follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HKS front pipe or dual resonated front pipe

Front pipe is the final piece of exhaust I'm obsessing about.

Anyone run the HKS FP, or have a custom FP with dual resonators? The catback I'm going with (Corsa) is resonated, very quiet. I plan to get the OFH (catless header). I want no rasp/drone, or very very little. Berk catted FP is an option. Seen too many issues with the Nameless combo piece.

It sounds so good...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdVCUKEqFLw#t=162"]SCION FR-S HKS EXHAUST SOUND - YouTube[/ame]
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
i'm in the smae boat looking for that op/fp pipes and am thinking cated + resonateor + res in my midpipe. the nameless piece is hwat has my eye, i havne't really looked into it though, what issues are keeping you from it?

any links to where to get the HKS res pipe?
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Yamaha_R6

Drives: V8 280Z || AP2 S2K
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
i'm in the smae boat looking for that op/fp pipes and am thinking cated + resonateor + res in my midpipe. the nameless piece is hwat has my eye, i havne't really looked into it though, what issues are keeping you from it?

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/hks-...-pipe-666.html

If you get it, let me know how you like it. I have the Nameless fp/op combo but may replace with the HKS and different op.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

which nameless do you have, the res/cat one? honest review please. i'll have the perrin res catback and a tomei header most likely.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
Yamaha_R6

Drives: V8 280Z || AP2 S2K
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
which nameless do you have, the res/cat one? honest review please. i'll have the perrin res catback and a tomei header most likely.
I have the catted + Helmholtz resonated pipe. The fitment is a little too close for comfort. Also, above 3k RPM the sound gets a little tinny. Here is some feedback on the Nameless fp/op combo: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61188.

By the way, you are going to love your Perrin resonated catback
Old 06-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
unsurety
aeiou

Quote:

The Nameless piece seems to have the most issues reported regarding rattles. Unfortunately I live in CA so I'd like something with ease of install, even if it means I have to buy an extra gasket and risk an extra potential leak area. Yes... I'm that OCD. With a separate OP, you can at least wedge that part up to give you that much more wiggle room.

The only vendor I've found that carries the HKS FP is FT86SF. Others may carry it as well. http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/hks-...-pipe-666.html

oops, was a little slow to respond, but yeah...
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
Old 06-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
Front pipe is the final piece of exhaust I'm obsessing about.
Quote:
i'm in the smae boat looking for that op/fp pipes and am thinking cated + resonateor + res in my midpipe
I am running the MagnaFlow catted and resonated front pipe. It's 2.5" and stainless. Didn't allow ANY rasp or drone and sounds great with my JDL UEL, 2.5" overpipe, stock midpipe, and WORKS muffled axleback.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YtKnGSs74M"]Subaru BRZ stationary revs: JDL UEL Header + MagnaFlow Catted & Resonated Front Pipe - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 06-18-2014 at 05:10 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
unsurety (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
unsurety
aeiou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
I am running the MagnaFlow catted and resonated front pipe. It's 2.5" and stainless. Didn't allow ANY rasp or drone and sounds great with my JDL UEL, 2.5" overpipe, stock midpipe, and WORKS muffled axleback.

dude... totally forgot about that! I remember your thread now

The spot welds and incomplete welds around the piping bothered me. But it looks like the production version is much better looking than the pre-pro! Hmmm.
The Following User Says Thank You to unsurety For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
dude... totally forgot about that! I remember your thread now

The spot welds and incomplete welds around the piping bothered me. But it looks like the production version is much better looking than the pre-pro! Hmmm.
Bunch more detailed pics here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...70#post1727270

For $380 shipped I'm pretty happy with it.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #10
unsurety
aeiou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Bunch more detailed pics here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...70#post1727270

For $380 shipped I'm pretty happy with it.
Where'd you get it at for that price?!?

I went on Amazon as you mentioned in the thread, and it's like $435 (Magnaflow 51933)
Old 06-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Quote:
Where'd you get it at for that price?!?

I went on Amazon as you mentioned in the thread, and it's like $435 (Magnaflow 51933)
I got it from Stillen when they were running a 15% off all Magnaflow parts discount code. I heard that Amazon was throwing around 25% off MF exhaust codes as well but I never managed to receive one.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #12
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

bump this...i'll be going HKS header, tomei OP, HKS dual resonated FP (will be adding cat) and have resonated 2.5 perrin.

should be done in a month or so
Old 02-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
bump this...i'll be going HKS header, tomei OP, HKS dual resonated FP (will be adding cat) and have resonated 2.5 perrin.

should be done in a month or so
this is similar to what i had planned. HKS header, perrin OP, ark resonated catless front pip, resonated perrin 2.5.

i ended up selling the hks header before putting it on as if i do get a header i'll opt for the tomei UEL.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #14
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
this is similar to what i had planned. HKS header, perrin OP, ark resonated catless front pip, resonated perrin 2.5.

i ended up selling the hks header before putting it on as if i do get a header i'll opt for the tomei UEL.
i'm really hoping it will not be loud. if its loud i'll go back to stock catback i'm too old for this bullshit now. i want quiet.

Tags
exhaust, front pipe, hks, resonated, resonator