follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List
Katana, TemeCal

Old 01-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
applekash

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Getting Sirius XM in the NEW Headunit.

I have the following head unit which came in the Scion FRS Series 10:

However, I cannot find a solution for adding Sirius XM to this new head unit through a receiver. I used to have the Scion 2013 with the first model BeSpoke and was able to add Siriux Xm using Katanas directions with the receiver mentioned here (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=39)

However, this receiver does not work with this NEW head unit for some reason. I disconnected my nav (harmon) and tried it and still did not work....Probably not compatible with the new head unit.

Any ideas?
applekash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is it still using the funny 4 or 5 pin little flat harness? (descriptive right? But if you did it yourself you know what I mean) the vais tech emulator I used needed to be Programmed, dunno if the fit kit did too? I am interested to see. I thought about trying what you did there too
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I do not see sirusxm ready printed on the hu anywhere, your sure that hu supports sirusxm?
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I noticed you tagged me. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if your HU is SiriusXM capable/ready. It appears to be the same HU as all of the other 2014 Scions, so you may want to research those as well.

I assume you have an "audio or input" screen? Does it have Sirius/XM/Satellite as an option? If it's a grayed out option, then you should be able to add satellite. On my base 2013 HU, I have a "Satellite" button. If you don't have any "Satellite" buttons, then you may be out of luck.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Edit: Looking at the "Audio" screen, I don't see a satellite option grayed out:
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
cfordart

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
my experience with this...

I just went thru this a few weeks ago with my 2014 with the base touchscreen headunit. Local stereo place couldn't get their Sirius kit to work with it....headunit just didn't have a way for a satellite input to work.

So I took it to the dealer, they said they had a kit (looked just the the pieces that the stereo place had) that they said some other dealerships had gotten to work. After a day's work... no-go. Dealership ended up contacting the place that had told them it would work and...oh, sorry, we were wrong....the base touchscreen unit on the 2014 frs will not accept a satellite input. End of story. Just will not work with this unit.

Oh, they could put in a 2013 frs unit (non-touchscreen) that would take satellite, but it would still cost $400 for the kit and about $300 for installation. Or they could install a BeSpoke (big $). For less than that price I can get an aftermarket Pioneer that will work with satellite.

So now I'm left with either doing without, adding a satellite antenna and hooking my old Sirius Starmate into the aux plug, or getting an aftermarket headunit.

Can't understand why they would upgrade the headunit from '13 to a touchscreen for '14, but downgrade the flexibility of it to accept satellite. Stupid.
cfordart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #6
DOTman05

Drives: Evo 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There is a oem add on xm radio kit coming out soon
I'll post part numbers tomorrow when I get to work if you guys want them
DOTman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
cfordart

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTman05 View Post
Would appreciate any info to make this work. Thanks!
cfordart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #8
SilverTipp

Drives: Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTman05 View Post
Did anything ever come of this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
SilverTipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
Scavanger
Avid searcher of things

Drives: Scion Fr-s 10 series
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I was talking to a rep about this as well it's supposed to be with the bespoke add on, it's basically an extra modual that plugs in to the uh and unlocks hidden features and items
Scavanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #10
AncientCityFRS
Poker Player

Drives: FRS Release 1.0
Anyone have updates on this ?
AncientCityFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
AncientCityFRS
Poker Player

This still has me perplexed
Old 04-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #12
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I recently bought the updated pioneer touchscreen 2015 HU from another member on here as an upgrade over the original 2013 pioneer unit, mainly because I want to add a backup camera and I like the look of it. I have a lifetime subscription, so obviously keeping that functionality is important to me.

From what I have been able to determine, there are two possible ways to get Siriusxm on the new headunit, but it is not clear to me if it can be done on the premium version as well (although I have a hard time understanding why that would be).

Method 1: http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Manual_GSR-011.pdf The VAIS GSR-011 interface kit connects a SiriusXM tuner to the headunit via the USB port. So, essentially you would install the kit, and run a USB cable to the USB input.

Method 2: The Adiovox SATSTREAMER kit connects to the SiriusXM tuner, and then connects to the headunit via bluetooth. The sync button is installed in the glove box. This is a new product which is only available from the dealerships. The part number for the whole kit is 00016-00950 and comes with a satellite radio tuner. I found the installation instructions online (attached), and the only place I have found to buy it is here: http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/pr...-xm-tuner-2015

As far as I can determine, these are the only ways to get siriusxm on the new HU.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 00016-00950frs_toyota_mcdonough.pdf (1.32 MB, 339 views)
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaetagnath For This Useful Post:
AncientCityFRS (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #13
AncientCityFRS
Poker Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaetagnath View Post
I recently bought the updated pioneer touchscreen 2015 HU from another member on here as an upgrade over the original 2013 pioneer unit, mainly because I want to add a backup camera and I like the look of it. I have a lifetime subscription, so obviously keeping that functionality is important to me.

From what I have been able to determine, there are two possible ways to get Siriusxm on the new headunit, but it is not clear to me if it can be done on the premium version as well (although I have a hard time understanding why that would be).

Method 1: http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Manual_GSR-011.pdf The VAIS GSR-011 interface kit connects a SiriusXM tuner to the headunit via the USB port. So, essentially you would install the kit, and run a USB cable to the USB input.

Method 2: The Adiovox SATSTREAMER kit connects to the SiriusXM tuner, and then connects to the headunit via bluetooth. The sync button is installed in the glove box. This is a new product which is only available from the dealerships. The part number for the whole kit is 00016-00950 and comes with a satellite radio tuner. I found the installation instructions online (attached), and the only place I have found to buy it is here: http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/pr...-xm-tuner-2015

As far as I can determine, these are the only ways to get siriusxm on the new HU.

Let me know how you make out with the option you select. Where in FL are you?
Old 04-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientCityFRS View Post
Let me know how you make out with the option you select. Where in FL are you?
I'm all the way across the state from you, in Naples. Looks like both options will not work for me since they have connectors for the newer siriusXM tuners. I have the old one (SC-C1). However, I found this thing http://www.mo-co-so.com/MJS-Gadgets-...s-mjs-scc1.htm which I think might work. I'll update when I get it. If that doesn't work, I'll either go back to my original 2013 pioneer HU, or try the old Bespoke, which is satellite ready. Its a shame, because I installed the new pioneer HU, and I really like it other than the satellite radio issue.
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote