follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Sugi

Drives: 2015 FR-S - Halo
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Dealer installed license plate incorrectly! Now what?

Hey guys,

So I purchased my FRS brand-new from the Livermore California dealership. After owning the car for about one week, I decided to take the black bracket off of the front bumper and noticed that they installed the bracket incorrectly. They installed additional screws drilling into the painted part of the bumper. After discovering this I contacted the dealership right away. The dealership stated that they were instructed by Toyota to install the front license plate this way. At this point I have contacted Scion to try and get someone there to help me. Anyone with any ideas on how I can get this resolved?
Sugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What you want to happen:

Toyota provides you a new bumper cover free of charge that looks like nothing was ever wrong.

What will actually happen:

That is the way the car is designed to comply with the law. Tough noogies. Buy some little plastic plugs to cover the hole, pick up a paint pen to color match them to the rest of the car. This is what google turned up first, I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives out there.

http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...gory&path=1_11

Edit: You can whine and moan and may get some success but I haven't had great experiences with dealerships around here and Toyota doesn't do much to force them to make customers happy, sorry if my post sounded snarky, best of luck.

Last edited by strat61caster; 01-06-2015 at 01:52 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Sugi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
What you want to happen:

Toyota provides you a new bumper cover free of charge that looks like nothing was ever wrong.

What will actually happen:

That is the way the car is designed to comply with the law. Tough noogies. Buy some little plastic plugs to cover the hole, pick up a paint pen to color match them to the rest of the car. This is what google turned up first, I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives out there.

http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...gory&path=1_11
This is true. I guess I feel that because they put the bracket on incorrectly, that they are responsible to fix it. If I found the issue before the paperwork was signed, they would have fixed it. So to keep the customer satisfaction, they should acknowledge there mistake.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I got the dealer to repaint my bumper, I don't know how similar your situation is.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70900

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
This is technically how the dealer is told to install these, or at least somewhere close to that. Is this what yours looks like?

Try to complain if that's what they did, but not sure you're guaranteed any replacements. Painting the plugs sounds like a decent alternative if they won't cover a new bumper.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Sugi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
This is technically how the dealer is told to install these, or at least somewhere close to that. Is this what yours looks like?

Try to complain if that's what they did, but not sure you're guaranteed any replacements. Painting the plugs sounds like a decent alternative if they won't cover a new bumper.
Not to that extent, but yes
Old 01-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

That is terrible, very glad my salesman, @jamies31 asked me if I wanted to mount it to the bumper or if I was going to get a tow hook mount.

Although that's probably the difference between having a salesman who's a salesman and a salesman who is also an enthusiast that drives the car he sells
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bergen23 For This Useful Post:
jamies31 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #8
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The peoples republic of California requires a front plate. Your dealer installed the front plate holder as instructed by manufacturer.

Was the plate holder on there when you bought it or did they install it after you agreed to the purchase?

Did you specifically say "don't install the front plate holder"?

I dunno man seems an uphill battle to me.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
kodyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
That is terrible, very glad my salesman, @jamies31 asked me if I wanted to mount it to the bumper or if I was going to get a tow hook mount.

Although that's probably the difference between having a salesman who's a salesman and a salesman who is also an enthusiast that drives the car he sells
Yeah, this isn't my car. I got lucky and was in a rush so I just grabbed the plates from the dealer and declined having them do the install. If they had done the install, I'm sure it would have ended badly. I ended up just making my own bracket in the end:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55552
Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yeah, this isn't my car. I got lucky and was in a rush so I just grabbed the plates from the dealer and declined having them do the install. If they had done the install, I'm sure it would have ended badly. I ended up just making my own bracket in the end:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55552
You know your radiator and A/C unit need that area open to keep cool. Hopefully your engine doesn't overheat.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #11
kodyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
You know your radiator and A/C unit need that area open to keep cool. Hopefully your engine doesn't overheat.
My guess is that it disturbs flow, but that the actual volumetric flow through the unit is more or less the same. As flow impacts the plate, it going to essentially funnel around and down past the plate. It's been like this for 20K miles without an issue.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
rburrow87

Drives: (SOLD) '13 BRZ Ltd SSM / '91 Miata
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
My guess is that it disturbs flow, but that the actual volumetric flow through the unit is more or less the same. As flow impacts the plate, it going to essentially funnel around and down past the plate. It's been like this for 20K miles without an issue.
I agree. If just part of the license plate blocking a small amount of opening is causing overheating and the A/C to not work well with street driving, then you have some serious problems.
rburrow87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rburrow87 For This Useful Post:
kodyo (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If I had to put my plate on I'd do it like @kodyo the plate being located low and impacting flow would only be a problem in the two harshest conditions, bumper to bumper traffic in >100 degree temperatures and tracking.

The plate can be removed for tracking and after ~2 years I have never been hassled for not having a front plate. Modern cars are built with enough margin that I wouldn't worry about the loss of the ~50 square inches of inlet flow out of the 400+, you have a coolant temperature gauge for a reason, use it.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #14
Enders FRS

Drives: FRS MT SE 10 edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post

No. It will cause more turbulence, and will degrade the efficiency of the stock set up slightly. But would not cause failure.

But because I'm not an Aerospace Engineer, I ran it past my fiancé, who is one semester shy of completing her coursework on her doctorate in computational fluid dynamics, I asked her. She said its fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Enders FRS is offline   Reply With Quote