follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #3487
Spacemane969
Senior Member
 
Spacemane969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia, US
Posts: 269
Thanks: 106
Thanked 125 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Maybe leave rear camber as is, and dial -2.5 front (probably easily doable with two sets of camberbolts, given some natural neg. camber due lowering)? It might not be the very best for DD, but will lessen budget due not buying rear LCAs?
That might be an option, does anyone have experience with two camber bolts? I'm not really worried about the DD aspect, I just want it to feel sporty again. Currently I hate the rear camber but then again my front is +1.5 comparatively. Any drawbacks to your recommended camber?
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #3488
cjd
Senior Member
 
cjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Drives: 2017 BRZ
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,168
Thanks: 762
Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,026 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
2.5f/2r is a great for spirited driving without too much tire wear. Stick to zero toe. Lots of people do the two bolkt trick, including the entire SCCA SSC solo cpec class. SPC bolt in the top, move the topo bolt to the bottom I think it is. I don't have personal experience as I've always had camber plates so verify the bolt setup. Depending on tire size and wheel offset, you may get less camber before the tire is too close to the spring perch. Or more.
__________________
Second chance build... or whatever it is.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Spacemane969 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:10 AM   #3489
FirstWinter
Whatever happens, happens
 
FirstWinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2015 Steel FRS 6MT
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 594
Thanks: 332
Thanked 373 Times in 225 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
SPC bolt in the top, move the topo bolt to the bottom I think it is.
Others will have to chime in as I haven't tried it myself either but I thought it was SPC bolt for bottom and put OEM bottom bolt into top bolt. I don't think the other way would work since the top bolt is larger than the bottom bolt.
__________________
You're in NorCal? Come hang out with us at the track!

86 Drive Challenge Facebook Group
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FirstWinter For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (02-12-2018), cjd (02-12-2018), strat61caster (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:03 AM   #3490
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 2,838
Thanks: 336
Thanked 1,188 Times in 841 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
That might be an option, does anyone have experience with two camber bolts? I'm not really worried about the DD aspect, I just want it to feel sporty again. Currently I hate the rear camber but then again my front is +1.5 comparatively. Any drawbacks to your recommended camber?
Well, of course i have such experience, as running two camberbolts (SPC 81305 lower hole, Whiteline KCA416 top) front 2/3rds of time i have car .

"I just want it to feel sporty again" makes me suspicious though, as to what you really want and what is sporty feel by your book. It did felt sporty, but not anymore? My guess is that you installed grippier (or wider) tires while still staying at stock NA power, so car feels less lively/hard to loose grip if/when you wanted? Then not sure, if upping neg. camber will net what you may really want, as it will add grip in turns taken fast. I have suspicion that you may have wished ease of power oversteer "like stock", but it's just guesswork from my part. Less grippier tires imho should bring what you seem to want better.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:44 AM   #3491
Chris_
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: 17 BRZ PP
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 18
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWinter View Post
Others will have to chime in as I haven't tried it myself either but I thought it was SPC bolt for bottom and put OEM bottom bolt into top bolt. I don't think the other way would work since the top bolt is larger than the bottom bolt.
I'm lowered on RCE Yellows (2017 BRZ PP), with SPC rear LCA's and SPC front 14mm camber bolts.

I put the SPC camber bolts in the lower hole, and the original bottom bolt (14mm) into the upper hole. I'm able to max the front out at -2.5 degrees, but your results may vary.
Chris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 AM   #3492
Bach415
Senior Member
 
Bach415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: Whiteout FRS
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,087
Thanks: 837
Thanked 348 Times in 257 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
That might be an option, does anyone have experience with two camber bolts? I'm not really worried about the DD aspect, I just want it to feel sporty again. Currently I hate the rear camber but then again my front is +1.5 comparatively. Any drawbacks to your recommended camber?
I am currently running two camber bolts up front. Both SPC 16mm and 14mm. I have my current camber settings at -2.33 on both sides (driver side maxed out at -2.33 for some reason, might re-install to see, but passenger side went up to -3 max). When I had my camber plates along with both camber bolts, I was able to get close to -5 camber at max settings. The camber up front will help your turns grip a lot better, but it also depends on your tires.

Essentially you can get the SPC 14mm front bottom camber bolt and move the oem 14mm to the top. Only reason why I didn't go this route is because I am afraid of it slipping. Smaller bolt in a bigger hole without any support from it slipping into the gap that isn't filled despite being torqued isn't my cup of tea. At least with the SPC 16mm camber bolt up top, you can still adjust camber but still have that empty void in the hole filled up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWinter View Post
Others will have to chime in as I haven't tried it myself either but I thought it was SPC bolt for bottom and put OEM bottom bolt into top bolt. I don't think the other way would work since the top bolt is larger than the bottom bolt.
That is correct.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:06 AM   #3493
Spacemane969
Senior Member
 
Spacemane969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia, US
Posts: 269
Thanks: 106
Thanked 125 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Well, of course i have such experience, as running two camberbolts (SPC 81305 lower hole, Whiteline KCA416 top) front 2/3rds of time i have car .

"I just want it to feel sporty again" makes me suspicious though, as to what you really want and what is sporty feel by your book. It did felt sporty, but not anymore? My guess is that you installed grippier (or wider) tires while still staying at stock NA power, so car feels less lively/hard to loose grip if/when you wanted? Then not sure, if upping neg. camber will net what you may really want, as it will add grip in turns taken fast. I have suspicion that you may have wished ease of power oversteer "like stock", but it's just guesswork from my part. Less grippier tires imho should bring what you seem to want better.
Being tail happy is one big aspect that I do miss, but I'm willing to compromise for cornering ability. I did go a little stickier, running pilot sport AS3+ in stock size(with 1inch lowering). The biggest thing I'm chasing is just the overall balance though. In stock form weight distribution and braking into a turn were flawless..the car went exactly where I wanted. Now I'll brake into a turn and it's pretty much a guess as to where it's going with understeer and a general lack of control.

Great to know I can get -2.3 with bolts. I think I'll go this route. Thanks for everyone's responses!
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #3494
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 2,838
Thanks: 336
Thanked 1,188 Times in 841 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Spacemane969: If you are on lowering springs as you mentioned, then with two camberbolt sets you can go to -2.5. If even more wished, one can get powerflex front LCA bushing pff69-801g (both camberbolts + it = ~ -3, so lowered, probably -3.2). Even more than that - one will need camberplates.
Weird to hear that understeer/oversteer grip bias has changed. Lowering rised camber, but in both rear & front, vs stock, didn't it? I wonder if it's not due toe getting out of whack and maybe one may simply need alignment to get both sides even and put toe back to zero (or slightly toe-in, if on rear). Of course, stock alignment already is understeer biased (but you said, you liked it?), so extra camber both front & rear shouldn't change it much. Well, anyway, more neg. camber front then rear should deal with excessive understeer unlike stock that had camber other way around (0 front, -1.2 rear).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #3495
Spacemane969
Senior Member
 
Spacemane969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia, US
Posts: 269
Thanks: 106
Thanked 125 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Spacemane969: If you are on lowering springs as you mentioned, then with two camberbolt sets you can go to -2.5. If even more wished, one can get powerflex front LCA bushing pff69-801g (both camberbolts + it = ~ -3, so lowered, probably -3.2). Even more than that - one will need camberplates.
Weird to hear that understeer/oversteer grip bias has changed. Lowering rised camber, but in both rear & front, vs stock, didn't it? I wonder if it's not due toe getting out of whack and maybe one may simply need alignment to get both sides even and put toe back to zero (or slightly toe-in, if on rear). Of course, stock alignment already is understeer biased (but you said, you liked it?), so extra camber both front & rear shouldn't change it much. Well, anyway, more neg. camber front then rear should deal with excessive understeer unlike stock that had camber other way around (0 front, -1.2 rear).
Yea my last alignment was -2 rear with -.5 up front...no idea how that front came about, that seems positive from stock camber. Hope it's not a sign of damage, I did drive for a while without alignment after lowering. I'm on TRD springs. That's a good point about stock alignment before lowering. I guess things just got alot more extreme after lowering, and parts probably getting worn with 75k miles now.
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #3496
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 2,838
Thanks: 336
Thanked 1,188 Times in 841 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
75k miles on bad roads can wear shocks, indeed. Maybe not to failure, but to performing worse then new. For best bang for buck suggest getting slightly used MY2017 shocks. Many speak very well of them.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Spacemane969 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #3497
Spacemane969
Senior Member
 
Spacemane969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia, US
Posts: 269
Thanks: 106
Thanked 125 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
75k miles on bad roads can wear shocks, indeed. Maybe not to failure, but to performing worse then new. For best bang for buck suggest getting slightly used MY2017 shocks. Many speak very well of them.
I do have shocks high on my list. How difficult is install for a beginner? I had my springs installed for me because I was worried about dealing with the spring tension.
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #3498
Shark_Bait88
Senior Member
 
Shark_Bait88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,250
Thanks: 1,494
Thanked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
IMO if you have a BRZ with lots of miles and you stumble across a set of low mileage 2017 dampers (PP preferred, but even regular) then yeah absolutely go for it. I do like the Bilstein B6 a lot though if you can fit them in your budget and want something new and inverted monotube up front.

- Andrew
I went this route (low mileage regular '17 OEM BRZ dampers) for my FR-S that I'll be running in 86 Cup stock class. We'll see how it works out.
__________________
"Shark_Bait88, the man whos spent the most money modding his stock FR-S and its still stock." -@jdnguyen
Shark_Bait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shark_Bait88 For This Useful Post:
ApexEight (02-15-2018), Racecomp Engineering (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #3499
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 2,838
Thanks: 336
Thanked 1,188 Times in 841 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
I do have shocks high on my list. How difficult is install for a beginner? I had my springs installed for me because I was worried about dealing with the spring tension.
Install imho isn't difficult, if you have needed tools to lift car for maintenance, eg. jacks & stand. Problem comes that after changing shocks one needs to do alignment. Which while also can be DIY doable (eg. strings method and such), but is time-sapping tedious process i find much better being done on laser alignment rig while i drink coffee
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:18 PM   #3500
ApexEight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Posts: 293
Thanks: 195
Thanked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
I went this route (low mileage regular '17 OEM BRZ dampers) for my FR-S that I'll be running in 86 Cup stock class. We'll see how it works out.
Are the regular '17 dampers any different than the '13-'16? My '14 is past 80K miles on what I believe are the stock dampers. They still feel good. Throwing on TRD springs soon which I would imagine would degrade their performance a little quicker but not willing to drop the money on Bilstein or Koni.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Suspension Discussion Thread - Let's Get Nerdy Andrew@ORT Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 174 02-13-2016 04:17 PM
RallySport Directs Everything Suspension thread!! RallySport Direct Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 21 07-02-2014 05:31 PM
The OFFICIAL Ohlins Coilover Suspension thread - High End Competition Suspension ModBargains.com Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 63 05-22-2013 08:15 AM
2012 Team USA vs the 1992 Dream Team ERZperformance Off-Topic Lounge 1 09-14-2012 06:19 PM
Team build thread; PROJECT.STH trueno86power Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 0 03-02-2010 11:13 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.