follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #1037
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Cheap and easy intake "box". Just something to keep some of the heat from the radiator fans off the filter. Also started cutting out the scion logo for some fresh air into the filter.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #1038
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So since you got your second engine in with similar oil pressure issues I am going to put out their that I believe that they are clearancing(countersinking) the oil holes to much. The oil then is going behind the bearing and also not properly dispersing on the crankshaft in that area. This is why when you removed the bearing they had those strange markings on them. Do not know how accurate this is as this came from a part-time engine builder whom worked for others not well respected in my area for their level of work. However the theory seems sound in what we are seeing with two engines from the same builder having the same issues that no one else has had.

More of an FYI for guys building LS motors themselves or any other motor for that matter. I just had fun rebuilding a tractor engine fully because all previous rebuilds were half-assed in chassis builds and I have never seen journal wear that bad in my life lol. Cracked head, slight crack in block as well. $2500 later....

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
DustinS (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #1039
DustinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
So since you got your second engine in with similar oil pressure issues I am going to put out their that I believe that they are clearancing(countersinking) the oil holes to much. The oil then is going behind the bearing and also not properly dispersing on the crankshaft in that area. This is why when you removed the bearing they had those strange markings on them. Do not know how accurate this is as this came from a part-time engine builder whom worked for others not well respected in my area for their level of work. However the theory seems sound in what we are seeing with two engines from the same builder having the same issues that no one else has had.
Stands to reason the issue is with one of the main components that wouldn't be changed with a rebuild. I also suspect my small gain in oil pressure is from the oil bypass for DOD being capped with this new rebuild. I still feel I am going to have issues with this engine. I have noticed the valvetrain noise is never the same as well. Some days it's quiet, and other (like this morning) sound like they aren't getting any oil. Though some say lifter noises are normal for LS engine with aftermarket heads.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #1040
DustinS

Finally got the badge cut out. Cleaned it up a little after pictures. I also did a bit more work on the filter box.

I need to clearance around the MAF wires a little more.

I also ran into an issue. Noticed some discoloration on the Radiator hoses. Corresponds with my hood vent. I believe the Sun/UV is deterioration the outside of the hose. You can see where it is in the picture, and can see the fibers that came off when I touched it. So plan is to go back to regular hose when I install the new radiator.

Starts just about where my finger is.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:31 PM   #1041
wooly35

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S LS3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Stands to reason the issue is with one of the main components that wouldn't be changed with a rebuild. I also suspect my small gain in oil pressure is from the oil bypass for DOD being capped with this new rebuild. I still feel I am going to have issues with this engine. I have noticed the valvetrain noise is never the same as well. Some days it's quiet, and other (like this morning) sound like they aren't getting any oil. Though some say lifter noises are normal for LS engine with aftermarket heads.
This could be very true. I continually hear noise in the valvetrain with the PRC heads. So much that I took the valve covers off to check if any rocker arms had play in them (they didn't). Must be a common thing.
DustinS (09-04-2018), Sportsguy83 (09-19-2018), Zer0 (08-31-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #1042
DustinS

Exhaust is doing okay, but it needs some cleaning up and moving a few of the pipes. Might be able to just adjust the hangers a tad. I am going to have to figure out a new trans mount that allows more clearance for 3" pipe. I am not even sure the oval tubing will work with how tight everything is. I also need to raise the car a tad, scraped the oil pan a few times.

You can also see oil on the muffler from the transmission leak. Tried to find where it was coming from again yesterday. It's coming from the passenger side, but up far enough I can't see where.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #1043
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooly35 View Post
This could be very true. I continually hear noise in the valvetrain with the PRC heads. So much that I took the valve covers off to check if any rocker arms had play in them (they didn't). Must be a common thing.
Funny I randomly read this. I also have PRC heads, and the valvetrain noise sometimes scares me to death, specially when the car is fully warmed up. Oil pressure is always on point, I have a Melling high volume pump, but the valvetrain sounds always give me second thoughts.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (09-19-2018), wooly35 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 12:31 PM   #1044
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Funny I randomly read this. I also have PRC heads, and the valvetrain noise sometimes scares me to death, specially when the car is fully warmed up. Oil pressure is always on point, I have a Melling high volume pump, but the valvetrain sounds always give me second thoughts.
You know, mine (same motor as Dustin) used to be loud and I also was uncomfortable with the noise but it has since quieted down...I used the “drive it like I stole it” method to break it in.
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ILLSMOQ For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #1045
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSMOQ View Post
You know, mine used to be loud and I also was uncomfortable with the noise but have since quieted down.
Maybe it'll quiet down when I am able to rip it HARD.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #1046
DustinS

Tuning scheduled for Saturday.

I have a lot to accomplish before then. I need to finish my exhaust, weld in my wideband 02 bung and wire that up, finish my fenders, install new rear rotors, and possibly do an oil change and transmission fluid change.

Hoping my wideband sensor is still okay. It's been tucked away since the header swap, but I left it in the engine bay. Hopefully water didn't reach where it was. Wasn't powered on, so hopefully that will help.

Fender was cut to get rid of a dent that appeared after accidentally forgetting about and running over a wheel chock. Should look a little better with the side skirts attached.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #1047
DustinS

Exhaust is somewhat finished up, pictures to come when I get it finalized.

I also ran into some interesting information. People have come to me asking about no start issues and I had no answer as I had no problems. Come to find out there are ECU grounds that needs to be done, and I didn't ground them. No idea why I never had to do it, but I am going to try and ground them and see what happens.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitsnaugle View Post
ECM Wiring Notes:
Some rather important ECM / ECU pin outs below:

When you're no longer using the factory loom. You need to reconnect three grounds to the ECM, highlighted in light blue below. (I did NOT note actual wire colors). Without these you will have no start, or fuel pressure.

For Canbus integration its A33 18/19 (highlighted in yellow).

ECM Power at key, it SHOULD be A34--06
Start should be A35--26 (highlighted in red). I have not personally tested this one yet.

Hmm. I never reconnected these grounds and car is running fine. Wonder why I haven't had an issue and it seems a lot of other people have. Did you add a pins and wire to ground it? or just cut and add to ground?

These grounds are Black/Red - Black/White - Black/Yellow and connect to AC1 plug (engine harness plug in engine bay) and ground at the injector harness. I know for a fact I haven't grounded these as I cut them short this last rebuild and used the wire for extending another part of my harness. Going to try grounding these and figure out what happens. Maybe the cause of my CEL?
Old 10-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #1048
wutsaiu

Drives: 2015 Raven V8
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Very interesting. My subaru ECU is removed and I did not ground anything. Car has been running since 2015. I guess this is specific to the way you wired everything. I took a very standalone route.
wutsaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #1049
DustinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutsaiu View Post
Very interesting. My subaru ECU is removed and I did not ground anything. Car has been running since 2015. I guess this is specific to the way you wired everything. I took a very standalone route.
That is why I am confused. I have had multiple people complain of no start conditions and the fix was grounding wires. These wires seem to be the fix, but I never grounded them and never had an issue. I didn't do anything specific.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #1050
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutsaiu View Post
Those grounds go to the ECU... if you've bypassed the ECU, they wouldnt be needed.
I was able to eliminate one entire connector from the ECU, got side tracked trying to kill a FAST fuel rail leak before I got much further.
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote