follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #183
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
What about you @keen as? You have the separate throttle switches. Can you try one with the throttle calibrated, one with the full throttle manually changed to 1023, and one with the full throttle calibration manually dropped by about 15 from whatever number it calibrates to, (for example, mine calibrates to 808 full throttle, so I would drop it to 793, so it never reads full throttle). That would prove if there is a hidden default voltage drop for exceeding full throttle.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:37 AM   #184
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
What about you @keen as? You have the separate throttle switches. Can you try one with the throttle calibrated, one with the full throttle manually changed to 1023, and one with the full throttle calibration manually dropped by about 15 from whatever number it calibrates to, (for example, mine calibrates to 808 full throttle, so I would drop it to 793, so it never reads full throttle). That would prove if there is a hidden default voltage drop for exceeding full throttle.
will do.
hopefully during the next couple of days
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:59 AM   #185
keen as

@KoolBRZ
I had spare time to do some measurements.
I think they may be unreliable. Currently, my Dump pack is out of the car and the batteries are getting tested. While I am able to test the signal voltage, the ESC spins a little while powered only by the 12V power suppy. I am unable to test drive to log full boost. I need to test drive because I found an unexpected result (The second result). The procede map I loaded (SOJHINNrev2) that I thought had full boost, did not have full signal voltage. Unfortunately, at the time I drove it and had full boost, I did not measure the voltage signal. I have loaded other maps since. I need to test drive to confirm what boost it produced with the current loaded map.

The measurements were done while the car engine was off. To ensure a full signal, I had the laptop connected to the Procede and depressed the accelerator fully. I entered 100 (full boost) in the cell that corresponded. Yes, the rpm was zero. I don't know if zero rpm effects the procede signal.

Measured voltage signal to ESC control box.
5.21V --- Full throttle switch (not using procede)
4.05V --- SOJHINNrev2 uncalibrated (default) throttle input 0-1023
4.03V --- SOJHINNrev2 calibrated throttle input 156-833
3.94V --- SOJHINNrev2 manually entered throttle input 156-1023
3.96V --- SOJHINNrev2 manually entered throttle input 156-818

As I said, I need to test drive to test the difference in boost between the throttle switch and procede map. I can do this on the fly by flicking a switch and it clearly shows any difference in maximum boost.
Also, while the car was stationary, it was very awkward to do these measurements with a voltmeter in the footwell of the car, sharing the space with a laptop. I don't want to wire up a method to measure signal voltage while driving

Hopefully next week I will have the dump pack sorted and may be motivated to try further...
The Following User Says Thank You to keen as For This Useful Post:
KoolBRZ (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #186
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen as View Post
@KoolBRZ
I think they may be unreliable. Currently, my Dump pack is out of the car and the batteries are getting tested. While I am able to test the signal voltage, the ESC spins a little while powered only by the 12V power suppy. I am unable to test drive to log full boost. I need to test drive because I found an unexpected result (The second result). The procede map I loaded (SOJHINNrev2) that I thought had full boost, did not have full signal voltage. Unfortunately, at the time I drove it and had full boost, I did not measure the voltage signal. I have loaded other maps since. I need to test drive to confirm what boost it produced with the current loaded map.

The measurements were done while the car engine was off. To ensure a full signal, I had the laptop connected to the Procede and depressed the accelerator fully. I entered 100 (full boost) in the cell that corresponded. Yes, the rpm was zero. I don't know if zero rpm effects the procede signal.

As I said, I need to test drive to test the difference in boost between the throttle switch and procede map. I can do this on the fly by flicking a switch and it clearly shows any difference in maximum boost.
Also, while the car was stationary, it was very awkward to do these measurements with a voltmeter in the footwell of the car, sharing the space with a laptop. I don't want to wire up a method to measure signal voltage while driving

Hopefully next week I will have the dump pack sorted and may be motivated to try further...

Keen if you reinstall the software does the voltage of the procede go back to 5 v?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #187
KoolBRZ

Garage
Thank you Keen

Quote:
@KoolBRZ

That's what I wanted to know. There is obviously some voltage drop within the Procede controller. There may even be an upper limit, but I think is is simply voltage drop.

Sohjinn, by reinstalling software, do you mean reinstalling the throttle map, or reinstalling the Procede software on his laptop? I'm going to dig into the Procede software and see if there is any way to amplify, or raise the voltage limit of the signal output.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #188
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

PROcede ESC User Software!

Quote:
That's what I wanted to know. There is obviously some voltage drop within the Procede controller. There may even be an upper limit, but I think is is simply voltage drop.

Sohjinn, by reinstalling software, do you mean reinstalling the throttle map, or reinstalling the Procede software on his laptop? I'm going to dig into the Procede software and see if there is any way to amplify, or raise the voltage limit of the signal output.

He said before that by reinstalling the software he was able to get full boost again (procede software) which tells me there's a glitch.

If there's a way to manually change the voltage out that would be best.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 06-25-2016, 02:07 PM   #189
KoolBRZ

Garage
Possible compensation setting

@Shiv@Openflash, do you know if this setting for output percentage can be raised to increase the voltage out? It looks like a 28 to 30 percent increase ought to compensate for the voltage difference between using the switch and using the Procede. @keen as, I think the way to test this is to create a special throttle map allowing 100 percent at 0 rpms and full throttle. That would allow a true comparison and make adjusting the percentage of compensation more accurate. The throttle connector should be disconnected from the ESC, and the output voltage should be read from that connector instead. See pic below for the output percentage compensation table.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2016, 07:23 PM   #190
keen as

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Keen if you reinstall the software does the voltage of the procede go back to 5 v?

good point. I need to re-load a fresh copy of procede software to see if that raises the voltage higher. May explain the unexpected result, that I am currently unable to verify with a test drive.

@KoolBRZ Thanks for asking Shiv about software suggestion. Also, I do enter 100 in a cell that corresponds to full throttle at zero rpm.

Last edited by keen as; 06-25-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #191
KoolBRZ

Garage
Quote:
good point. I need to re-load a fresh copy of procede software to see if that raises the voltage higher. May explain the unexpected result, that I am currently unable to verify with a test drive.

@KoolBRZ Thanks for asking Shiv about software suggestion. Also, I do enter 100 in a cell that corresponds to full throttle at zero rpm.
It has to be the last two columns of cells, otherwise it ramps up from the previous column and it isn't 100% from 90 to 100% throttle. You want it to ramp up from 80 to 90% throttle, then it will truly be 100% between 90 and 100 % throttle. Like I showed in the pic above.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:28 PM   #192
keen as

Quote:
It has to be the last two columns of cells, otherwise it ramps up from the previous column and it isn't 100% from 90 to 100% throttle. You want it to ramp up from 80 to 90% throttle, then it will truly be 100% between 90 and 100 % throttle. Like I showed in the pic above.
Tested. YES!!! That's it, thanks KoolBRZ!!!

When I had 100 in a single cell, The max signal voltage was 4.05V. If I had 100 in 2 adjacent cells, then max signal voltage was 4.95V.

After further experimentation, only 2 adjacent cells need to be 100. And the only combination that gave full voltage signal is when the active throttle cell is 100 and the next cell TO THE RIGHT is 100 (this is opposite to the ramp up you described above. I dunno why!@?!!). Hence a Non calibrated throttle map has apparently redundant cells to the right that the active throttle does not reach. These apparently redundant cells have 100 in them. They are TO THE RIGHT of the active full throttle cell. Hence the active throttle cell gives full signal voltage. Other combinations of 100 in either multiple or single cells surrounding the active throttle cell give a voltage signal of 4.05V.

I started to fiddle with manual throttle calibration values to get the active full throttle to the 90 column, leaving the 100 column redundant and unreachable by the active throttle. I gave up due to time contraints.

In my case, the uncalibrated throttle populates the cells from 0 to 80. I am now happy to make my procede map within these confines.

Also @Sojhinn, deleting and redownloading Procede software and your original file did not fix anything.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:30 PM   #193
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Tested. YES!!! That's it, thanks KoolBRZ!!!

When I had 100 in a single cell, The max signal voltage was 4.05V. If I had 100 in 2 adjacent cells, then max signal voltage was 4.95V.

After further experimentation, only 2 adjacent cells need to be 100. And the only combination that gave full voltage signal is when the active throttle cell is 100 and the next cell TO THE RIGHT is 100 (this is opposite to the ramp up you described above. I dunno why!@?!!). Hence a Non calibrated throttle map has apparently redundant cells to the right that the active throttle does not reach. These apparently redundant cells have 100 in them. They are TO THE RIGHT of the active full throttle cell. Hence the active throttle cell gives full signal voltage. Other combinations of 100 in either multiple or single cells surrounding the active throttle cell give a voltage signal of 4.05V.

I started to fiddle with manual throttle calibration values to get the active full throttle to the 90 column, leaving the 100 column redundant and unreachable by the active throttle. I gave up due to time contraints.

In my case, the uncalibrated throttle populates the cells from 0 to 80. I am now happy to make my procede map within these confines.

Wait I'm confused can you explain this with pictures. I feel slow.

Installed Mods:
Old 06-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #194
keen as

@Sojhinn

with a pic.
with engine off, hence zero rpm, my uncalibrated throttle, goes to the 80 column at full throttle. This cell has 100. The next cell to the right has 100. This enables full voltage signal of 4.95V.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #195
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

PROcede ESC User Software!

So basically even after recalibrating the throttle it never actually reads the last column

Installed Mods:
Old 06-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #196
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
@Sojhinn

with a pic.
with engine off, hence zero rpm, my uncalibrated throttle, goes to the 80 column at full throttle. This cell has 100. The next cell to the right has 100. This enables full voltage signal of 4.95V.

Then lets take a page out of Kools book and remake the map so that it goes up to only "80%" but have more columns for adjustment up to that point.

Once I get my system back ill make sure that I'll remap the procede map for you and I.

Installed Mods: