follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
jruhi4

Drives: Mazda MX5 Miata/Lexus IS350 FSport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Forester factor: an unexpected reason for limited BRZ / FR-S / 86 production

Over the years, I've made it a point to chat with Subaru of America's National Manager of Product Communications Dominick Infante whenever he and I coincide at an auto show press conference. This year in New York, he revealed an unexpected and surprising bit of information: the common belief that the entire Gunma Main Plant is building nothing but BRZs and its Toyota and Scion-badged siblings is not really true. It seems that Subaru's other carmaking plant, the Gunma Yajima facility, can't meet all the worldwide demand for the Subaru Forester. Thus, some Foresters are built at a line at Gunma Main. Further, some Impreza assembly is also earmarked for Gunma Main around March 2013.

All this could, theoretically, crimp FR-S / BRZ production. I delve further on the issue, along with possible ramifications and solutions in this piece I wrote for Kaizen Factor:

http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/20...ty-is-limited/
jruhi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
That's been well known for awhile now. The Twins are filling excess production left over after Forester production.

Someone was doing the math recently on how much production was available at Gunma and one of the numbers included Forester production. I think it was in the thread about the 100k production goal.

Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
After the Evo tearup they won't have to worry about their production limits anymore..
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
DEC1

Drives: '10 Infiniti G37 (pre-ordered BRZ)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
After the Evo tearup they won't have to worry about their production limits anymore..
LOL...they are clearly in the minority compared to all the other reviews out there. As many have already said, it will be up to us, the individual buyers...who btw, will most likely not be driving on the track or running this car at the limits on the way to work.
I'm still excited for my first drive and ultimately buying this car.
DEC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
yeabude

Drives: 94 300ZXTT,08TL typeS,93RX7TT, BRZ
Dude no one in their right mind get compare the sheer good looks of the BRZ to the 370 or miata... The BRZ looks like a sports car where as the others don't even come close.
yeabude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
jruhi4

Drives: Mazda MX5 Miata/Lexus IS350 FSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
That's been well known for awhile now. The Twins are filling excess production left over after Forester production.

Someone was doing the math recently on how much production was available at Gunma and one of the numbers included Forester production. I think it was in the thread about the 100k production goal.
No, it wasn't in that thread. That one, in fact, was one of the linked sources in my Kaizen Factor article. I went over that thread and not a word about Forester in there.

I'd really love it if you or another member of the FT86Club.com community would recall what the thread was. I just did a "Forester" search on here, and came up with 148 results, none of which stands out as a strong candidate, judging by the titles alone.

I will admit that my article is crying out for a sequel. A member of the NASIOC forums correctly pointed out that the Gunma Main Plant is about 25% larger than Gunma Yajima, which does just fine building Exiga, Impreza, Forester and Legacys (the latter for outside North America). The plant size numbers were staring me in the face in the Fuji Heavy Industries official website (on a page also linked to the Kaizen Factor story) but I didn't pay attention to them or think to factor them into the story.

I'm also awaiting possible reactions or comments from Subaru...
jruhi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Shoot, I thought it was that one so now I don't know where I saw it. @.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Hype just to get you to pay over MSRP. There will be plenty of these cars. Its not like they were ever going to sell 50k to 100k units. 6k to 15k units of the BRZ is probably enough.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote