header performance wise is absolutely insane. At least I can say my full exhaust will be Nameless and I'll have the JDL UEL.

I know this engine's internals are really good and from the way it is sounding, a UEL won't hurt this one. We'll see what my indecisive mind comes up with here in the coming months. I appreciate all the constructive feedback!
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Isn't the stock exhaust manifold UEL? Just not the proper amount of UEL-ness to produce the rumble?

I could be wrong.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
Isn't the stock exhaust manifold UEL? Just not the proper amount of UEL-ness to produce the rumble?

I could be wrong.
Yes, it is, but the length is not near as long as the aftermarket UEL's created.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
If the boxer engine + UEL can last longer than a Grand AM, then we really shouldnt have much to worry about.
But... Grand AM's don't last much more than 40K miles? j/k..

I also wondered about the effects of UEL headers long term on an engine.. glad OP started this thread.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reeves For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (03-13-2013), StormMcCloud (03-26-2014)
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
I'll let you know what happens with mine. I'm at 7500+ and getting UEL installed and tune as soon as they are in. (paid just waiting for delivery) I seem to rack milage quick and plan on keeping the brz for at least 10 years.
With that being said I wouldn't do this mod if I thought it would cause more damage than good on my dd.
I'm with @FR-S Matt on sound of a car. There is a distinct difference between fart can and a good aftermarket set up. UEL isn't for everyone but it's music to my ears and will just add to the meanness if it's done right!
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Related question, I've searched and couldn't find any catted headers, EL or UEL otherwise. Are there any in development?
kbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
kask2_6.0

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbye View Post
Related question, I've searched and couldn't find any catted headers, EL or UEL otherwise. Are there any in development?
The EL header from nameless is catted. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9179
kask2_6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kask2_6.0 View Post
The EL header from nameless is catted. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9179
That was an initial design. Their last prototype was catless.