follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #85
schlomo

Drives: mazda3, 370z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I used to talk big about buying an fr-s one day, but I ended up getting a 370z. It's hard to compare the two in my opinion. They're just completely different cars built for different purposes/driving styles.

The fr-s has the more crisp steering for sure. The 370z's steering isn't boat-like as some would have you believe. In fact, it feels better than any car over 3200lbs that I've ever driven. My friend still lets me drive his fr-s from time to time and it is an absolute joy around town, but I eventually decided that it wasn't for me. (other cars I test drove when looking to purchase were the MX-5, 5.0 GT, STI, Cayman-not the S)

My advice to anyone interested in a sporty car today would be to not even compare the numbers (HP, TQ, skid pad, 0-60, etc) and just go test drive some. It would be naive to assume that the feel and emotion of these cars could be reduced to some numbers on a web page. Don't be embarrassed to take the corners hard and accelerate hard coming out. The salesman will get over it!
schlomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #86
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Nobody seems to have read your complete post...

Hey OP!

If you are looking at a used 370Z beware that the 370Z was notorious for feeling sloppy as the years piled on. The gearshifter gets clunkier, engine gets louder and in general it just gets more "tired". Seating position is also not optimal.

I haven't driven the 370Z but I did try out the 350Z so I can't quite chime in on how they might differ but given that most reviews say it's moar powa, I would think they are alike at least. If you are looking at the used 370Z, I would, like most other people have already pointed out, look at a Mustang GT as well. Solid performer and just as "fun" - just depends how you like your fun served.

On the other hand the BRZ / FR-S is a much more tighter, road-in-your hands feel but obviously lacking the power. If you're coming from having a Mustang at home, the Toybaru will definitely leave you wanting in the power department.

Really boils down to what your preferences are:

- Power?
- Cornering?
- Reliability?
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #87
schlomo

Drives: mazda3, 370z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Hey OP!

If you are looking at a used 370Z beware that the 370Z was notorious for feeling sloppy as the years piled on. The gearshifter gets clunkier, engine gets louder and in general it just gets more "tired". Seating position is also not optimal.

I haven't driven the 370Z but I did try out the 350Z so I can't quite chime in on how they might differ
I spend a lot of time on the 370z forum and I never see posts about engine getting louder with age, feeling sloppy, getting "tired" etc. The main complaints are: oil heating up too fast on the track without an oil cooler and brake fade on the track without upgrades. Those 2 issues WILL need to be addressed if you plan on tracking a Z.
schlomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #88
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting, I have two owners of 370Z (who have never offered to let me drive their Zs - in their defence, I never asked) who are complaining about the drive train feeling sloppier. None of them have the new version with the auto-blip throttle on downshifts.

All stock so the engine loudness isn't due to owner stupidity.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #89
Stealthx

Drives: 370z,Evo X
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
All 370Zs that have a sport package have the auto blip. It is the same transmission for all manual 370Z models. Just an added feature. I've owned multiple 350s and two 370s. The transmission I never thought was honestly bad. T me it's people being too picky. Buy bushing then. Of course some are smoother. But the Zs transmission is far from bad. Stock shifter I could throw the gears with just my wrist. Now compared to my evo x, that truly has a bad shifter and transmission feel. There are a few fixes for it but pricey. First time in it from my Z I felt like driving a truck. The evo is a great performaning car but truly lack every bit of refinement. Saying that, I still love the evo because I drive it how it is ment to be driven.
This is an odd comparison, one I've griped to think of currently. As I'm looking to buy either a white or red frs or wait for a white '14 Nismo. A heavier v6 compared to a lightweight flat 4. The frs drives no where near what the z does in power and speed, and if you know how to drive a z at limits, it is very fast and can really go. The frs on other hand gives more of a better sense of encouragement, lighter and better handling per power ratio I think plays biggest parts in that.
Good luck in what ever way you go, you won't be dissappointed.
Stealthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #90
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Look up insurer reports on reliability on the 370z. My best friend works at a Nissan dealer and they are constantly getting 370s back in for shit. Obviously it's to early to tell reliability with the twins. Besides the minor issues and the tail light fog.
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #91
Ryeong86

Drives: 2015 Sti Launch Edition
Garage
Figure out what best fits you. Horsepower can be added later and if you are looking to autox or track it, this is the best car to teach how to drive fast. If you can drive an under powered FR-S fast, you can drive anything fast. I watched on Sunday at my SCCA SOLO event, people with fast cars like the WRX STI, Evo's and even a 370Z drive so slow.... I made top 10 fastest time with my stock FR-S.
Take a look at the final times for April 14th:

Final: https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...event1_fin.htm
Pax: https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...event1_pax.htm
Raw: https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...event1_raw.htm
Summary: https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...event1_sum.htm
Ryeong86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #92
HeubergerMotors

Drives: 2006 WRX TR
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have test driven both. I'm a huge VQ fan.

The VQ37VHR Is IMO opinion a great engine plus when you mod it right with a stillen intake G3 or stillen exhausts sounds beautiful!

However, price is a big point... FR-S Lots of great features, great look and agile for a price that can't be beat.

Anyways, Take care!
HeubergerMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #93
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryeong86 View Post
Figure out what best fits you. Horsepower can be added later and if you are looking to autox or track it, this is the best car to teach how to drive fast. If you can drive an under powered FR-S fast, you can drive anything fast. I watched on Sunday at my SCCA SOLO event, people with fast cars like the WRX STI, Evo's and even a 370Z drive so slow.... I made top 10 fastest time with my stock FR-S.
Take a look at the final times for April 14th:

Final: https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...event1_fin.htm
Pax: https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...event1_pax.htm
Raw: https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...event1_raw.htm
Summary: https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...event1_sum.htm
i disagree with that. driving a car with no power isnt going to teach you how to handle power. i think what makes these cars and cars like them shine is that you are on the gas 95% of the time. the fun you have without power is so carefree. adding power makes things different. not more or less fun, but different.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #94
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I came out of a 370z recently.

Powerwise it is great, handling wise it is good, quality of build it is good.

Compared to the BRZ , the Z does feel sloppier in terms of shifting, and clutching, and doesn't feel as sharp but handles just as good. The shifting in the Z is clunky, the clutch is finicky and makes all sorts of noises.

Visibility the z is horrible, you can't see over the hood regardless of how you position the seat, the blindspots are killer. The BRZ seating position and visibility are ways better.

There is something the FRs/BRz offers that the z didn't. When you sit in the twins you feel like you are in control of a precision machine, it feels sharp and nimble. The Z feels more like a grand tourer, a solid sports car, fast and handles great but feels dull. You can feel the weight difference, then again the Z has the power to back it up.

Its like comparing a samarai to a ninja. The ninja will always be swift and lighter but not as powerful.

I loved my z to death, its probably one of the best sports cars you can buy in terms of money. It is in no way over priced because it can hang with the cayman. I hate nissan though. The mpg sucks. The transmission and clutch sucks, the engine is coarse. Other than that it is one of the better cars you can buy in the 30k range.
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #95
frosty86

Drives: '13 FR-S (Whiteout) Manual
I personally think 370z is not worth driving unless you get it with the sports package. The auto-sync/blip feature is just too awesome.
frosty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frosty86 For This Useful Post:
juliog (08-12-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #96
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #97
boead

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Thanks for the input dan. I was looking to hear from someone who has personally owned both and would give a non biased opinion.

The fact that the FR-S has a back seat (even though its close to useless) is a very big + over a pure 2 seat coupe. I can see myself using those backseats quite a bit. Stuff my kids back there (only if I get in a pinch and have to), put my workout/tennis equipment back there, groceries back there, fold the seats down and pack in luggage for me and the mrs on a weekend getaway, etc....
My kids are 14 and 16 and I have another 16yo that usually comes along with us. So the 4 of us go here and there on weekends a lot.
I had a Acura RSX which has a slightly larger back seat but the kids said that the FRS is more comfortable once your in the seat except for the lack of leg room.

I just got my hands on a 99 E320. Obviously taking the kids out for the day is EASY in that car and its going to be my daughters first car soon.
But she made a comment this weekend how although the MB has MUCH more room in the back (LOL its like Lincoln) the FRS was comfortable and more fun to be in ;-D THATS MY DAUGHTER!

Oh and BTW: Talk about options!!
The 1999 E320 has everything!
Traction control (W/S) with serious breaks (cars is like 3700 empty)
Auto everything! Put the car in reverse and the mirrors adjust themselves, NO intermittent wipers; its decides how much to wipe depending on the amount of rain.
Heated Electric seats? It ahs both heated and cooled seats via the climate control.
AC cooled center compartment for my chocolate and gum :-D
I got 24 MPG after a 600 miles trip upstate NY.
Powerful, smooth and as soft and "mushy" as it feels, its SOLID, LEVEL and very much the same at 30 mph or 130 mpg !!
boead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #98
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Grahams View Post
So it's been a good 2 months since I bought my Fr-s. I still have my Z in the garage and have come to a conclusion. Fr-s > 370z. The only reason I could see anyone picking the Z over the Fr-s would be over the concern for power. Even then, dumping another 5k into the Fr-s to make the prices close to equal, would net a better car. Stock, the Fr-s is just perfect. I love the emotion of the car. The great storage and the comfort. I said it earlier after my test drive, and I'll say it now after owning it. The Fr-s is so much more of a rewarding car to drive. It treats you well. Just me sitting here talking about it proves it. I treat my Fr-s as a true person, another person in my life that I am in a relationship with. The Z just sits in my garage now and truth be told has a dead battery right now lol. I can go on and on, but can never really express how much more I like the Fr-s than the Z. If you have specific question, I could probably supply a better insight into these two cars. But for the moment, I will say that I like my Fr-s more than my Z.

I came from a 370z into a brz 3 days ago and have no regrets.

I ended up parting ways with my 370z. Some people may think it's a downgrade but there is something about my brz that charms me. Yes it lacks power but the feel of the car is different.

Really test drive them back to back and you will see the only advantage on the z is hp.
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SliverBrz For This Useful Post:
fernan2 (09-27-2013), Panda Grahams (04-30-2013)