follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #43
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
I highly doubt they gonna make a coupe & not call it Impreza.
Name 'SVX' ring any bells? Impreza's an Impreza, this is COMPLETELY different. Their history of dedicated platform coupes is simply XT and SVX. Unless they're going to make a sedan and wagon version as well, there's no way it's going to be called an Impreza.

As for those speculating on Japanese names for the Subaru variant, doubtful. Look at Subaru's naming history here. XT, Loyale, Justy, Legacy, Impreza, SVX. I would like them to revive the 'Alcyone' (JDM name for the SVX) name for this car here. It's got to do with the name of one of the stars in the constellation that's in their logo.

My .02
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #44
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,049 Times in 8,324 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Name 'SVX' ring any bells? Impreza's an Impreza, this is COMPLETELY different. Their history of dedicated platform coupes is simply XT and SVX. Unless they're going to make a sedan and wagon version as well, there's no way it's going to be called an Impreza.

As for those speculating on Japanese names for the Subaru variant, doubtful. Look at Subaru's naming history here. XT, Loyale, Justy, Legacy, Impreza, SVX. I would like them to revive the 'Alcyone' (JDM name for the SVX) name for this car here. It's got to do with the name of one of the stars in the constellation that's in their logo.

My .02
Yeah but when did SVX had the H4 Engine? SVX was amazing cuz it was coupe w H6. I bet, IF Subaru name their FT86c into SVX, a lot of SVX owner & fan will be upset (that including me)... but if Subaru put H6 engine instead of H4, that's totally different story (new H6 head design from Toyota style H4 head with 1L & 2 cylinders more... I can only dream how much Tq & Hp gonna have).

Also, I rather called to be Justy instead of SVX, if they don't wanna name it Impreza
Old 06-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #45
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Yeah but when did SVX had the H4 Engine? SVX was amazing cuz it was coupe w H6. I bet, IF Subaru name their FT86c into SVX, a lot of SVX owner & fan will be upset (that including me)... but if Subaru put H6 engine instead of H4, that's totally different story
My point was more along the lines that, because it is a coupe platform independent of any other it will NOT be called an Impreza. The SVX was also a coupe not shared with any other Subaru platform. Therefore my logic is that, much like the introduction of the SVX, it will get its own name.

As for if they name it 'Alcyone', I don't know how many SVX owners would care. SVX was not a big seller here and maybe they would see it as a respectful tribute?

But in all honesty I doubt it will be named 'Alcyone' either, I just like the name and the history with Subaru. Maybe there's another star in the 'Seven Sisters' constellation that they could name it after?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #46
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Here are some names of other stars in the Pleiades star cluster:

Sterope, Merope, Electra, Maia, Taygete, Celaeno, Alcyone, Atlas, Pleione.

Anything car-suitable?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #47
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I thought the FT-86 is built off a modified Impreza chassis?
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #48
msrobley

Drives: None
Here's my opinion on the name:

FR-S sounds pretty gay with the S on the end. Why not keep a bit of the concept name and make it FR-86?
msrobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #49
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly.Andrew View Post
I thought the FT-86 is built off a modified Impreza chassis?
How modified though? Wasn't this thing supposed to be a front mid-engine rear drive layout? I know the 'official' specs thread says a modified Impreza but really? The issue I have is that all modern Subarus have extremely front mounted engines, it has to do with how the AWD transmissions are laid out. Basically the Subaru AWD trannies look like conventional longitudinal RWD transmission with two axles sticking out of it. Because of this the motor HAS to be mounted ahead of the wheels. This is one of the reasons they went with the H4 engines, to minimize weight in front of the front axles.

Now if this car is just a pretty, RWD Impreza and still has the motor hung way out front, that may dampen a bit of my enthusiasm. If is the 'same' platform in the way that a Nissan 350Z and Infinity FX45 are the same, and they've moved the motor back as far as it will go and there are other considerable changes between this and the 'regular' Impreza then things will be smooth sailing.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #50
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
I understand what you mean. Thats a very valid point you bring up.
It actually has me very curious now, how modified is the chassis.... hrmmm

its easy to use the 350z and FX45 as an example, because they are existing vehicles. We could just pop under the hood and check things out.

Damn concepts don't give us that luxury lol.
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #51
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,049 Times in 8,324 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
My point was more along the lines that, because it is a coupe platform independent of any other it will NOT be called an Impreza. The SVX was also a coupe not shared with any other Subaru platform. Therefore my logic is that, much like the introduction of the SVX, it will get its own name.

As for if they name it 'Alcyone', I don't know how many SVX owners would care. SVX was not a big seller here and maybe they would see it as a respectful tribute?

But in all honesty I doubt it will be named 'Alcyone' either, I just like the name and the history with Subaru. Maybe there's another star in the 'Seven Sisters' constellation that they could name it after?
You know, we can disagree with each other, but I have only seen the vid in the Nur track Subaru ver of FT86c and it was just hunk of Impreza welded together without spec of AWD or RWD. There's millions of rumor bout it, so let's wait til official Subaru ppl gotta say.

Quote:
Here are some names of other stars in the Pleiades star cluster:

Sterope, Merope, Electra, Maia, Taygete, Celaeno, Alcyone, Atlas, Pleione.

Anything car-suitable?
If Subaru gonna bring another car into their production line, I'll vote for Maia or Celaeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrobley View Post
Here's my opinion on the name:

FR-S sounds pretty gay with the S on the end. Why not keep a bit of the concept name and make it FR-86?
FR-86 sound better... but at the same time, 86 was FR, so I don't see any reason for them to put FR in front of 86
Old 06-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #52
bigbcraig

Drives: 2013 BRZ / 2015 WRX
I would've preferred "FR-2" rather than FR-S. Maybe use FR-S as the TRD model, but at least here in the US it would seem more familiar (From the MR-2) and isn't only numbers, which is a bit generic.

With edgy styling and the name FRS, people might think its an Acura... eek!
bigbcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #53
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
If they did a turbo version it could be FRST. First!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #54
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
honestly, i dont care what they call it, i just hope it comes to australia. and i hope that they dont jack the price way up, i mean u all know that the rumored target price is 23000 usd, i hope that that doesnt translate to 40000 aud with the coorporates jacking the price up. there is also the FT-HS to look forward to.. no?
70NYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:44 PM   #55
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbcraig View Post
I would've preferred "FR-2" rather than FR-S. Maybe use FR-S as the TRD model, but at least here in the US it would seem more familiar (From the MR-2) and isn't only numbers, which is a bit generic.

With edgy styling and the name FRS, people might think its an Acura... eek!
Except to make sense it would have to be the FR-2+2

Seriously, Celica or Trueno or whatever would have been much better...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
there is also the FT-HS to look forward to.. no?
No... at least not to the best of my knowledge.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #56
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
ahh hell... oh well, i wouldnt of bought a auto any way.. the 216A looks very nice, subi did some nice things to it with the wider arches (as per their usual recipe), but the G-sport is something to look forward to, regardless if it comes with carbon or just ABS parts, the overall car is unfucking beleivable, i only saw the FT-86 2 days ago for the 1st time and if it comes here to Australia i will be definately getting one (unless they completly go ff the track with what they had in the concept, prefirabely with a turbo if the fully blown sports version ever comes out)

but who cares what the name is in the end.. if it comes out with FR-S then take that off and stick a hachiroku badge on there :p i probably will.
70NYD is offline   Reply With Quote