follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #29
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake;[URL="tel:258563"
258563[/URL]]Bro, I traded in my Z for the FRS two weeks ago. I have not thought about it once. Not once. I am so damn happy. The Z was fun and fast, but sloppy as hell. Her azz was all over the place.

I do not regret it one bit. I would do it 10/10 more times.
i feel like the frs will have the azz all over the place compared to the planted nature of the z. also, 10/10=1
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #30
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i feel like the frs will have the azz all over the place compared to the planted nature of the z. also, 10/10=1

From my experience it is not. The Z just doesn't handle well. I spent 3 years with it, and I never felt connected to the road.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake;[URL="tel:258620"
258620[/URL]]From my experience it is not. The Z just doesn't handle well. I spent 3 years with it, and I never felt connected to the road.
not being connected to the road and having the azz planted are two different things. thats all. im sure the frs has more feel and all, i just dont know how i would explain it
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #32
Z.Tune

Drives: E46 M3/Z34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
Bro, I traded in my Z for the FRS two weeks ago. I have not thought about it once. Not once. I am so damn happy. The Z was fun and fast, but sloppy as hell. Her azz was all over the place.

Quote:
i m not sure what "the azz all ove the place" means in fact.

but if u mean sideways, I guess the FRS is way easier to do so compare to the fat tire Z.
Z.Tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #33
Thunderchicken

Drives: 2008 STi
I can understand on not being able to really feel the road... My 2008 STi is fast but you can't really feel what is happening until it's understeer understeer understeer or when the back bounces left to right because of the rear suspension isn't quite there...
Thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #34
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
not being connected to the road and having the azz planted are two different things. thats all. im sure the frs has more feel and all, i just dont know how i would explain it
Road -> tires -> suspension -> chassis -> interior -> driver is the connection chain. "Azz plantedness" is determined by tires -> suspension -> chassis and is finally communicated to the driver through the interior; it has everything to do with the connection between road -> driver.

The tires and suspension on the Z are great but they are imbalanced by its less great chassis (not that it isn't great). The twins do a remarkable job at balancing the entire chain. Unlike the Z, it eliminates the feel of weight shifting as you turn. All the hype inflated my expectations and when I finally got behind the wheel of one, I still was blown away. It feels like magic. When you're driving around town you wonder why you don't hear scraping because it feels like your cruising just fractions of an inch off the ground. Then when you step out, it's perplexing to see so much ground clearance... Mind=f*cked. No words can explain the experience better than actually experiencing it. It's quite indescribable.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #35
Z.Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Road -> tires -> suspension -> chassis -> interior -> driver is the connection chain. "Azz plantedness" is determined by tires -> suspension -> chassis and is finally communicated to the driver through the interior; it has everything to do with the connection between road -> driver.

The tires and suspension on the Z are great but they are imbalanced by its less great chassis (not that it isn't great). The twins do a remarkable job at balancing the entire chain. Unlike the Z, it eliminates the feel of weight shifting as you turn. All the hype inflated my expectations and when I finally got behind the wheel of one, I still was blown away. It feels like magic. When you're driving around town you wonder why you don't hear scraping because it feels like your cruising just fractions of an inch off the ground. Then when you step out, it's perplexing to see so much ground clearance... Mind=f*cked. No words can explain the experience better than actually experiencing it. It's quite indescribable.
Can't wait to test drive
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #36
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
While I think the Twins will be fun, I think you are not going to like the change. As someone who has similar previous cars to you and owned a few Miatas, NA MR2, etc - its hard to go back to something that feels so gutless. The best advice IMO was the one given to wait for the STi version which we all know is coming, its just a matter of time. My daily drive is a Genesis Coupe 3.8, and while like the Z it feels big and heavy, its a good commuter and the torque makes it effortless when you aren't on a road that can be fun due to traffic. I'm seriously thinking about a Twin for daily driving and SCCA local events. I'm lucky this isn't my only car so I still do have a fun, not too underpowered sports car to drive when I feel like I need a bit more power. If I could only have one, I don't think the twins would be it. Good luck, let us know what you decide.
ABQautoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ABQautoxer For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #37
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You can have more comfortable sex in the FRS.

So yes, i would trade it.
Z.Tune (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #38
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
Bro, I traded in my Z for the FRS two weeks ago. I have not thought about it once. Not once. I am so damn happy. The Z was fun and fast, but sloppy as hell. Her azz was all over the place.

350? or 370?
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #39
Z.Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
You can have more comfortable sex in the FRS.

So yes, i would trade it.
LOL!!!! So true!!!! The Z is dang small for that huh?!?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #40
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.Tune View Post
i m not sure what "the azz all ove the place" means in fact.

but if u mean sideways, I guess the FRS is way easier to do so compare to the fat tire Z.
What I meant was it was very sloppy. The Z was very sloppy. The FRS is not.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #41
BioRage

Drives: ~_~
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Twin Turbo + COILS + Wheels + I/E/H on the Z, try that, than contemplate on the BRZ or FRS.

There's a video here..

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7890

Watch that, the corners he does are amazing, and he takes them at such high speed, but on the straight away, just get blown away, and passed by 3-4 cars.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BioRage For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-17-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #42
helloimgil

Drives: 13 Whiteout / 09 R6 [BRZ is gone!]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
My sixth sense tells me that you have already made up your mind and want to go from the Z to the BRZ/FRS. Here are my suggestions since I actually got rid of a car to get the BRZ.

1) Test drive one. and right after drive your Z for comparison.
2) Think of what you value more. Some may place a premium on power, acceleration, how much HP, passing speed on the highway. Others value agility, how connected you are with the road, or even simply how the car looks. Others may not even care about those and just want high quality interior and smooth ride.

My experience:
I had a 2009 IS 250 that I sold in order to get my BRZ. The comfort and luxury were nice but I never felt a connection with the car. The IS 250 was just a daily driver car and I never really felt like it was MY car, just a method of transportation. I appreciated it for what it did but never once did I say, damn I just feel like driving. I used to feel that way when I owned a CRX and later a Prelude (I just have a love for sports cars).
Many questioned my decision, including myself - why would you go from an 09 IS 250 to a sub 30k sports car without ever test driving it, let alone seeing it in person? it only has 200 hp, why dont you just get the new mustang. are you nuts?
Well... Yes
Once I saw all the reviews and also a few comparisons on how it handled like a CRX, I was sold. My CRX was the funnest car I owned. It was not fast (unless u dropped in an Integ engine in it), it was not luxurious, it was not roomy... yet that didn't matter much to me. I valued the driving experience and this is EXACTLY what I get with my BRZ and I could not have been happier. I expected to have some sort of remorse on my decision but thankfully that is not the case.

Good luck with whichever way you decide!
helloimgil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to helloimgil For This Useful Post:
Z.Tune (06-17-2012)