follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #463
Juan_Ri

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
😥... After 6 months with my Scion, taillights shows condensation in both. Got an apointment with the dealers to see if there is a needto change them...
Juan_Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #464
Khánh

Drives: sc00ter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiakai View Post
So guess what came back after about 4,000 miles
that sux.. it looks like you painted them too? what will you do? get new ones and then repaint?
Khánh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #465
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khánh View Post
that sux.. it looks like you painted them too? what will you do? get new ones and then repaint?
No, that's actually vinyl wrap
Old 12-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #466
JonnyRocket
"New hotness"

Drives: WRB Limited MT BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
So I got mine replaced on Monday. Gresham Subaru was great to deal with. They didn't ask for any proof of condensation, ordered the parts after a quick phone call, and the install only took ~30-40 min. It was clear they've done this a few times.

On another note, I told them I had crickets, but was waiting for a real fix. They agreed, saying they've replaced a few HPFP only to have the noise come back after a few hundred miles in all 3 cases.

Replaced with a 2013 Mazdaspeed3!
JonnyRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #467
ScionFrsFan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Went to the dealer for tails today. They told me Toyota is aware and looking for a fix and they will call me when they hear some news.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #468
vwong

Drives: Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Went to Doxon Toyota in Auburn last Friday. They needed pictures of it to send to corporate. Just got a call today and they will be replacing both tail lights but said they would not replace them again unless a recall was issued (i could have heard wrong). Also getting ECU reflashed next Thursday so i'll update on that.
vwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #469
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Looks like a safety hazard to me. Is there actually a tsb for this? Number? My dealer could not find one but wants to fix it.

Sent from my flux capacitor using Taptalk
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #470
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yruyur View Post
Looks like a safety hazard to me. Is there actually a tsb for this? Number? My dealer could not find one but wants to fix it.

Sent from my flux capacitor using Taptalk
Even if they can't find the TSB for it... Isn't this covered under warranty? (Assuming this leaky tail light is yours)

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #471
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
I was getting the condensation/water drops in my pass side tail light just like everyone else. My situation is a little more complex as I have painted red tail lights that I got from a FRS. So as long as I only have the problem on one side I'd rather not get a replacement tail light as then I'd have one red tail and one clear one, at least until I were to get it repainted again. I might take it in when both have the condensation problem, and get them both replaced at once.

But for the time being I did a quick fix that got rid of all the water/condensation inside. You will need to remove the tail light and then unplug/unscrew the turn signal bulb and the side marker bulb from the tail housing. That gives you two holes to work with. I also removed the foam gasket from the back of the tail light housing to make it easier to access the holes for the next steps.

I then tilted and twisted the tail light until all the water inside pooled up in one spot, and then tilted it until it more or less centered in the middle of the tail light as it lays flat face down. You then insert a twisted/rolled up paper towel through the turn signal bulb hole to soak up as much of the water as possible. Be careful not to stick all of the towel in there as you need to be able to pull everything back out. And be careful not to leave any bits of towel or other debris inside the tail light.

Once that is done, use a small hair dryer to blow hot air into one of the holes. You will feel the air coming out of the other hole so you know it is circulating inside and around the tail light housing. If you did a good job soaking up as much water as you can before this step, then it will not take too long (maybe 10 min) to circulate enough hot air to dry up all the remaining water drops inside. For good measure I alternated between the two holes to let more hot air get into each end of the tail light. Once everything was nice and dry I replaced the bulbs and the foam gasket, and put the tail light back on the car. I will have to wait until the next rain or car wash to see if the fix is only temporary or if the condensation/water will return, but for now the tail light is back to being nice and dry.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #472
twincamRob

Drives: 2013 FS FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
I will have to wait until the next rain or car wash to see if the fix is only temporary or if the condensation/water will return, but for now the tail light is back to being nice and dry.
I tried that this summer once and also let them sit 'holes up' in the sun for a whole day once. It saved them for a while but it eventually came back.

One thing I did notice was when I had the light out with the bulbs in and the pool of water still inside, I rotated the light all around to see where it would come out and the only place I could get it to come out was around the bulb sockets. I also could not find any cracks anywhere, around the studs or anything.

I'm thinking there maybe needs to be a gasket around the bulb sockets...
Instagram: @twincamrob
twincamRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #473
mikeg7827

Drives: 1995 Ford Probe
IF YOU HAVE STANDING WATER INSIDE THE TAIL LIGHT OR AN OVER ABUNDANCE OF WATER DROPLETS, OR CONDENSATION... THERE IS A SIMPLE FIX.

Answer: have them reorder tail lights for you. LOL

ANYONE RECEIVING ANY KIND OF PUSHBACK FROM THE DEALER/SERVICE SHOP should immediately call The Scion Customer Experience Line at 866-707-2466 and let them know about this. They have Case Managers all over the United States that want to make sure that people are happy with their scions. I worked with a guy named Greg and he was fantastic. He called me back more than the Service Advisor did and he even called back when he said he would! They will work with your dealer, can even check to make sure the dealer ordered the replacement parts and can follow up with you to tell you when they have been shipped & time in process/turn around time. After that, your dealer should offer you a loaner car while your tail lights are being replaced especially if they are asking to keep the car the whole day or half day as i got with mine.

I even went in with the TSB, but the Scion Customer Experience line knows about the TSB and can even forward it to the dealer, call the parts manager, etc.
mikeg7827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #474
mikeg7827

Drives: 1995 Ford Probe
ANYONE RECEIVING ANY KIND OF PUSHBACK FROM THE DEALER/SERVICE SHOP should immediately call The Scion Customer Experience Line at:
866-707-2466

sorry for the repost but i want to make sure everyone knows there is hope

And if you have issues with water/condensation with the warranty replacement lights, go through this process again... call scion experience team etc.. and i think the more warranty repairs they have to correct the faster Toyota/Scion/Subaru will work to remedy this or create a permanent solution if needed (at least my $.02)
mikeg7827 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeg7827 For This Useful Post:
adprokid (12-07-2013), calis5nest (12-29-2012), jschendel (01-01-2013)
Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #475
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twincamRob View Post
I tried that this summer once and also let them sit 'holes up' in the sun for a whole day once. It saved them for a while but it eventually came back.

One thing I did notice was when I had the light out with the bulbs in and the pool of water still inside, I rotated the light all around to see where it would come out and the only place I could get it to come out was around the bulb sockets. I also could not find any cracks anywhere, around the studs or anything.

I'm thinking there maybe needs to be a gasket around the bulb sockets...
Yeah the tail is designed in such a way that the water won't just pour out easily. I also saw the openings around the sockets. Isn't the foam gasket supposed to be what keeps water out of there?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #476
sivajith

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtndrws View Post
I got home with my FR-S yesterday and noticed condensation on the inside of the tail light:

OH NOES!

Anyone else experienced this? It still hasn't gone away this morning. I think the tail light assembly has a bad seal or something...
I may be late to this blog. I happen to score a demo subi Brz (we only get 200 a year in Australia). It had the condensation on driver side tail gate. I have asked
the dealer to replace it. But after looking at the amount of people complaining I may look to see if there any rust damage.
sivajith is offline   Reply With Quote