follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #15
dobbrz

Drives: RB v1 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I basically have a full LED swap and recently got a set of JDM Tom's. Somehow the LEDs in my front turn signals cause my car to go haywire with the Tom's installed (didn't happen before and the Tom's function fine without the LEDs up front). Basically when I signal with my lights off both tails and rear turn signals flash along with my head unit and clock. When I turn on my lights both the tail lights and the rear turn signals light up; and when I signal both the tail light and turn signal on the corresponding side flashes.

Has anyone encountered this problem? I know people are running both front turn LEDs and Tom's so let me know what bulbs you used. I tried to sets but both were from the same company (random Amazon brand).

TIA
I know nothing about electronics but I had a similar issue with my Toms when my front turn signal switchback LED's were in the wrong way....

instagram: @andrewdobbie93
dobbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #16
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit86 View Post
Just get this. Simplest route you can go

https://www.86speed.com/new-products...ustable-speed/
The simplest route is running stock bulbs like I am atm lol. But yeah, a new relay is on order already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbrz View Post
I know nothing about electronics but I had a similar issue with my Toms when my front turn signal switchback LED's were in the wrong way....
Interesting. Might have to give that a shot. But i though LEDs only work one way? Otherwise it wouodnt function at all

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #17
candygram4mongo

Drives: 2015 FR-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post

Interesting. Might have to give that a shot. But i though LEDs only work one way? Otherwise it wouodnt function at all
I think the complexity comes from the fact that there is circuitry on the bulb beyond just the diode, but you are correct about diodes themselves. Diodes are the one-way valve of electrical components.

Old school flashers worked by heating a resistive wire spring within the flashing unit which would expand and complete the circuit to the light. When the light turned on the current would flow away from the spring. Then the spring would cool and contract, opening the circuit again. I don't know if modern cars still use this old design.

Troubleshooting old cars is so much easier.
candygram4mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #18
Darkrune

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did you resolve this issue? I am curious about what the solution is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Darkrune is offline   Reply With Quote