follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
DB86

Drives: Toyota 86 Pearl White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Major accident/Engine failure after repeated P0351/P0017/P0019

This is my first post but I have been on this forum for a long time monitoring all the issues. I apologise in advance for the long post. I am from South Africa and own a Toyota 86 since August 2012 (April 2012 build).

I started having the rough idle issue immediately and reported it but only got my first CEL after about 12000 kms in early Jan 2013. Had my car parked off at a Toyota service centre for 2 months while they tore it apart trying to figure the problem. Toyota refused to believe me when I told them that it is quite a common issue and there were software fixes available. They insisted no software updates existed and my car was an isolated issue. They didn’t want to admit that the South African cars were affected but after I resorted to complaining on Twitter they eventually discovered the software update later that day and I was able to take my car back home by end February 2013. During this time they also managed to get the P0351 code for the first time, I guess those guys drove the sh|t out of my car while it was with them during their "tests". Toyota simply swopped my coilpacks from cylinder 1 and 2 and that was it.

I got the P0351 error again in November 2013 but this time used another Toyota service centre hoping that my coils will at least be replaced. When I gave the car in, I told the new service centre that Toyota head office will insist on just swopping the coils and that they should bear in mind that it has already been swopped between cylinder 1 and 2. They thought I was crazy and misinterpreted something. Later that day they told me that all they can do is swop the coils after getting direction from head office, these guys also couldn’t understand the point of it. They weren’t sure what the swop proves if the error goes away. At least if the error moves to a different cylinder it would point to a faulty coil. So they swopped the coils on 1 and 2 with 3 and 4. Basically 1 bank of the engine with faulty coils potentially.

By this point, my car was over 37000 kms old and had been experiencing the P0351 code from 12000 kms. The car is completely stock and I have never taken it on a track. My driving ability is well above average and while occasionally aggressive, is never abusive.

I took the car back and 2 normal daily drives home later (not even a week since the last swop) while on a major freeway, I suddenly hear an unusual metallic noise from the engine bay (sounded like pinging). There were no CELs but I decided not to risk driving further. I reduced speed significantly and started moving towards the emergency lane. Suddenly my entire cluster lights up and instantly the rear wheels lock and the car spins out and clips another driver as he was attempting to pass me. His car is a write-off but luckily we weren’t hurt badly except for some whiplash and a slight knock to the other driver's head. I insisted that nobody is to interfere with the car until TSA investigates.

My car has since been repaired cosmetically only, just a bumper and fender replacement that cost R74000 (about US $7000). Toyota South Africa has been investigating/testing the car for the last 3 months while I haven't even been given a courtesy car by them. The guy I hit, who most would agree would never want to take my part, confirms my version of events as well as a witness in a third car. Toyota insisted on looking at the EDR/black box in the car which also confirms my story. Apparently now the EDR means nothing and they still need to investigate other issues. The car apparently experienced an engine failure but Toyota can't figure out why yet and are still testing it 3 months and 2 days later. The Toyota service centre doesn't want to share the preliminary findings with me on MY CAR until he speaks to head office. From what I have been told,the worst damage in the engine was in the same bank (cylinder 3 and 4) where the coils were swopped to. There was a TSB for the injector seal issue in SA for 9 months before my accident that specifically pointed to my car being affected but they didn’t contact me. It seems that the work to be done on the affected 86s were meant to be discreetly done during a service, otherwise I surely should have been called in for the fix.

I am still waiting for the field engineer's report and after demanding a final answer yesterday and refusing to be strung along indefinitely, TSA has committed to giving me a response on 20 Feb 2014. My off the record chats show that they are likely going to pin the engine failure on me to limit liability in the accident and avoid brand image damage. This means that I may have to foot the bill for a new engine (along with doubled insurance premiums) so that Toyota can get away untarnished.

Last edited by DB86; 02-18-2014 at 09:20 AM.
DB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DB86 For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (07-04-2014), kodyo (02-18-2014), mad_sb (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
DB86

I apologise for some of the words merging, not sure what's happening.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
Fuzz

Drives: '13 Toyota GT86 , VW Chico "1.4"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
DUDE !!! HECTIC !!!

Pleas keep us posted on what TSA says.

Did you post this on their FB and Twitter pages ?

If they give you crap make it public
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #4
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Thanks for posting. As much as it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to say it... I think it's time you lawyer up, as they say.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
DB86

I am going to see what happens on the 20th. Will go public depending on the outcome. Well, more aggressively public than this.

Last edited by DB86; 02-18-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
DB86

Just picked up a courtesy car, 3 months late.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Fuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB86 View Post
I am going to see what happens on the 20th. Will go public depending on the outcome.
No worries dude.

I am starting something similar.

Having paint issues with mine. Bought brand new with now only 6000km on the clock yet the paint is starting to bubble / ripple accros the entire car. Front to back.

Mailed TSA today, will take it to a dealer later in the week
Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Very sorry about your experience with Toyota and subsequent accident. Like mad_sb stated, I think you should at least have a chat with a family or friend lawyer... a battle might lie on your path, and you can't definitely quit. From what I read, you might have some going in favor of you. Good luck!
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
DB86

Also had "fish-eyes" paint effects especially on my bonnet. Almost looks like hail damage in certain angles.

My front bumper was badly aligned from the factory, used to annoy the sh|t out of me. Lol, after the accident it's actually looking much better.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
Fuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB86 View Post
Also had "fish-eyes" paint effects especially on my bonnet. Almost looks like hail damage in certain angles.

My front bumper was badly aligned from the factory, used to annoy the sh|t out of me. Lol, after the accident it's actually looking much better.
What colour is your 86 ?

Its seems its a common issue on the red ones. Did you claim for that ?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
DB86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
Very sorry about your experience with Toyota and subsequent accident. Like mad_sb stated, I think you should at least have a chat with a family or friend lawyer... a battle might lie on your path, and you can't definitely quit. From what I read, you might have some going in favor of you. Good luck!
Thanks. I do have the TSBs that another South African posted regarding the injector issue. I reported to both service centres that I keep getting a CEL going from 3rd to 4th. They should have picked it up from the symptoms I reported.

TSA was meant to give me a final response 2 weeks ago. I think they were going to blame me in the report from what I heard so I sent a email to them on the day with the TSB attached saying I am well aware of the issue and Toyota should have picked it up from my complaints and the P0017/19 issues I previously reported or at least called me in based on my VIN number. They then said they needed more time to investigate. Looks like they didn't even pick up that issue themselves again or they were hoping I was unaware of it.

They responded with great curiosity about how I got the TSB and said that it is a private internal document. Told them it's irrelevant how I got it and the internet is amazing. Looks like I am now forcing them to come up with another excuse why it is my fault.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
DB86

I got a pearl white one. Makes it harder to notice luckily. Haven't claimed, could hardly notice it.

Last edited by DB86; 02-18-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
Bg8780

Drives: '13 Black Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
WOW! Glad you are ok. Did you have the infamous DI popping noise prior to this incident?
Bg8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
DB86

A side issue :
When the car was parked off for the first 2 months at the first service centre, someone there let slip that they actually sold me a demo model (they claimed it was new when I bought it) and was used for the harsh test drives that people were eager to get. They said it may have contributed to my issues. This guy didn't know that his boss claimed that it was actually a new car. When I confronted them about it through TSA, the GM said that the demo car was a hi-spec model and not my car. I then told them that the hi-spec model wasn't even in South Africa in dealer showrooms in July 2012. The GM then resorted to saying he made a mistake and he happened to have another standard-spec car identical to mine used for demos. TSA said they can't help with this case. Still trying to get the stock details of that dealership.