follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
djdrugga24

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just want yall opinion on headlights and tailights

I own a stock Asphalt FR-S. I want to install foglights, headlights and tailights for my car. Foglights, the decision is between:
iJDMTOY Direct Clip-on Xenon White High Power LED Daytime Running Lights DRL Lamps
or
iJDMTOY JDM FT86 Style Complete Fog Light Kit with Bezel Cover, Wiring, Switch
or
OEM foglights.

Since I live in NYC, i dont want to take a chance on headlights and tailights that are not DOT approved. For tailights, its either gonna be spyder or toms. The only thing i am unsure of is what color to get: either smoked, black, red or chrome. Any insight? I have been torn about this for a couple of weeks.

Head lights will either be Winjet or Sypder. I would want the housing of the headlights to complement the the housing of the tailights.

So, basically, what do you guys think I should do?
djdrugga24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
cdo221

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, 2015 RS 1.0
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Just FYI, I asked about the spyder tails and got responses that it's not DOT. Ft86speedfactory told me their only DOT tails are the Toms DOT version
cdo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
dunnr
Boston WhiteOut

Drives: 2013 FR-S white-out, 2015 MB C300W4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdo221 View Post
Just FYI, I asked about the spyder tails and got responses that it's not DOT. Ft86speedfactory told me their only DOT tails are the Toms DOT version
I have Spyder Tail Lights and they are DOT legal.
dunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dunnr For This Useful Post:
cdo221 (03-20-2014), wrohdejr (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
cdo221

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnr View Post
I have Spyder Tail Lights and they are DOT legal.
Do the Spyders have the side reflector light and/or DOT stamp? It's possible that there are different versions of the Spyder lights, some DOT approved, some not... I know that the FT86Speed Factory ones are not.

This is the exact quote from @FT-86 SpeedFactory

"[Originally Posted by cdo221
Hey,

Are the spyder tail lights dot approved?
http://ft86speedfactory.com/spyder-r...ghts-1096.html

Or are the Toms the only dot approved tails you carry?]

Technically, only the Tom's are DOT approved. "

I know a lot of sites are advertising the Spyders at DOT legal but no confirmation from a reliable source. I trust @FT-86 SpeedFactory the most out of all the vendors on the forum.

For example, Phastek listed the Spyders as DOT on their website. I messaged them to verify since it conflicted with what FT86SpeedFactory said ... Phastek never responded to me.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
cdo221

Here's a video showing the side reflector light required for DOT tail lights:

If the Spyders have those, then you're probably good to go. If no side reflector light, then definitely not DOT approved.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Hello everyone. Chris here. New to FT86 SpeedFactory, but not new to the 86 community.

I've had the Spyder tail lights on my vehicle since they were first available to the public. They are DOT stamped and stamped with an SAE number.

The answer that was given to you in the PM probably stemmed from Tom's being one of the only manufacturers to make it a point to note which lights were DOT approved. I apologize for that not being the long winded answer.

All you ever wanted to know about DOT regulations for lighting are on this page:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...px?reg=571.108

I've taken this excerpt from Grote.com. They are a manufacturer of vehicle safety systems for commercial vehicles (lights, reflectors, etc).

Quote:
Q: What do the letters on my light mean?

A: Most of the lamps you purchase today will have lettering on them that doesn’t seem to make any sense. This lettering is the "SAE" identification code. The Society of Automotive Engineers has been committed to improving the effectiveness and safety of your vehicles lighting. They have developed a uniform identification code that is being used by all reputable manufacturers. The code can be found in SAE J759 JUN2001 – Lighting Identification Code.

Here is an example of a code you may see on a light.

SAE = Indicates lamp has been designed to SAE specifications as indicated by the following letter codes.

A = Reflex Reflector, I = Turn signal, S = Stop Lamp, T = Tail lamp. 75 = the year lamp was certified.

DOT Indicates lamp has been tested and conforms to DOT Required Specifications, but does not indicate that the Department of Transportation or NHTSA has approved the lamp.

Please remember that this is a voluntary code and NHTSA only requires codes on headlamps.
LINK: http://www.grote.com/fleets/ask_the_...ompliance.html

There are lights which don't have any markings on them. Valenti's don't if I recall correctly. We are not carrying those.

It is my belief that Spyder has brought lights to the market which do conform to the standards within the US. The Spyder tail light does have reflex reflectors visible from the side and back. Also on their smoked lights, they don't go nearly as dark as the Valenti's or Winjets. They also never place the smoked lens over a black, non reflective housing. They only put it on the chrome versions. You'll notice that on both the headlights and tail lights.

There are some extremely dark tail lights on the market which have DOT stamps on them. Whether or not they are legal for street use is not only regulated by the federal government, but you'll have to read up on your state department of public safety.

From the Texas Department of Public Safety website:

Quote:
Equipment manufacturers have to self-certify that they meet these standards. DOT does not test equipment unless they act against those who don't meet standards. You should insure that the equipment vendor is reputable and that all equipment has a DOT or appropriate SAE stamp on it (or if not marked, keep the box that it comes in which says it is "DOT approved") and under no circumstances use equipment that is for "off-road or show only".
LINK: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/lighting.htm

Here's a picture where you can see the DOT and SAE markings on the Spyder tail lights...

FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FT-86 SpeedFactory For This Useful Post:
cdo221 (03-21-2014), DopaDubXi (03-22-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
cdo221

Ah dang, sorry for the confusion caused by my posting haha. I wanted the red spyders initially but ended up buying the Toms due to the DOT stuff.