follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

View Poll Results: Motul gear 300 or Redline MT90 for transmission & Differential?
Motul gear 300 192 71.64%
Redline MT90 76 28.36%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #29
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
on further thoughts, would fitting Whiteline rear subframe bush inserts transfer more diff vibration?

i changed oil and installed the bush inserts at the same time. does that make the diff feel more rough while standing start and turning at the same time? once the car rolls over at speed (2nd gear +) i don't really feel any harshness.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #30
bluesubie

Drives: 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
We carry Redline products but over the years it has had very variable quality control. I since learned that RL doesn't produce their oils but re-brand other ones.

We also have used the Amsoil and love their gear and motor oils as well. You can't go wrong with either Motul or Amsoil in our book.
Mike,
Like most oil companies, Red Line is an oil blender. They purchase base stocks from one company and additives from another company. Amsoil even uses some ExxonMobil base stocks. There are literally only a handful of base stock suppliers and additive suppliers in the world.

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluesubie For This Useful Post:
airmanmurphy02 (06-21-2015), atomicalex (07-11-2019)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #31
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Mike,
Like most oil companies, Red Line is an oil blender. They purchase base stocks from one company and additives from another company. Amsoil even uses some ExxonMobil base stocks. There are literally only a handful of base stock suppliers and additive suppliers in the world.

-Dennis
right but some cost more than others for a reason
There is a reason motuls ester based stocks cost more
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #32
No Limit Motorsport

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to No Limit Motorsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
"Motul was the first lubricant manufacturer to use the ester technology for the formulation of its 100% synthetic car oils by capitalizing on an innovation first invented for the aviation industry. The vegetable-based esters benefit from lubricating properties, anti-shear quality and exceptional resistance to high temperatures."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motul_%28company%29
No Limit Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #33
bluesubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
I was planning to get some of the new ESTERCore 300V 0W-40 for my Forester and was quoted a price of $38 for a 2L can. Makes the current 300V seem like a bargain.

-Dennis
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #34
SXE10

Drives: Altezza RS200-Z 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
will be picking up some Motul Gear 300 75w90 in an hour and will replace the Redline 75w90NS which was put in last Friday. the roughness hasn't gone away so the car is now in the garage until Motul goes in just to make sure i don't cause any more damage.....
Why did you chose NS over MT-90 or even MT-85 & how exactly is it going to cause any damage?

Have you guys seen the

I've had MT-90 in my Altezza for @ 50K km & it still shifts as smooth as the day I put it in. Seems to me like this thread is turning into Motul vs Redline with lots of hatters, hearsay & a surprising lack of knowledge about the oil industry & only a few people talking any sense. But I guess that sums up most car forums
SXE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #35
Nardi330

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXE10 View Post
Why did you chose NS over MT-90 or even MT-85 & how exactly is it going to cause any damage?
because MT-90 and MT-85 are GL4 oil. for the diff Toyota/Scion/Subaru specified GL5 oil. i chose 75w90NS because our LSD is a torsen and doesn't need fiction modifier that are in 75w80 and 75w90.

I can't determine the NS is causing any damage but prior to the oil change (it had the oil from factory), the LSD was smooth all the time. now there is very noticible gear noise with slight vibration while turning and standing start at the same time. i don't know if this is normal or not but to be on the safe side i'd prefer my diff to be smooth like it was prior to the oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXE10 View Post
Have you guys seen the

I've had MT-90 in my Altezza for @ 50K km & it still shifts as smooth as the day I put it in. Seems to me like this thread is turning into Motul vs Redline with lots of hatters, hearsay & a surprising lack of knowledge about the oil industry & only a few people talking any sense. But I guess that sums up most car forums
i also replaced stock gearbox oil with Redline MT-90 and it is much better than before and i gave credit to it. in no way am i bashing Redline over Motul but maybe i chose the wrong diff oil and should used the redline 75w90 with the fiction modifier in the first place. but i'm not going to take chance now as many have reported good result with Motul Gear 300 75w90 so that is what i'm going to use. i will report if the diff is smooth again once the redline is replaced.

if you have good knowledge about oil and stuff as you implied, maybe you can supply us with factual information to show that Redline 75w90NS is or isn't the correct oil for our LSD? i would defintely love to learn more. or maybe you can tell me why replacing stock diff oil with Redline 75w90NS caused the noise and vibration so that i know what's going on. at the moment, i can only go by trail and error.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #36
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:
Mike,

-Dennis
Agreed, however the info I had was that RL is purely a marketer, not even a mixer of the fluids, so sometimes you get excellent results, other times not as good. You even get different colors of the fluid depending which batch it came from apparently.

Personally I love the RL High Temp ATF over anything else out there for AT cars and swear by it.

-Mike Paisan

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #37
AZP Installs

Quote:
I was planning to get some of the new ESTERCore 300V 0W-40 for my Forester and was quoted a price of $38 for a 2L can. Makes the current 300V seem like a bargain.

-Dennis
Dennis,

Stop by or shoot me an e-mail since we are a Motul Dealer I can get it for you and probably at a very reasonable price.

-Mike Paisan

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
bluesubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZP Installs View Post
Dennis,

Stop by or shoot me an e-mail since we are a Motul Dealer I can get it for you and probably at a very reasonable price.

-Mike Paisan

Maybe next time. I ordered some Red Line from a Subaru dealer with my Subaru bucks. My total out of pocket on 6 quarts of Red Line and six oil filters is $6.00.

I'll probably visit you next for some brake pads and we can discuss Motul vs. Red Line in the BRZ.

-Dennis
Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #39
AZP Installs

Quote:

Maybe next time. I ordered some Red Line from a Subaru dealer with my Subaru bucks. My total out of pocket on 6 quarts of Red Line and six oil filters is $6.00.

I'll probably visit you next for some brake pads and we can discuss Motul vs. Red Line in the BRZ.

-Dennis
You and your subie bucks!

I can't beat that price.

-Mike Paisan

Old 11-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #40
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
because MT-90 and MT-85 are GL4 oil. for the diff Toyota/Scion/Subaru specified GL5 oil. i chose 75w90NS because our LSD is a torsen and doesn't need fiction modifier that are in 75w80 and 75w90.

I can't determine the NS is causing any damage but prior to the oil change (it had the oil from factory), the LSD was smooth all the time. now there is very noticible gear noise with slight vibration while turning and standing start at the same time. i don't know if this is normal or not but to be on the safe side i'd prefer my diff to be smooth like it was prior to the oil change.

i also replaced stock gearbox oil with Redline MT-90 and it is much better than before and i gave credit to it. in no way am i bashing Redline over Motul but maybe i chose the wrong diff oil and should used the redline 75w90 with the fiction modifier in the first place. but i'm not going to take chance now as many have reported good result with Motul Gear 300 75w90 so that is what i'm going to use. i will report if the diff is smooth again once the redline is replaced.

if you have good knowledge about oil and stuff as you implied, maybe you can supply us with factual information to show that Redline 75w90NS is or isn't the correct oil for our LSD? i would defintely love to learn more. or maybe you can tell me why replacing stock diff oil with Redline 75w90NS caused the noise and vibration so that i know what's going on. at the moment, i can only go by trail and error.
I'm putting Motul in mine on the weekend (Gearbox and Diff), and of course have the same add-ons as you do (Cusco and Perrin). Will let you know the results. I've seen one thread stating that the Perrin introduced some harshness into the driveline but that may or may not have been in conjunction with the Whiteline bushing.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #41
Nardi330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman View Post

I'm putting Motul in mine on the weekend (Gearbox and Diff), and of course have the same add-ons as you do (Cusco and Perrin). Will let you know the results. I've seen one thread stating that the Perrin introduced some harshness into the driveline but that may or may not have been in conjunction with the Whiteline bushing.
i haven't installed the Cusco mount insert etc (waiting to do that together with the catback, can't be bothered pulling out the same things twice). only done the WL rear subframe bush inserts.

I asked another member who have the subframe inserts installed before changing diff oil (Motul Gear 300). he said there was no noticible noise and vibration from the diff after inserts are done. Once Motul was put into the diff, it was as smooth as stock if not smoother.

i will replace the redline with motul tomorrow. finger crossed my diff is smooth again. if you don't mind, please let me know how you go, i will do the same.

thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #42
Nardi330

got the redline 75w90NS out of the diff and put in Motul Gear 300 75w90 and i must say the diff is much smoother now. i can still feel the diff engaging (maybe due to the subframe inserts) but no way as rough and as loud as redline. i guess 75w90NS is not for our factory diff.