follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #155
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
... you will be.. one. of. them.
One of us! One of US! ONE OF US!

ONE. OF. US.

Sorry off topic but I had to do that - ever since RCR did the review on the FRS/BRZ, I have had that stuck in my head.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (03-11-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #156
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
One of us! One of US! ONE OF US!

ONE. OF. US.

Sorry off topic but I had to do that - ever since RCR did the review on the FRS/BRZ, I have had that stuck in my head.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #157
pinski
Stole my avy from zGrinch

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
I absolutely loathed and hated my dealership experience with nissan. The salesman was a total ass and was pressuring beyond belief.
I tested out a 370Z a few years ago and hated the way the clutch felt. So much that I turned it around and went straight back to the dealer. Just felt very artificial to me. I was excited to love the car because I liked the 350Z before it.

Salesman acted shocked that I didn't like it and said I wasn't familiar with driving a manual. I pointed to my Miata and said that's what a clutch should feel like as it engages. Even the clutch on my old Mustang felt better than that. The 370Z felt like one of those arcade video games.

Called over his manager before I was able to leave and he said the same thing - that I didn't know how to drive a manual. I told him it was a miracle that I had been able to get myself around in manual transmission cars for the last ten years without knowing how to drive a manual. They then told me how great the automatic 370Z was and tried to get me to drive one of those.

Just weird that they got hostile when I told them I didn't like one aspect of the car - you'd think they'd appreciate me not trying to waste any more of their time by bringing it back as soon as I figured out it wasn't for me.

2015 Audi /S3 | Panther Black | DSG
Gone...2014 BRZ, 2010 Lexus IS F-Sport, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1997 Mustang GT
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #158
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinski View Post
I tested out a 370Z a few years ago and hated the way the clutch felt. So much that I turned it around and went straight back to the dealer. Just felt very artificial to me. I was excited to love the car because I liked the 350Z before it.

Salesman acted shocked that I didn't like it and said I wasn't familiar with driving a manual. I pointed to my Miata and said that's what a clutch should feel like as it engages. Even the clutch on my old Mustang felt better than that. The 370Z felt like one of those arcade video games.

Called over his manager before I was able to leave and he said the same thing - that I didn't know how to drive a manual. I told him it was a miracle that I had been able to get myself around in manual transmission cars for the last ten years without knowing how to drive a manual. They then told me how great the automatic 370Z was and tried to get me to drive one of those.

Just weird that they got hostile when I told them I didn't like one aspect of the car - you'd think they'd appreciate me not trying to waste any more of their time by bringing it back as soon as I figured out it wasn't for me.
If they both knew how to drive manuals, they should very well know that not all clutches feel the same.

In my case, I've driven manual since I had my driver's liscence. ALL Toyota clutches have the same feel (Corolla, Echo, Camry, Tundra, etc.). Honda's, not so much. I hated the Accord V6 clutch (2003 model) - it felt like it was a two stage clutch, hard on initial push and then suddenly falls to the floor. The grab point was somewhere in the last falling bit. VERY DIFFICULT to crawl around parking lots with. Initially my friends who all drove TSX or Accords (both are the same style clutch feel), laughed at me when I stalled their cars. I felt like an idiot in a way but insisted that's nothing like I've ever driven. My car is consistent all the way through.

Then one day I got hammered and one of them was the DD, they drove my Echo (see sig) for the first time and noted how easy it was to drive. Even in my drunken stupor I managed to go: "SHEE? I TOLD YUSHO". Heck, he even said it was much more controllable.

I believe your Miata's clutch (I've driven the NA and NC) has the exact same feel as most Toyotas. Very consistent and predictable all the way through with a fairly low grab point (I'd say 15-20% off the fire wall ish - feeling it, noway is that a measurement). We've both been spoiled.

Frost

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
pinski (03-10-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 11:55 PM   #159
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Yep, Toyota clutches are the easiest to learn on

Anyway, most disappointing was a new F150 mega cab with a V8 (forgot which one). Turning radius of a battleship, longer than a normal parking space, uncomfortable seats, shitty headlights (no wonder everyone puts crappy HID kits in them, you can't see), totally disconnected from the road to the point you're traveling faster than you think (oh, and the speedo isn't easy to read).

Only thing nice on it was when you floored it, it would move and sounded pretty decent. Shame the crappy transmission would hesitate to downshift to actually do anything.

Don't see the draw to trucks that big at all.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #160
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My G35 coupe I used to own. I was expecting to fall in love with it from test driving a earlier model.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 PM   #161
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So what changed between your test drive and you taking home yours?
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:18 AM   #162
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
So what changed between your test drive and you taking home yours?
I have no idea..lol. I think the power initially wowed me over but the novelty wore off fast. The FR-s wowed be over in every other area and I found the engine to be potent enough. Couple years back I thought the FR-S engine would be weak as hell but the car feels near as quick as my G35 without the 3600 lb curb weight and heavy feeling overall chassis. I was driven by negative comments on here towards the FR-S and thinking the FR-S was a joke in the power department but the power is more than sweet for daily commutes. I have 0 issues with my FR-S and hope it stays reliable.

Last edited by SUB-FT86; 03-11-2015 at 05:31 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SUB-FT86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-17-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #163
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If you had one of the earlier G35s, then I can see that comparison.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #164
Chad11491

Drives: 85.5 Porsche 944, '15 mustang GT PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinski View Post

I felt the exact same way. It was like an on off switch with a heavy spring in it. Very un smooth. My 280zx was nothing like that. I hated the clutch in the 370.

BUT, my porsche has the same feel and I've gotten used to it. It's a transaxle with a centerforce spring centered clutch instead of the OEM rubber. So i guess I could get used to the Z too. But everyone on the 370z forum basically laughed at me and told me I didn't know how to drive stick, when I obviously did.
Chad11491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #165
FR-STY 86

Drives:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Rented a dodge avenger. It looks like a challenger, has 2 hamsters on a wheel for a motor, blind spots everywhere, and a throttle response that takes 10 seconds. And they give it a name like avenger. Tehe
FR-STY 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-STY 86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-17-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #166
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I have no idea..lol. I think the power initially wowed me over but the novelty wore off fast. The FR-s wowed be over in every other area and I found the engine to be potent enough. Couple years back I thought the FR-S engine would be weak as hell but the car feels near as quick as my G35 without the 3600 lb curb weight and heavy feeling overall chassis. I was driven by negative comments on here towards the FR-S and thinking the FR-S was a joke in the power department but the power is more than sweet for daily commutes. I have 0 issues with my FR-S and hope it stays reliable.
Crazy that you actually bought one! I remember you being on this site a long time debating whether the power would be adequate. Welcome.

I also like the FR-S more than my old 350z.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #167
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Crazy that you actually bought one! I remember you being on this site a long time debating whether the power would be adequate. Welcome.

I also like the FR-S more than my old 350z.
I figured someone would notice I'm back after all these years.

But I am so in love with this car. I test drove a MX5 and other cars and the only one that wowed me was a BRZ and FRS. The MX5 was really good too but I prefer the looks of our twins. I can't go back to bigger cars ever again! The FRS set the bar too damn high in the fun department!
The Following User Says Thank You to SUB-FT86 For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 01:39 AM   #168
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Dodge caliber
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote