follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #2325
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
Yeah I saw that on mine too but IDK how accurate the AFR reading is on the OFT seeing as its reading from the stock sensor. Do you have a wideband in your car? Im coming from a turbo car, so in that world 11.4 would be ok but I figured that was pretty rich for an N/A car.
I used the OBD with BRZEdit to log, and the sniffer from the dyno. Numbers where pretty close on both...
Old 12-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #2326
Cartman

I have to point out that AFR between stock and full exhaust + drop-in + manifold spacers isn't altered dramatically. Right now I have stock cat back, but the dyno was done when I had a Q300 catback on.

Stock

Full bolt ons + stock tune.

Just for the heck of it... Full bolt ons minus header. Header provided almost no gains...

Last edited by Cartman; 12-19-2014 at 05:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cartman For This Useful Post:
kodyo (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #2327
355rockit

Drives: Sci FR-S, Fer F355, Toy Highlander
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
The cat has a 5yr warranty and rated for airflow at 5.XL of air when in use.

If the cat is bad it can be replaced under our warranty program, although a tune not made specifically for this header can definitely cause issues.

Please if you are running a tune with this header do not use a tune meant for a catless header. They are very different animals. Runner length, collector, and cat are all different. Running a tune not optimized for something as important as a header will definitely cause sluggishness and a slew of other issues.

Good to know. I have been running OFT Stage 2 UEL on my FR-S since getting the FT86 SF catted UEL header (I was one of the first 10 sold). I'll switch to OFT Stage 1 as you suggested. (S2D4, No I do not have any logs ... ) . Shiv mentioned that the Stage 2 UEL OTS tune would be okay for the catted header when I asked him, but don't want to affect my warranty.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:40 PM   #2328
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Just for the heck of it... Full bolt ons minus header. Header provided almost no gains...
This is actually pretty good data and backs up the claims of the header and peoples butt dynos. Less torque dip and smoother power delivery at low RPM.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:47 AM   #2329
Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
This is actually pretty good data and backs up the claims of the header and peoples butt dynos. Less torque dip and smoother power delivery at low RPM.

Thanks!
I wish I could say the same, but in reality, my car lost tq down low, making it seem as if the tq dip was eliminated as you can see when you compare the full bolt ons with FT86SF header (122ish tq @3Krpm) and with stock header (132ish tq @ 3KRPM)...

This header could have great potential, but only if you go catless.

If you're gonna go with the catted version, leave everything else stock to take advantage of it.

For science, a local guy has this header as well

His car has: FT86SF catted header, 3" Catless FP, 2.5" perrin cb, 3" overpipe, Intake manifold spacers, Supertek pipe + drop in, HKS Intake duct

Managed to get 170WHP with a tune on that dyno, and 180whp on a dynojet with 93 octane.

My car did 170WHP as you can see from the dyno sheets wiith the header, Perrin 3" catted FP, 2.5" overpipe, Manifold spacers, K&N drop in filter, invidia Q300 catback, and stock tune on 91 octane.

It did 181WHP on a dynojet with 93 on stock tune and 186WHP tuned with the stock catback. But like I said, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten those same numbers with stok header with better low end tq, although having the dip at 3K vs a flat tq curve.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cartman For This Useful Post:
kodyo (12-23-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 04:44 AM   #2330
etherealfall

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS Storm Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
FT-86 SpeedFactory Catted UEL Header

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
The cat has a 5yr warranty and rated for airflow at 5.XL of air when in use.

If the cat is bad it can be replaced under our warranty program, although a tune not made specifically for this header can definitely cause issues.

Please if you are running a tune with this header do not use a tune meant for a catless header. They are very different animals. Runner length, collector, and cat are all different. Running a tune not optimized for something as important as a header will definitely cause sluggishness and a slew of other issues.

Not to high jack the conversation but I have the catted ft86sf header and catted front pipe of another brand with a full resonated exhaust, what tune should I be using out of the ofts? I am also from Australia if it helps.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #2331
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherealfall View Post
Not to high jack the conversation but I have the catted ft86sf header and catted front pipe of another brand with a full resonated exhaust, what tune should I be using out of the ofts? I am also from Australia if it helps.
probably safest with stage 1 tune used on stock cars , although your header is uel I assume and stock is basicly EL so their is not rearly a tune for you.

Is you secondary cat hi-flow ? you might try out the stage 2 uel, but your going to have to log for knock and afr to see what it look like.

it probably worth the expense of an e-tune at least.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #2332
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Stage 1. Original header is also slightly UEL and this header is a mild UEL with a ceramic cat.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #2333
chas3wba0

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etherealfall View Post
I have the same general setup as you and am running Stage 1. Stage 2 is explicitly designed for catless headers, regardless of your other exhaust bits. You won't really feel any "gains" over Stage 1 and also risk running into issues from an improperly-matched tune, so I wouldn't recommend it.

To quote the developer himself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
As the release notes say, they are only intended for cars equipped with catless headers. If you don't have catless headers, this map will be too aggressive for you car. So please don't bother running it even if you have every other mod available. Compared to our Stage 1 map, the Stage 2 map has leaner AFR, runs more ignition advance, revised VVT maps, new MAF scaling, and other go-fast mapping changes.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...96&postcount=1

So let's stop asking whether we should run Stage 1 or 2 with this header; the answer is pretty obvious.
FT-86 SpeedFactory (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #2334
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I wish I could say the same, but in reality, my car lost tq down low, making it seem as if the tq dip was eliminated as you can see when you compare the full bolt ons with FT86SF header (122ish tq @3Krpm) and with stock header (132ish tq @ 3KRPM)...

This header could have great potential, but only if you go catless.

If you're gonna go with the catted version, leave everything else stock to take advantage of it.

For science, a local guy has this header as well

His car has: FT86SF catted header, 3" Catless FP, 2.5" perrin cb, 3" overpipe, Intake manifold spacers, Supertek pipe + drop in, HKS Intake duct

Managed to get 170WHP with a tune on that dyno, and 180whp on a dynojet with 93 octane.

My car did 170WHP as you can see from the dyno sheets wiith the header, Perrin 3" catted FP, 2.5" overpipe, Manifold spacers, K&N drop in filter, invidia Q300 catback, and stock tune on 91 octane.

It did 181WHP on a dynojet with 93 on stock tune and 186WHP tuned with the stock catback. But like I said, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten those same numbers with stok header with better low end tq, although having the dip at 3K vs a flat tq curve.
It was hard to compare the two graph with and without the header due to the scales being off, so I made one so you can compare. Dark Green/Dark Blue are with the header installed for your setup.

Not perfect, but I think it's pretty close (and I messed up the bottom tail of the HP curve).

The Following User Says Thank You to kodyo For This Useful Post:
Cartman (12-31-2014)
Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #2335
Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
It was hard to compare the two graph with and without the header due to the scales being off, so I made one so you can compare. Dark Green/Dark Blue are with the header installed for your setup.

Not perfect, but I think it's pretty close (and I messed up the bottom tail of the HP curve).

Exactly... as you can see I lost power with the header... it did retain peak power better than the stock header though...
Old 12-31-2014, 04:11 AM   #2336
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What I keep seeing here is that people like Cartman spend quite some money on several harware mods that each of them by themselves warrant a proper tune (spacers, header, full exhaust) or at least in combination with one of the before (intake). But you run them all together without any(!) tune or without getting a proper one, yet still seem it worthwhile to do several dynos. And then if it doesn't work out as expected you blame the header?

I would at first hand blame the lack of a proper tune, there is NO way a stock tune can accomodate for all those mods AND give more power for each of them. It just doesn't exist. And a stage 2 generic tune isn't suitable either if you did any research and problems are to be expected. This isn't new, it has been stated over and again in this thread.

So, please explain how you can spend thousands on hardware and several dynos, and then not spend a few hundreds on a suitable tune?? It's like buying a sniper rifle and not buying scopes and complaining you keep missing your target...

Sorry if I misunderstood your situation but as of now, I really don't understand what you expected.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trettiosjuan For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (12-31-2014), JTM (07-15-2015)
Old 12-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #2337
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trettiosjuan View Post
What I keep seeing here is that people like Cartman spend quite some money on several harware mods that each of them by themselves warrant a proper tune (spacers, header, full exhaust) or at least in combination with one of the before (intake). But you run them all together without any(!) tune or without getting a proper one, yet still seem it worthwhile to do several dynos. And then if it doesn't work out as expected you blame the header?

I would at first hand blame the lack of a proper tune, there is NO way a stock tune can accomodate for all those mods AND give more power for each of them. It just doesn't exist. And a stage 2 generic tune isn't suitable either if you did any research and problems are to be expected. This isn't new, it has been stated over and again in this thread.

So, please explain how you can spend thousands on hardware and several dynos, and then not spend a few hundreds on a suitable tune?? It's like buying a sniper rifle and not buying scopes and complaining you keep missing your target...

Sorry if I misunderstood your situation but as of now, I really don't understand what you expected.
OK, so the header is only good for stock tune with no other mods.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #2338
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
OK, so the header is only good for stock tune with no other mods.
That's essentially what the FT86SF Catted UEL Header was designed for - people were asking for a UEL catted header that wouldn't need a tune.

By FT86SF's own admission, as soon as you introduce any other mods to the intake/exhaust, all bets are off and you'll need a tune to avoid issues.

Closed Thread

Tags
catted uel header, ft86speedfactory header, is my order ready yet?