follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

View Poll Results: Would you prefer a silver or black cover to the heat shield?
Silver 35 19.89%
Black 141 80.11%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Drives: BRZ Premium 6MT (SWP)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Injen Technology Intake and Exhaust (with dyno and pics)

Here is the finished intake, available in Polished and 'Wrinkle Black'.

Here is the dyno data from the intake, with 3rd and 4th gear pulls:

The exhaust isn't quite ready; they need to spend a couple more days working on the fitment and such.

Last edited by Symbiont; 07-13-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Post reorder
Symbiont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Symbiont For This Useful Post:
Dimman (07-10-2012), Fly Guy (07-10-2012), MarkRacerX (07-09-2012), MattR (07-13-2012), MindtheGap (07-11-2012), sidnacious (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Garage
EDIT: Moved from first to second post to put dyno and product pictures first.

So, my beautiful Delilah is down at Injen Technology again all week. The intake should be finalized this week, which means that units could start rolling out to distributors by the end of the month. Don’t quote me on this, but that sounds like a reasonable expectation.

The FR-S and BRZ are extremely efficient even at high intake temperatures, which is both really cool for us and really awkward for manufacturers, as the typical ‘colder and denser is better’ doesn’t necessarily show the gains, un-tuned, that you would expect of the car. I am not an automotive engineer, so I understood probably half of the discussion, but I know what I can hear and feel from the unit so far, and they definitely got something right. Response is smoother across the board, and once you pass about 2/5ths throttle, the intake noise is throaty and muscular. I LOVE cracking open the throttle now.

The intake doesn’t have a port for the sound tube, so a delete will be necessary. They did a ‘half delete’ on mine, keeping the tube to the compartment, but removing the port from the intake. I’ll show some pictures of that a bit later, when I get the car back.

The main reason my BRZ is there, though, is so they can finish the exhaust system. The catback is ~70% done, and is GORGEOUS. The merge collector and dual muffler setup ends in 4” polished slightly slant-cut resonated tips, and there is no drone at all. The tips perfectly fill out the cutouts for them in the car, and I’m really wondering how it would look with the OEM rear diffuser. Hmmm…

From the back, the exhaust looks menacing and clean. Injen is still deciding what to do for the downpipe and midpipe area; costs and gains need to be calculated. I really hope to have dyno graphs, pictures, and a couple videos by the end of the week. I am also hoping to have a duplicate prototype exhaust installed so I can do some real world road testing and show it off around town.

Rather than recount the whole company history for those not familiar with them, here's their 'about me' page:
http://www.injen.com/docs/injen/cont...tinjen_landing

The part I loved was this:
Quote:
Bringing together all phases of manufacturing under one roof proved to be the equation for unrivaled success.
Almost everything is done right in that building, minus a couple small heat shield fabrication pieces (and they are working on moving that in house, too, I think).

I arrived at their facility this morning before anyone showed up (traffic was light on the 57N), and snapped a few external shots:

Anyone who has been there knows that the area is covered with feral cats, most of whom were absolutely fearless and adorable. Sorry, I love cats.:

My BRZ ready for testing!:

I passed 3000 miles on the way up there (don’t worry, my passenger took the shot):

While I was waiting for my ride to pick me up, Adrian asked if I'd like a brief tour of their facility, and I was extremely impressed. 100% of R&D and production is handled right here in Pomona, and all the materials were sourced from the US, as well. These guys love the company and love what they do. Everyone was all smiles there, and a lot of the guys working on the metal came up to shake my hand and welcome me. Seriously impressed.

First, the tubing is delivered and stacked outside their workshop. They go through their stock extremely fast, as orders are constantly pouring in:

After the metal is mandrel bent (their machines handle up to 3.5”), they cut it all to specification here:

Then it goes off to these guys. These gentlemen do all the welding. Pretty much all their welds are actually double-sided, which increases the strength of the weld.

Here they are polishing some of the first welds. Each piece goes through numerous polishing processes (sometimes up to 4 or 5 different stages per piece):

All the MAF sensor mounting blocks are cut outside and prepped right on site:

Their turnaround time is awesome. They can have an intake or exhaust made from scratch in under an hour, depending.

Once the pieces are completed, they either go to Shipping and Receiving to go out to distributors, or go into their ‘light stock’ area. I think the black (rather than polished) are more popular, so I think they try to keep more of those on hand:

Here is one of the rough prototype intakes, ready for further testing! I smudged out the numbering in the pic because, honestly, I was concerned about posting too much proprietary info. The guys at Injen were all incredibly nice, as well as genuinely cool people, and I don’t want to do anything that may cause them any grief:

This is their exhaust dyno location. They are currently building a new work area for all of their intakes, with a separate dyno, but this is where the magic happens, now:

Some beautiful metal work outsourced to Injen from an (unnamed) vendor:

More workshop photos:

I really hope to have more pictures of the installed exhaust, as well as videos and dyno results this week. I can't promise anything because, frankly, these guys are insanely busy and I'm not going to wander around under foot. I wish I could spend more time there, but I'm just the guy who's letting them use his car, and becoming a huge fan-boi in the meantime.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SP1230 3RD GEAR PULL.pdf (54.9 KB, 347 views)
File Type: pdf SP1230 4TH GEAR PULL.pdf (73.5 KB, 292 views)

Last edited by Symbiont; 07-13-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Post reorder
Symbiont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Symbiont For This Useful Post:
MarkRacerX (07-13-2012), WatchmaN (08-18-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Calidrifter
@Executive_chicken

Drives: Firestorm FR-S, Audi A3 E-tron
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Could you ask if the intake will be tested by CARB? I know that they used to send their intakes for testing but I'm not 100% on it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
That guy, like me after BBQ Thursdays, is full of shit.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidrifter For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (07-10-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
WOULD IT KILL YOU TO RESIZE PICS?? THANKSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 07-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
Not his fault.

The forum software should re-size automatically, better yet there should be a plugin that should be added.

Looks good! You're at 3k miles already!
xjohnx (07-11-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidrifter View Post
Could you ask if the intake will be tested by CARB? I know that they used to send their intakes for testing but I'm not 100% on it anymore.
The intake will be CARB legal, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
Not his fault.

The forum software should re-size automatically, better yet there should be a plugin that should be added.

Looks good! You're at 3k miles already!
I actually did resize the pics, sorry... They were originally 5 times larger. I dropped them to 1280x960, which should fit any modern widescreen monitor, including laptops.

Mobile phones and such may be out of luck, though. :P

Yeah, I've had the car since 5/26, and already put over 3000 miles of almost exclusively street driving miles on it. Mostly up and down PCH and around Santiago Canyon.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Homeslice

Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT-SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Injen is an incredible brand. I have had intakes for my old ford focus, mercury cougar, and now my eclipse. They make a 3" exhuast for the eclispe that I am planning on getting, and it is the highest rated exhaust on the market for it. glad to see they are working on this platform, as I love Injen and hope everyone goes with their products
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Chupacabra
'it's the yeti of Texas'

Drives: 2013 Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post

You could use this, it would help all of us:

Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chupacabra For This Useful Post:
denkigrve (07-10-2012), lucchesi423 (07-17-2012), OrbitalEllipses (07-10-2012), WatchmaN (08-18-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Garage
R&D at Injen is curious as to whether people would prefer a silver or black heat shield cover. The heat shield itself will be black, and the tubing will be available in either black or polished.

Added poll to thread to help track, but feel free to add comments or questions and I'll pass them along.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
Cheddar
Saving them pennies...

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
How come intake developers are placing the MAF sensor so close to the TB?
Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
No clue, but I can ask.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Garage
Here is an example of what the silver would look like (on a different car). I should (hopefully) have pics of black tomorrow.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
Here's the response I got:

Quote:
You can position it anywhere you want, as long as it is nice and straight. During testing we tried all different positions, and noticed the most consistency when placed straight on the Throttle body.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
Symbiont
Tall guys fit, too.

Garage
Looks like more people are preferring black, at this point. Cleaner engine bay > more flash, maybe?