follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #1
Watch Me Run

Drives: Celica
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone in the bay recommend a shop for a clutch replacement?

Hey wassup Bay Area,

I'm looking at that car on craigslist right now that's priced at $13,700.00 but needs a clutch replacement. I'm not really sure of any specialty shops in the bay but if you know any to recommend I'm all ears.

Also since I'm already there would there be anything else under the car that needs looking out for? Aside from rust and all that since the obvious things are easy enough to catch, like drivetrain related elements that I should be concerned about when it comes to a car that needs it's clutch replaced at 66k miles?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
66k seems a bit premature to need a clutch replaced, all depends on what the car was used for really. I'm not familiar with the bay area so I can't attest to how often you have to hill start, or if the previous driver just isn't very proficient at using a clutch. It's precautionary but look into getting the flywheel resurfaced when replacing a clutch.
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I would be a bit wary of what the previous owner had done to the car tbh. Could simply be they weren't that great at driving manual. There's a couple shops around the bay that specialize in 86's (The Racer's Line, Elite Performance) but there's plenty of other shops around that do great work as well.
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FirstWinter For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-24-2016), MyRx (10-29-2016), Watch Me Run (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5833951455.html

It shouldn't need a clutch, the owner abused it (53k on mine, two seasons of autox with hundreds of hard launches and my clutch is fine). I would mostly be concerned that the owner had modifications on it that he took off and sold and isn't telling you about, i.e. a turbo kit that was pushing 300+ whp could mean the engine has already used up most of it's life. That would also explain why the clutch is shot.

These cars are easy to wrench on, slap on every aftermarket part in a weekend and put it back to stock the next weekend and if you don't know what you're looking for, you'd be none the wiser.

It might still be a good deal despite that. I don't know the best way to see if the engine is still healthy, compression test?
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
FirstWinter (10-24-2016), MrFisty (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
Tenino

Drives: 13' BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

It shouldn't need a clutch, the owner abused it (53k on mine, two seasons of autox with hundreds of hard launches and my clutch is fine). I would mostly be concerned that the owner had modifications on it that he took off and sold and isn't telling you about, i.e. a turbo kit that was pushing 300+ whp could mean the engine has already used up most of it's life. That would also explain why the clutch is shot.

These cars are easy to wrench on, slap on every aftermarket part in a weekend and put it back to stock the next weekend and if you don't know what you're looking for, you'd be none the wiser.

It might still be a good deal despite that. I don't know the best way to see if the engine is still healthy, compression test?
Highly recommend a PPI (Pre-purchase inspection), the closest shop from you would probably be Elite Performance in Burlingame. Otherwise The Racers Line is also available but in Concord.

Compression test is definitely a wise choice to tell how healthy the engine is. As stated above, coilovers, super/turbo kits, etc can all be bolted on in a weekends time.

As for clutch replacement, both of the shops can help you with that.
Tenino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tenino For This Useful Post:
MyRx (10-29-2016), strat61caster (10-24-2016), Watch Me Run (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
"Stability Control (Drift Controls)"

The fact that they put "Drift Controls" in their description is a nice clue that they've been doing some.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
MrFisty (10-25-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
"Stability Control (Drift Controls)"

The fact that they put "Drift Controls" in their description is a nice clue that they've been doing some.
But he explicitly says it's never been raced or drifted!

I bet it's only been driven 'spiritedly'

Edit: A few clutches have gone due to throw out bearing and manufacturer defect, that could be the case, hell maybe it's just squeaking/noisy and his shop quoted a whole clutch replacement, there may be a reasonable explanation and the car is perfectly ok, I don't know.

I wouldn't be surprised if I took my car for a shop due to the 'creaking' clutch and the shop said 'nope gotta replace everything, $2k please' instead of just lubricating the fork like it really needs.

But spending $14k on a car only to need $6k+ worth of new engine reinstallation would be a tough pill to swallow.

OP, up the budget to ~$18k, there's lots of 86s that look really nice with much lower mileage in that price range and no imminent expensive repairs necessary.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Watch Me Run (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
Watch Me Run

Drives: Celica
Quote:
But he explicitly says it's never been raced or drifted!

I bet it's only been driven 'spiritedly'

Edit: A few clutches have gone due to throw out bearing and manufacturer defect, that could be the case, hell maybe it's just squeaking/noisy and his shop quoted a whole clutch replacement, there may be a reasonable explanation and the car is perfectly ok, I don't know.

I wouldn't be surprised if I took my car for a shop due to the 'creaking' clutch and the shop said 'nope gotta replace everything, $2k please' instead of just lubricating the fork like it really needs.

But spending $14k on a car only to need $6k+ worth of new engine reinstallation would be a tough pill to swallow.

OP, up the budget to ~$18k, there's lots of 86s that look really nice with much lower mileage in that price range and no imminent expensive repairs necessary.
Damn that's a good point
Old 10-24-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I'd say bring it over to Elite performance or The Racer's Line. Both Gary and Neal are awesome guys to work with. Gary at Elite and Neal at Racer's Line
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
MyRx (10-29-2016)