follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #9059
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoast View Post
Yeah, I figured I would keep an eye on the voltage meter in the car to see if it struggles to get back to 28.4v.

I hope they continue to work fine. It would suck to have to buy new batteries. I still cant believe I dropped the wrench and it just happened to fall perfectly straight onto the other side. What bad luck that was.

Trust me... I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:06 PM   #9060
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Alright, I have joined the ESC party.

I just completed my install and took a spin around the block. WOW! This is how the car should have felt from the factory.

It took me approximately 2.5 hours to complete the install. That includes accidentally dropping my socket wrench on the dump packs and creating a circuit which shot sparks everywhere and melted part of the wrench and bolts. I needed to run down to ACE for new bolts.

The only real issue I had with the kit (aside from my own dumb mistake mentioned above), is the hose leading from the air box to the compressor is too long. I tried to cut it, but I had too much difficulty doing so with my primitive tools (I broke my only pair of scissors the other day and my x-acto blade has a rounded tip. I ultimately gave up on cutting it shorter. You will see in my photos that the compressor really needs to be shifted over about 1/4 of an inch to line up perfectly.

Other than that, the install went smooth.

My ghetto cutting did not work:

This is my only concern. This red cable touches the heat sink on the main controller box. I tried moving it but there is no way to position it where it does not touch.

My poor socket wrench:

Overall, the kit is very well put together and very easy to install. I look forward to picking up the proceed controller in a month or two.
What would you compare the extra power too? Large V6? V8?
stevo585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:19 AM   #9061
btoast

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo585 View Post
What would you compare the extra power too? Large V6? V8?
It's not push you back in your seat fast. I've never had a V6 or V8 car, but it does remind me of my turbo Audi A3 in terms of acceleration.

The best way to describe this kit is 'there is no want for power.' Basically the torque dip is gone and there is a very nice, consistent, smooth pull that takes you all the way through the rev limit.

It's hard to explain other than stating that it feels how the car should have come from the factory. It does not feel tuner like a turbo or regular supercharger would feel. It just feels good. And honestly, makes you feel a lot more confident driving the car.
btoast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btoast For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-26-2015), Gums (07-26-2015), stevo585 (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 02:34 AM   #9062
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It's not push you back in your seat fast. I've never had a V6 or V8 car, but it does remind me of my turbo Audi A3 in terms of acceleration.

The best way to describe this kit is 'there is no want for power.' Basically the torque dip is gone and there is a very nice, consistent, smooth pull that takes you all the way through the rev limit.

It's hard to explain other than stating that it feels how the car should have come from the factory. It does not feel tuner like a turbo or regular supercharger would feel. It just feels good. And honestly, makes you feel a lot more confident driving the car.
If you can get yourself to an e85 pump, this part will change.

Closest stations are in Ontario and Upland.

http://propelfuels.com/locations/
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 02:39 AM   #9063
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
If you can get yourself to an e85 pump, this part will change.

Closest stations are in Ontario and Upland.

http://propelfuels.com/locations/

I agree. E85 is the way to go with this car. Though Ontario will be a bit of a drive from riverside.

I'm lucky enough that I have a spot about a mile away.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #9064
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Alright, I have joined the ESC party.

I just completed my install and took a spin around the block. WOW! This is how the car should have felt from the factory.

It took me approximately 2.5 hours to complete the install. That includes accidentally dropping my socket wrench on the dump packs and creating a circuit which shot sparks everywhere and melted part of the wrench and bolts. I needed to run down to ACE for new bolts.

The only real issue I had with the kit (aside from my own dumb mistake mentioned above), is the hose leading from the air box to the compressor is too long. I tried to cut it, but I had too much difficulty doing so with my primitive tools (I broke my only pair of scissors the other day and my x-acto blade has a rounded tip. I ultimately gave up on cutting it shorter. You will see in my photos that the compressor really needs to be shifted over about 1/4 of an inch to line up perfectly.

Other than that, the install went smooth.

My ghetto cutting did not work:

This is my only concern. This red cable touches the heat sink on the main controller box. I tried moving it but there is no way to position it where it does not touch.

My poor socket wrench:

Overall, the kit is very well put together and very easy to install. I look forward to picking up the proceed controller in a month or two.

I was gonna give you some crap about not having to modify the kit. So I went out to measure my tubing and I noticed that mine is too long too! Notice that the tube is crammed on as far as it can go. See the tab on the right that acts as a stop. You can see that the compressor is clearly offset to the left.
But it's been that way for a long time now and it seems to work just fine. So I'm not going to screw with it.
Attached Images

WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #9065
j_Zer0

Drives: Asphalt FRS 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_Zer0 View Post
I also got this model of Procede. Judging by Sojhinn's install video, the two green wires hook up to the ECU, the metal loop is the ground, the serial connection is for laptop hookup and the red wire is power. This leaves me with one problem:

How am I to connect my Procede with my ESC controller? After all, the wiring that connects my ESC controller to my throttle switch doesn't have an audio jack (I have a recent v2 kit). When I asked Fenton about this he said the new kits have different connections that should hook right up to the
Procede. But how? It looks like the only option is to have a male audio jack that would hook up to the black female audio port seen in the picture.

Any thoughts @fenton @Sojhinn ?
@Shiv@Openflash,

Can you confirm that the red wire on the latest Procede units is for power? I'm only wondering because the wire is far too short to stretch from the Procede's location behind the glovebox to the fuse box (where I was planning to tap the ESC voltage display's fuse wire as per Sojhinn's install video). The red wire on my Procede is maybe 2 feet long -- I think I'd need twice this to make it close to the fuse box. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #9066
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_Zer0 View Post
@Shiv@Openflash,

Can you confirm that the red wire on the latest Procede units is for power? I'm only wondering because the wire is far too short to stretch from the Procede's location behind the glovebox to the fuse box (where I was planning to tap the ESC voltage display's fuse wire as per Sojhinn's install video). The red wire on my Procede is maybe 2 feet long -- I think I'd need twice this to make it close to the fuse box. Thanks.

Here's the thing... I think shiv has one set of procedes for both the miatas and the ft86. So it looks like we need to move the procede to the driver side. Or you can tap the cigarette lighter in the glovebox.

Installed Mods:
Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #9067
SOAZ

Drives: pinto
Okay guys, not trying to sell this in this thread, but wanting to give a heads up to all the folks who are obsessed with this great kit like I was.

I appreciate all of the knowledge the folks in this thread and others have been working so hard to put out there. It's time for me to suffer over an air cooled engine for hours and see if I can bring this car back to good running shape.

I have the whole package available together or in pieces.
OFT, OFH, Perrin panel filter, Phantom TQ250 kit with batteries. I'll be posting it in a minute in the classifieds.
Attached Images

SOAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SOAZ For This Useful Post:
LucidMomentum (07-27-2015), Sojhinn (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #9068
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAZ View Post
Okay guys, not trying to sell this in this thread, but wanting to give a heads up to all the folks who are obsessed with this great kit like I was.

I appreciate all of the knowledge the folks in this thread and others have been working so hard to put out there. It's time for me to suffer over an air cooled engine for hours and see if I can bring this car back to good running shape.

I have the whole package available together or in pieces.

OFT, OFH, Perrin panel filter, Phantom TQ250 kit with batteries. I'll be posting it in a minute in the classifieds.

Good luck bro. Please keep us in the loop.

Installed Mods:
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
SOAZ (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #9069
alex345
FRS610

Drives: Scion- Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to alex345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
I can do one tomorrow. Anything specific?

1-60 maybe Just want to see how it looks inside cabin, the proceed probably gives it that natural feel
alex345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #9070
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

That's exactly how I would describe it. In the stock form it feels like you have good power up to the dip then suddenly you run out almost immediately. The ESC w/ Procede picks up at the dip and makes the car feel like you have the full range of your throttle and it just keeps getting more and more power going up.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #9071
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
That's exactly how I would describe it. In the stock form it feels like you have good power up to the dip then suddenly you run out almost immediately. The ESC w/ Procede picks up at the dip and makes the car feel like you have the full range of your throttle and it just keeps getting more and more power going up.

How is it coming out of corners? I often have to downshift during a corner to make sure I "skip" the torque dip coming out of it or else I look stupid when I have to floor it in order to keep my speed up.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #9072
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post
How is it coming out of corners? I often have to downshift during a corner to make sure I "skip" the torque dip coming out of it or else I look stupid when I have to floor it in order to keep my speed up.
What torque dip? FI eliminates torque dip. As long as the ESC is running, there shouldn't be a torque dip, if there is, there is something wrong with the tune.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive