follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #43
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86meMR2 View Post
A better car than the FT86 in what aspect? i drove a base 228I and compared to my GT86 the only thing i liked was the extra torque.
More torque and acceleration, more luxury, quieter, more solidly put together, better ride, larger backseat, more mainstream image, 1000x better dealers. Really only four dings for the car I drove: crappy tires, numb steering, higher running costs, and in the long term, crappy reliability. Course what I wanted when I traded in the 550i for the FR-S was better reliability, more connection to the road, and lower running costs. I got all three. The only reliability issues I've had are dealer-caused issues.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Re~Mix (12-02-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #44
perryair
junior mafia

Drives: ‘20 sti limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
Matter of perspective. While the throws are smooth, they are long and it lacks that 'click-click' type feel you get in an Toyota/Honda gearbox. The longer throws sometimes lend themselves to misshifts (i.e. going 2nd to 5th instead of 3rd).

Clutch pedal felt great to me, but I've only had the pleasure of driving manual in a few BMWs (M3, Z4M, 335i, 2 series) and a handful of other cars. Definitely upstages the FR-S, and you have to remember I am comparing the two cars directly...
i actually have the 228 and brz in my cross shop list too. the payments for a 6 yr loan (no comments from the gallery..) and 3 year lease payments are actually fairly similar. at least for a 228 only optioned lightly with the m sport package.

I test drove both cars and I will say that I liked the shift action in the brz better than the 228. my last manual was a 95 mustang gt with steeda shifter and it felt much closer to that. the clutch actually felt pretty high on the engagement point on the 228 to me.

not just for the shifting but on a pure driving experience, I also enjoyed the brz immensely. it's driving position feels perfect and the small size of the car makes it feel extremely connected to the road. I really can't remember ever driving another car that made me feel as directly wired into the inputs and the road, including a Miata that I've driven many miles over windy California roads. I also think it's power is perfectly fine and didn't think it felt much slower than the mustang gt that I used to drive, though the power delivery sure happens much higher up the powerband.

however, even though the driving experience seems pretty perfect to me, some small things really dissuade me from thinking about it when car buying time comes around. I'm fully and completely into adulthood. I can definitely live without a lot of luxuries in a car but I think about things like the lack of a coat hanger, lack of ability of the passenger seat to lock forward or to raise height so that backseat passengers don't have their feet squished under the front seat leaving me wondering how long I would be able to live long term with the car.

the beemer seems like a decent compromise for a car that's traditionally faster, just larger enough to make it family friendly and good looking and performing enough bone stock for me to always think it looks good and excites me on the road. although maybe I'll still just say f it and go with the fun over the TONS of impracticality.
Re~Mix (01-03-2015)
Old 12-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #45
Jond63

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 2013
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryair View Post
the beemer seems like a decent compromise
Whichever choice you make, but especially if you get the BMW...

bimmer = BMW automobile
beemer = BMW motorcycle

Yes, it matters. Because.
Jond63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jond63 For This Useful Post:
Basket Case (01-04-2015)
Old 12-31-2014, 06:39 PM   #46
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jond63 View Post
Whichever choice you make, but especially if you get the BMW...

bimmer = BMW automobile
beemer = BMW motorcycle

Yes, it matters. Because.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:12 AM   #47
Jond63

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 2013
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Oh snap! I'm convinced!
Jond63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jond63 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (01-04-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #48
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

However, even though the driving experience seems pretty perfect to me, some small things really dissuade me from thinking about it when car buying time comes around.
You hit the nail on the head. A few small items make a world of difference in usability and comfort. That being said, I just completed a 1200 mile roadtrip in the FR-S and it was enjoyable!
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #49
perryair
junior mafia

Drives: ‘20 sti limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
You hit the nail on the head. A few small items make a world of difference in usability and comfort. That being said, I just completed a 1200 mile roadtrip in the FR-S and it was enjoyable!
the one thing id love your honest opinion on is that I have a 3 year old that sits in a forward facing car seat. I'm perfectly aware and willing to deal with the stupidity of a kid in a 2 seater and that it could be cramped but how livable do you think it would be?

I'm okay with knowing that as she grows up its probably going to ever comfortably be a 2 person car, whether 2 adults or me and kid with the front seat pulled up. but in a pinch, could you take a 3 person trip?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #50
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
the one thing id love your honest opinion on is that I have a 3 year old that sits in a forward facing car seat. I'm perfectly aware and willing to deal with the stupidity of a kid in a 2 seater and that it could be cramped but how livable do you think it would be?

I'm okay with knowing that as she grows up its probably going to ever comfortably be a 2 person car, whether 2 adults or me and kid with the front seat pulled up. but in a pinch, could you take a 3 person trip?
We have taken 4+ hour trips in my FRS with three people. My daughter (5 foot 3) sits in the back behind my wife. The wife's seat is almost all the way up so she isn't that comfortable, but it is doable.

I'd say that until your kid gets past 5-feet tall, you are probably fine.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
Re~Mix (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 12:34 AM   #51
Hydaral

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT86 Pearl White
Here in Australia, it's no contest when it comes to the price: $34k vs $65k.
Hydaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #52
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have made a few 3-4 person trips in the FR-S, all under an hour without problems. It's not the greatest and the 228i has a lot more leg and head room back there.

If you do any spirited canyon driving or tracking, the FR-S is the car to get. 228i is fun on sloping roads and straight line highway pulls, but its seating position and overall feel are a bit more sedan and a bit less racecar.
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #53
slade7588

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I did this comparison too. I am just not a great beemer fan myself and think the FRS/BRZ is more my speed
slade7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slade7588 For This Useful Post:
Re~Mix (01-23-2015)