follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
Black FT-86

Drives: NA Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Magazine / Online Info

Hey all, after attempting to read everything available on the FT-86 online I found a ton of sites repeating the same info. I've got two to share right off the bat, and if you have links to articles with new / interesting info, post them here for all to see.

Toyota FT-86 takes to the track

Exclusive spy shots reveal best look yet at exciting new Toyota-Subaru FT-86 venture.
Auto Express Car Reviews
13th October 2009

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...9f54635ada2fab

Toyota Celica Returns!

Legendary coupe makes a comeback in the form of a stunning new rear-wheel drive sports car
Auto Express Car Reviews
By Peter Lyon 02nd October 2009

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/242977/toyota_celica_returns.html

N.A.
Black FT-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
RadOnc

Drives: 328i
Thanks! Great resource..
RadOnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't really care what label the car gets, but it would be cool if they go with "Celica"

I think badging it a Corolla would be a bad move... nowadays, only Initial D fans and hard core import enthusiasts view Corollas as anything other than crappier versions of the Camry -- i.e., bland, uninspiring, people-movers. At least the Celica is still considered "sporty".
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
This is exactly why I think that the AE86 didn't have the sales it could've back in the 80's.

Toyota of America should've branded it as something different (with Levin or Trueno, Sprinter, or Sprinter Trueno being the obvious choices). Back then people went to buy a corolla for much the same reason as today: Cheap econoboxes. They weren't willing to fork out an extra 4-5k just to get a sportier version.

I guarantee you Toyota has learned from this lesson, and this car will not be sold as a Corolla. If they do I would be insanely surprised.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Black FT-86

Future Toyota(baru): FT-86 Concept Leads Toyota's Tokyo Lineup

Toyota FT-86 Concept
October 19, 2009 / By Peter Lyon

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows...ept/index.html
Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Rome

Drives: DC5-S
Damn that article says there are two other concepts and that we should expect the exterior to change, NOOOOOO!!!!
Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Ground N Pound

Drives: S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
I guarantee you Toyota has learned from this lesson, and this car will not be sold as a Corolla. If they do I would be insanely surprised.
If they name it Corolla they will have doomed the car from the beginning. Not that the Corolla sucks but it doesn't exactly have a sporty image these days and I think the name and image of a sports car counts for a lot in terms of attracting interest and eventually sales. Toyota is already known these days as the maker of appliances on wheels so they are already fighting an uphill battle IMO.
Ground N Pound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Ground N Pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome View Post
Damn that article says there are two other concepts and that we should expect the exterior to change, NOOOOOO!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorTrend Article
A source close to Toyota tells us that while the FT-86's exterior design is sourced from Toyota Europe Design in France, two other prototypes also exist, one penned by head office in Toyota City and the other created by Calty Design Research in California. "Build quality is very high, and it may already look ready for the road, but don't be surprised if the exterior changes, because this car is not finished, not by a long way," our source says.
True there's 3 designs out there, but this is probably the strongest one and most likely of the three if they decided to show the car with this design. Yea the design may change as often happens between concept and production but look at the reaction this car is getting so far in the press and communities like this one. Plus I bet it'll be one of the most, if not the most, popular cars at Tokyo Motor Show next week and will show Toyota they got a hit on their hands with this car in current form. Or at least I hope that's what happens
Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
Ground N Pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black FT-86 View Post
Future Toyota(baru): FT-86 Concept Leads Toyota's Tokyo Lineup

Toyota FT-86 Concept
October 19, 2009 / By Peter Lyon

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows...ept/index.html
What does this from the article mean?
Quote:
Toyoda said "It is important for management like me to drive our cars not only on public roads, but also in competition to fully understand where our engineers are coming from." He went on to say that he is not racing for the sake of racing, but rather testing cars like the LFA and IS F on road surfaces in competitive environments that push a car's chassis and suspension to the limits.
Did the Toyota CEO personally race at some race in LFA or ISF? Great to see these types of comments coming from him though. Its been too long since Toyota had any exciting cars really.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rome View Post
Hmm. I kind of call bullshit on that... I almost think they just want to keep the buzz going.

However, if true, the Calty team designed the extrordinarily pretty 7th gen Celica, so the final version will still be a looker.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #11
Black FT-86

The latest from Auto Express

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...9f54635ada2fab

They definitely sound confident: A, this thing is certain to go into production and B, it won't be too long till it gets here... both great things.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #12
Black FT-86

Another blip from Auto Express

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au..._at_tokyo.html
Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground N Pound View Post
What does this from the article mean?

Did the Toyota CEO personally race at some race in LFA or ISF? Great to see these types of comments coming from him though. Its been too long since Toyota had any exciting cars really.
http://www.gtchannel.com/content.php?cid=67487
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/26/n...urburgring-24/

Akio Toyoda is a huge fan of motorsports and a racecar driver. He was part of the team that raced the LF-A at the 24hr of Nurburgring in may.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #14
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Another new article -- a few new details...

Hot 86 models to come, but no Celica badge yet

words - Mike Sinclair

Toyota's FT-86 will spawn hotter variants and perhaps a convertible, but there's no Celica badge yet

Toyota is being tight-lipped about most every detail of its new 2+2 sportscar, even its production name.
Debuted in concept form at this week's Tokyo Motor Show, the FT-86 Concept has been co-developed with Subaru and confirmed for production for the 2011 model year.

But while the company is saying the new rear-wheel drive coupe will be powered by a 2.0-litre boxer (horizontally-opposed) four-cylinder that's unique to the car, that's about all that's on the record. Officially…

The Carsales Network caught up with Toyota's Chief Engineer for the FT-86 project, Tetsuya Tada at the car's unveiling at Tokyo. And though the development boss was happy to talk about the importance of the new sportscar to Toyota's future brand DNA, when it came to details about the car he was particularly tight-lipped.

According to Tada-san, the FT-86's engine and platform are both unique to the car and not directly shared with any other Subaru models. He says the powerplant was developed from scratch for the car using "the latest technology from both companies" with Toyota's environmental goals in mind.

Insiders suggest the engine is an amalgam of Subaru's next generation Boxer powerplant with Toyota's own direct-injection heads, induction and fueling hardware. Tada-san says all the performance benchmarks are Toyota's.

Though a naturally-aspirated powerplant is fitted to the concept car, Tada-san says higher performance versions are on the cards. He even hints the car may launch with both standard and high-performance versions.

Not STI, but TRD, he joked adding: "Those sort of 'customised version' -- we have something of their sort in our mind. So please raise your expectations.

"It's not the end [of development] when we launch this vehicle. It has to evolve each and every year. Within that environment, there are many possibilities," he told the Carsales Network.

Including a convertible?

"Yes, within our evolution that is also an idea -- depending on your [the public's] support," Tada stated.

When it comes to the name the car will wear when it is released, Tada was equally non-committal. Indeed, when quizzed on a possible return of the Celica badge, he stated matter of factly: "I won't say the possibility is nil, but nothing is decided at the moment."

When it comes to local plans for the FT-86 production equivalent, Toyota Australia is sticking to the corporate line too.

"It's still a fair way away -- a couple of years from production," Toyota Australia product chief Peter Evans told the Carsales Network.

"As to what name you'd use, there's obviously some brand capital left in Celica. [But] the other thing is it is a spiritual successor to the AE86 Levin/Sprinter/Apex series, so whether it's one of those three [names] would be a decision TMC [Toyota Motor Company] would have to take, probably asking affiliates like ourselves."

According to Evans, head office may authorise different name strategies for different markets depending on the relative badges' strengths -- a la Corolla and Auris.

Evans says officially, the car is still not confirmed for Australia, but he says it is "absolutely" in the local operation's future model planning.

"[It's] Not confirmed for us. They have accepted our request in the TMC system but in terms of actually confirming it, it's not confirmed for us yet. But I'll be very surprised [if we don't get it]."

"I'm relatively confident -- better than 50:50," Evans enthused.

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2009...adge-yet-17144