follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #15
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
It is also possible that he doesn't have full coverage insurance since its paid off.

Also it is possible that this happened at a track (so the insurance may not cover it).

The real question...if given the chance to hit the reset button...do you want to rebuild it or do YOU want something different?

If its not totaled, I would have the insurance fix the car.

If you had insurance on your modifications (most people don't though) you have a tougher decision.

Either way, good luck.

I have liability not full coverage, accident occurred on freeway entrance idk what happened the I felt the rear started sliding so I tried to counter steer but it kept sliding. I wasn't driving fast, just like I normally do when I leave work. It slide into a small tree or bush or something was panicking at the time. This is why I'm not sure weather insurance will cover or not but just generally looking at this I assume they won't since.. liability only.. I'm waiting on the adjustor to call or come down to see what they can do
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #16
surfwaxsmitty

Drives: '14 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It looks like you really enjoy this platform. The accident will cost either way, parting out or fixing, time, logistics, money all should be considered. Honestly, as it looks like just body damage, I would keep the car, have it fixed along wit a paint job that is a color you have always wanted and not factory. That way, in a sense you are paying for an awesome change to the car, and only a bit more for the damaged area.

I can't see how much the A-pillar was damaged but you can certainly source a junkyard left door and potentially a cut out quarter panel.
surfwaxsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:54 PM   #17
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
i wouldnt spend more than $500 of my own money + insurance refund to repair the car.

If it costs more than that consider trading it in. why? repairing the car will never get you a fair value for trade in with a salvaged title.

Or, if their are no mechanical issues, drive it.. save.. who gives a fuck. maybe sell the cosmetics / aero kit so you stop looking pathetic

relax and enjoy your next venture
Old 05-29-2017, 12:26 AM   #18
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't t know where exactly the OC is but if you are into Drifting/track days it looks like you have a new track beater, and buy a new tow vehicle for a daily (with full coverage). I dont think the insurance will do anything for you, since you can't get collision coverage after the fact (insurance fraud n-all). You are in a truly tough spot. But at least your car is paid off, so you aren't owing any 3rd parties.

This is a turning point for your car ownership life, take so time and evaluate where do you want to go from here? A new 86? A used something? Some other platform altogether. You need to figure out for yourself where you want to go and that will dictate your next moves..,
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imnotsureaboutbrz For This Useful Post:
turtlefeeder (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 01:41 AM   #19
turtlefeeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
I don't t know where exactly the OC is but if you are into Drifting/track days it looks like you have a new track beater, and buy a new tow vehicle for a daily (with full coverage). I dont think the insurance will do anything for you, since you can't get collision coverage after the fact (insurance fraud n-all). You are in a truly tough spot. But at least your car is paid off, so you aren't owing any 3rd parties.

This is a turning point for your car ownership life, take so time and evaluate where do you want to go from here? A new 86? A used something? Some other platform altogether. You need to figure out for yourself where you want to go and that will dictate your next moves..,

Yeah this has been going trough my mind. If the cost is about half of what I'm considering if it's out of my pocket for repair, I'll more than likely part out and sell what I can and down into a newer car. If the cost is less than half I'd rather pay the cost to fix since it's already paired off
Old 05-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #20
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
i wouldnt spend more than $500 of my own money + insurance refund to repair the car.

If it costs more than that consider trading it in. why? repairing the car will never get you a fair value for trade in with a salvaged title.

Or, if their are no mechanical issues, drive it.. save.. who gives a fuck. maybe sell the cosmetics / aero kit so you stop looking pathetic

relax and enjoy your next venture

He doesn't have full coverage so insurance won't total it. The car, if repaired without insurance involvement, won't get a salvage title. Salvage titles only come into play when the adjuster/insurance company deem it is too far gone for their normal repair process (and thus requiring the additional road-worthiness inspection and re-titling).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-29-2017), turtlefeeder (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 08:42 AM   #21
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I wouldn't fix the car, if I wasn't sure what happened. Can you check if there was any oil spot on the road at that day? Did any other accidents happen on this entrance?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #22
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I wouldn't fix the car, if I wasn't sure what happened. Can you check if there was any oil spot on the road at that day? Did any other accidents happen on this entrance?
Not sure how what happened has any impact on whether or not the car should be repaired. What is your logic there?
turtlefeeder (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 12:56 PM   #23
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not sure how what happened has any impact on whether or not the car should be repaired. What is your logic there?
I am just asking, because his car is modified with a turbo. I didn't check if there are other changes. I wouldn't fix a car that has issues with its driveability. Maybe the car is fine. It is just strange that he doesn't know what happened.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #24
turtlefeeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I am just asking, because his car is modified with a turbo. I didn't check if there are other changes. I wouldn't fix a car that has issues with its driveability. Maybe the car is fine. It is just strange that he doesn't know what happened.

All I can remember was a bump on the road bc the car bounced quite a bit than sled off the path, tried to recover from it but it kept sliding till it hit something. I'm no mechanic or drifter my car is my daily and I drive it how I normally would from work to home vice versa. Perhaps it ran over a road debris or some idk I was in the car couldn't tell if anything was under the car 😣
The Following User Says Thank You to turtlefeeder For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 02:03 PM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefeeder View Post
All I can remember was a bump on the road bc the car bounced quite a bit than sled off the path, tried to recover from it but it kept sliding till it hit something. I'm no mechanic or drifter my car is my daily and I drive it how I normally would from work to home vice versa. Perhaps it ran over a road debris or some idk I was in the car couldn't tell if anything was under the car 😣
Hit a bump and broke traction a bit. Probably instinctively let off the gas suddenly causing lift over steer.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #26
turtlefeeder

Quote:
Hit a bump and broke traction a bit. Probably instinctively let off the gas suddenly causing lift over steer.

That could happen? ... I didn't know this..

also insurance called and notified me they won't be able to cover the car as I thought..
The Following User Says Thank You to turtlefeeder For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #27
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefeeder View Post
That could happen? ... I didn't know this..

also insurance called and notified me they won't be able to cover the car as I thought..
Yep.
http://www.drivingfast.net/oversteer/

And not a lecture here Feeder but for anybody else reading this thread this is the reason why maintaining more than just liability insurance on your car is a very good idea! Canceling everything but liability is a false economy if something like this happens.
imnotsureaboutbrz (05-29-2017), Summerwolf (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 04:08 PM   #28
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
but for anybody else reading this thread this is the reason why maintaining more than just liability insurance on your car is a very good idea! Canceling everything but liability is a false economy if something like this happens.
Yup! After reading the this thread I went and double checked my coverage and deductibles...
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imnotsureaboutbrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-29-2017)