follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Canadian FR-S tires

Can anyone confirm we are getting the same summer-only Primacy HP tires as the US? I forgot to ask about that yesterday, I'd been assuming they would be all-seasons up here due to climate. I can pretty much avoid driving on snow days, but summer-only tires won't likely be safe enough even in sub-freezing dry weather on a RWD car like this. Not looking forward to doing wheel changes every year.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
Can anyone confirm we are getting the same summer-only Primacy HP tires as the US? I forgot to ask about that yesterday, I'd been assuming they would be all-seasons up here due to climate. I can pretty much avoid driving on snow days, but summer-only tires won't likely be safe enough even in sub-freezing dry weather on a RWD car like this. Not looking forward to doing wheel changes every year.

I would take a educated guess and say they`re going to be the same as every other market. I know all seasons might be more convenient to some but..it`s a sports car. I don`t know any Canadian market sports cars that come with all Seasons...and if they ever did..they`d put on some "max performance" all seasons that are really 3 season tires. Now a days even run of the mill cars get some of these '3 season' tires if you opt for a sport package

I'll be running 2 sets of rims/tires all year around like I do with all my cars, but i know where you're coming from

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
colHolm
Default User Title

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryUyede View Post
I would take a educated guess and say they`re going to be the same as every other market. I know all seasons might be more convenient to some but..it`s a sports car. I don`t know any Canadian market sports cars that come with all Seasons...and if they ever did..they`d put on some "max performance" all seasons that are really 3 season tires. Now a days even run of the mill cars get some of these '3 season' tires if you opt for a sport package

I'll be running 2 sets of rims/tires all year around like I do with all my cars, but i know where you're coming from
As far as I know, they are the same tires.

For the record, all seasons = no seasons. Whether you are driving a sports car or a family sedan, I will always recommend people to have a set of dedicated summer tires, and a set of dedicated winter tires.
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colHolm View Post
As far as I know, they are the same tires.

For the record, all seasons = no seasons. Whether you are driving a sports car or a family sedan, I will always recommend people to have a set of dedicated summer tires, and a set of dedicated winter tires.
Yup, always the way i do it

Past to Present
Old 04-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Spot on! When I got my Civic Si back in '07, it came with rubbish Michelin MXM4 (something like that) all-seasons. I replaced them with Star Specs and they performed better in the rain than the supposed all-seasons.

Annoyingly the FRS spec on the Scion site, still has provisos around it, but would Toyota really make changes just for the small Canadian market? Doubt it.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
colHolm
Default User Title

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Spot on! When I got my Civic Si back in '07, it came with rubbish Michelin MXM4
Michelin MX4s, Honda used those tires a lot. I remember picking up a set of SiR wheels back in the day, and I couldn't wait to get em off. I replaced them with Pirelli P6000s.
colHolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colHolm View Post
Michelin MX4s, Honda used those tires a lot. I remember picking up a set of SiR wheels back in the day, and I couldn't wait to get em off. I replaced them with Pirelli P6000s.
If you wanna pay the high price tag, michelin makes some great tires..those are not one of them

Past to Present
Old 04-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
^That's it. In the US the optional 'summer tires' were the Exalto PS2s.
I had those on my Clio and they were flippin great :-)

Funnily enough the price difference between Exaltos and the MXM4s was/is pretty small.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I dont the tire choice is any different between US and Canada.

My Corolla XRS came with Michelin Pilot Primacy stock so i had to buy a separate set of winters.

Ive seen Primacy's on all the SE trim of their various models.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I wonder if you are asking about the tires because your debating if you should change tires once the snow hits Toronoto this winter? Because if thats the case, I would definatly switch to a proper snow tire. I wouldn't dare use the stock tires for winter driving in Toronto.

That being said, I would invest in a proper winter set and think about buying something for summer driving. I've personally got a set of rims and tires picked out for summer driving and I'll be picking up a set of tires for heavy rain / winter months. We see more rain in Vancouver then snow so the rain tires should keep me planted.

In the end, my winter/rain tires will be on my stock rims and my sticky summer tires will be on a lightweight set of 16inch rims. Once the stock tires are gone, it's either summers or winters / rain for me.

bneale
bneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^Not having to commute for work I can pretty well avoid driving when there is significant snow on the road, so the all-seasons on my current car have been fine. But it looks like we are getting HP summer tires so I don't think they will cut it in winter.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
yeahh.....do not try driving in the winter with summer tires.

Its both scary and you have very little grip.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote