follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It's Suzuki's turn..

I wonder who will be next..

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mi...-idUSKCN0Y90AK

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_gt86 View Post
Link is dead
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
Crusifix

Drives: 2014 GT500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Worked for me.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Link is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuters news agency
Suzuki Motor Corp (7269.T) used the wrong methods to test the fuel economy of its cars in Japan, it said on Wednesday, widening a testing scandal that has already rocked smaller rival Mitsubishi Motors Corp (7211.T).

Japan's transport ministry ordered widespread checks to industry methods after Mitsubishi Motors admitted last month it manipulated fuel economy data for at least four mini-vehicle models, overstating their efficiency.

Mitsubishi Motors' president, Tetsuro Aikawa, said on Wednesday he would step down over that scandal, becoming the first senior departure since it broke, battering the company's reputation and wiping billions off its market value.

Worries over similar damage for Suzuki sent shares in Japan's fourth-largest carmaker down as much as 15 percent during the day.

Suzuki said it would continue selling its mini-cars and saw no impact on its earnings. The correct readings, it said, were not significantly different to those it submitted.

Japanese authorities, however, have asked for further details from Suzuki before May 31, calling its use of non-compliant tests "outrageous".

"The company apologizes for the fact that we did not follow rules set by the country," CEO Osamu Suzuki told reporters, adding 2.1 million vehicles were affected.

The company denied using the tests to make its fuel economy data look better. It blamed the decision to cobble together readings from individual car parts - rather than a single reading - on its windy testing location on a coastal hill that made readings erratic. The individual parts were tested indoors, it said.

Suzuki specializes in mini-vehicles, which have engines of up to 660cc and get preferential tax treatment under Japanese law. It has roughly a third of the country's mini-vehicle market. It also has a successful Indian subsidiary, Maruti Suzuki (MRTI.NS).

MITSUBISHI'S WOES

The transport ministry, which had asked all automakers operating in Japan to re-submit fuel economy readings on all models by Wednesday, said no other carmakers had manipulated data or used improper tests.

It is still awaiting further detail, however, from Suzuki. It said it has yet to decide whether to penalize Mitsubishi Motors and, if so, by how much.

Mitsubishi Motors' admission that it cheated on the fuel economy tests is its third major scandal in under two decades, and has prompted the automaker to agree to sell a one-third controlling stake to Nissan Motor Co (7201.T).

At a press conference on Wednesday, Mitsubishi Motors blamed excessive pressure, less time spent on research and development and high expectations for fuel efficiency.

"There was no direct order from top management," CEO Osamu Masuko said. "But top management did not have a firm grasp on the proceedings at the R&D department." He said there were several chances for the company to stop its workers - but it did not.

Masuko, who has been at the helm of Mitsubishi Motors since 2005, has been named by Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn as Mitsubishi Motors' "pilot".

UNDER SCRUTINY

Emissions and fuel economy have come under increasing scrutiny from regulators globally after Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) admitted last year it used "defeat devices" on 11 million diesel vehicles to lower emissions during tests.

France, which ordered tests on a random sample of about 100 diesel cars last year, has said some vehicles made by Renault (RENA.PA), Fiat (FCHA.MI), Mercedes (DAIGn.DE), VW, PSA Peugeot Citroen (PEUP.PA), Nissan, Opel (GM.N) and Ford (F.N) failed to comply fully with its emissions regulations.

South Korea, which has tested 20 diesel vehicle models, said on Monday it would punish Nissan with a fine and a recall of its Qashqai diesel sport utility vehicles, accusing it of manipulating emissions. Nissan denied the allegation.

In the United States, the Justice Department is investigating Daimler, the maker of Mercedes vehicles, over emissions testing.
Also, @fang_gt86 looks like the article (see bold) answers your question.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
fang_gt86 (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Also, @fang_gt86 looks like the article (see bold) answers your question.
I thought Suzuki went under... they just pull out of America?
Old 05-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I thought Suzuki went under... they just pull out of America?
Correct, the auto division pulled out of the US. They are still alive and (sorta) well in other markets, and in the US in other vehicles (motorcycles, rec vehicles)

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
Ashikabi

Quote:
Correct, the auto division pulled out of the US. They are still alive and (sorta) well in other markets, and in the US in other vehicles (motorcycles, rec vehicles)
I'm not into atvs and bikes and stuff so I guess I hadn't noticed
Old 05-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
The Sidekick (and Geo Metro and Pontiac Firefly) and then later the XL7 were made about 20 minutes from here. Suzuki pulled out of that plant back in 2009 and it now purely GM making the Equinox and Terrain.
Dadhawk (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I dont think Toyota will ever have to be part of this.

I've owned quite a few Toyota's (even a Prius ) and they have all met or exceeded published MPG ratings.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
I dont think Toyota will ever have to be part of this.

I've owned quite a few Toyota's (even a Prius ) and they have all met or exceeded published MPG ratings.
I had to run e85 to beat the numbers on the FRS lol