follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2015, 05:30 PM   #29
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There is usually some truth to any rumor, but I would prefer to talk about rational speculation.

Seeing how Toyota rebadges the Mazda 2 Sedan as a Scion, I would see it possible for Toyota to rebadge or redesign the MX-5 Roadster as a Toyota/Scion, especially as Coupe as Mazda does not want to build a MX-5 Coupe, unless it is a RX-7, but the probability of that is almost, null, as Mazda focuses on other products. In addition we must not for get that the MX-5 will be also available by FCA as a Fiat 124 Spider, a Fiat 124 Coupe would not be impossible.

The thing is the GT86/BRZ is dropping in sales, because obviously everyone that wanted one bought it. Those asking more power will not buy it even if it did have more power.

We know BMW and Toyota are working on the sportscar, Z5 and Supra-like. Given the low sales of sports cars declining sales of sedans, because of the new trend in crossovers and SUVs, it is very unlikely BMW will have a full line-up of Z cars (Z1, Z3, Z5). This means Toyota will not have any platform for the GT86 successor. Subaru is going to its new modular platform, so does Toyota with its own.

The only thing left is Mazda. If the platform is good, why not as a Toyota too. This would end the Twin vs. MX-5 debate.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #30
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
Since Scion got rights to the Mazda 2 they are working on getting the miata as well, so they can release the much smaller Frs roadster, the smaller, even lighter frs.
Uhm.. I hope you know when I said this ^^^ I meant it as a joke? I have absolutely no idea about toyota making a MX-5 competitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
There is usually some truth to any rumor, but I would prefer to talk about rational speculation.

Seeing how Toyota rebadges the Mazda 2 Sedan as a Scion, I would see it possible for Toyota to rebadge or redesign the MX-5 Roadster as a Toyota/Scion, especially as Coupe as Mazda does not want to build a MX-5 Coupe, unless it is a RX-7, but the probability of that is almost, null, as Mazda focuses on other products. In addition we must not for get that the MX-5 will be also available by FCA as a Fiat 124 Spider, a Fiat 124 Coupe would not be impossible.

The thing is the GT86/BRZ is dropping in sales, because obviously everyone that wanted one bought it. Those asking more power will not buy it even if it did have more power.

We know BMW and Toyota are working on the sportscar, Z5 and Supra-like. Given the low sales of sports cars declining sales of sedans, because of the new trend in crossovers and SUVs, it is very unlikely BMW will have a full line-up of Z cars (Z1, Z3, Z5). This means Toyota will not have any platform for the GT86 successor. Subaru is going to its new modular platform, so does Toyota with its own.

The only thing left is Mazda. If the platform is good, why not as a Toyota too. This would end the Twin vs. MX-5 debate.

Very nice explanation though
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote