follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #99
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,152 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateatsrabbits View Post
I traded my 2010 golf for the FR-S. It is basically the same as a gti except for the motor, I had a 2.5L I5 5speedMT. And compared to the FR-S the golf is a torque monster. Like when I floored the golf at 2000 rpm It would rip up to redline quickley. The golf interior, comfort, and noise level was in another class way above the FR-S, just like the FR-S is in another class On the handling and fun to drive factor. In the words of jermey clarkson The GTI is the most practical car you can buy, I cant wait to see what he has to say about the 86.
The thing I hated most about the golf is you cant turn off the VSC, so riping e-barkes in the snow was a no go. Some day when I have enough money to own both, Ill get another one, for now Ill make due with THe FR-S

While I agree with the comfort and overall design and materials of the interior, unfortunately I had a GTI that rattled like no other and know quite a few other people with the same issue. I know its hit or miss, but sometimes I really question what everyone is talking about in terms of the interior quality of the golf. Part of the reason I got rid of mine.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #100
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I wish they brought the Scirocco to North America. The GTI is probably the most practical sporty car around, but as a front wheel drive platform it is somewhat limited in its potential (modded or otherwise) vs the twins.
I will change my mind when INdy and F1 go front drive
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #101
BMWDavid

Drives: '89 911, '06 GTI, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I still have my '06 GTI. It has 95,000 trouble free miles on it, no rattles and still feels and drives like new. Very quiet and refined compared to my BRZ.

The torque is something that really sets this car apart from others. I will be getting a MKVII GTI when they come out. I would consider the new ST but I really like and want to stay with the DSG trans that I have.

That said I do like my BRZ but I would not have it as my only car. I'd have to go with a GTI if that was the case.

My BRZ is my alternative to a motorcycle as I've really cut back on riding due to health issues. I take it out just for fun runs on the back roads much the same way I use my Carrera.
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited 6MT-gone but not forgotten
2014 Nissan Murano SV
BMWDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #102
elbles

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I have a 2010 GTI (manual) coming off lease in a few months, and was seriously considering one of the Toyobaru twins as its replacement.

A lot of my thoughts echo others posted here. My GTI is stock, and in straights, it feels much quicker than the BRZ/FR-S, while the magazines have it about 1/2 second quicker to 60 (substantial, but the subjective gap feels wider, due in no small part to the difference in torque... the difference in weight doesn't cover that).

In corners, it's not even close. The GTI's weight distribution is all wrong, and the height of it makes it even worse. The BRZ I drove put the GTI to shame. Great balance, great feel... it really is the modern day 240SX (I had one as my first car), with a far better engine to boot.

The GTI is my DD, and that's the reason why the BRZ is not my next car. It's a lot more fun when you find the right corner, but it's nowhere near as nice as the GTI is inside, doesn't have as nice a stereo, etc.

For a weekend/track car, it's no contest. For me, as a DD, it's not a contest either, despite my general dislike of FWD. The GTI was That Good(TM) for me to overlook its FWD shortcomings (at the time). The BRZ is That Good(TM), but for me, I can't overlook its shortcomings this time around.
elbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #103
Sco2355

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I traded in my 2011 MK6 GTI for my FR-S. I originally wanted the FR-S when I first saw concepts while I was deployed. The GTI was my second choice, so when the FR-S wasn't released when I came home I picked up the GTI.

They are both amazing cars in their own right, but not a good comparison. The GTI is all electronic and you don't "feel" the road, transmission, gear changes, etc. like you do in the FR-S. The GTI does come with more amenities for the price and much more storage room, but that's because it's a sporty hatchback.

The FR-S just has that fun factor. The power delivery is drastically different in the 2.0L boxer motor compared to the 2.0T in the GTI, but the FR-S makes up for that in other ways. The handling and feeling you get turning into a corner gives you that rush as the car just grips around the curve. It's also a completely different feeling when you turn the traction control off and start to let the rear end get loose.

Either way you look at it, both cars are great cars in their own right, I prefer my FR-S. That's my .02.

My GTI

My FR-S
Sco2355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #104
iwantafrs

Drives: GTI
Living in New York City, do you think an automatic GTI or BRZ is better? For the BRZ, I'm worried about slip and slides from the snow we get in the Winter. I know we have to change the tires but thats such a hassle doing it twice a year. And with the snow tires, its still not very safe, IMO.
iwantafrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #105
BB18

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantafrs View Post
Living in New York City, do you think an automatic GTI or BRZ is better? For the BRZ, I'm worried about slip and slides from the snow we get in the Winter. I know we have to change the tires but thats such a hassle doing it twice a year. And with the snow tires, its still not very safe, IMO.
I live in Toronto...

As long as you get appropriate winter tires and drive cautiously you should be fine. I myself have Michelin X-Ice 3s, and equipped my trunk with a bit of weight.

I've driven on everything from slush, to ice and foot deep snow.

I also lead myself to believe that NYC snow crews are probably better than the crew we have up here (as any city probably has a better winter operations plan than us).

I love my BRZ.
BB18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #106
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
WTF is with all these necros? lol This thread had 2 years of no activity until today :P

Also, changing tires twice a year is a hassle? You're supposed to rotate every 5 grand or so depending on your driving anyway.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #107
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you're worried about sliding in a FRS you should probably buy a VW.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #108
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,318 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
If one is driving mainly in a large city I don't think the triplets are the best choice. I much prefer my mum's Yaris than my car when driving in Sydney. Smaller, better visibility out the back 3/4, park anywhere. Would prefer a Polo over a Golf.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
ajaxthebetter (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #109
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
WTF is with all these necros? lol This thread had 2 years of no activity until today :P

Also, changing tires twice a year is a hassle? You're supposed to rotate every 5 grand or so depending on your driving anyway.
Hey, at least he didn't start "How are these cars in the snow?" thread #2,894.
tahdizzle (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #110
Tcoat

Quote:
Proper snows and these are every bit as good as any other car in the snow.
CatDaddysBBQ (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #111
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Went from a mildly modified MKV (06) to my FR-S. It was a terrific car, and I'll always miss it a bit.

It was lovely as a DD, much faster than the Triplets, did slightly better MPG, and did the grocery/road trip duty much better...

But there is no comparison. The handling, responsiveness, throttle response, balance and everything else associated with driving leaves the VW in the dust. The spec sheets favor the Dub, but this comparison is why you should never judge by the spec sheet.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
akyp (08-10-2015), Hoahao (08-10-2015), Tcoat (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #112
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddysBBQ View Post
Went from a mildly modified MKV (06) to my FR-S. It was a terrific car, and I'll always miss it a bit.

It was lovely as a DD, much faster than the Triplets, did slightly better MPG, and did the grocery/road trip duty much better...

But there is no comparison. The handling, responsiveness, throttle response, balance and everything else associated with driving leaves the VW in the dust. The spec sheets favor the Dub, but this comparison is why you should never judge by the spec sheet.
Ya, if everybody just went by the spec sheets there would be about 80,000 of the Twins sitting on dealer lots unsold.
GT86_PRAGUE (08-11-2015)

Tags
gti