follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
jcreel

Drives: '15 White BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Buying new rims and tires help

Like the title says, Im looking to buy my 1st set of rims/tires. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm trying to figure out about how much its going to cost me. I would bet there's tons of post like I'm asking but everytime I look at them I get confused. My BRZ is completely stock.

I want 18s either the same width tire or larger than the stock ones, if I can without buying Coilovers. Looking for black rims, I would say similar style to stock. I also want it flush. I live in Louisiana and its constantly raining so I will need to get all weather tires, I guess, but better than stock traction.

Can anyone help me find something? If you have a stock car with what I'm looking for can you post pictures or links to what you have?

Appreciate any help
jcreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Here you go. Black 18", fits without coilovers, and sits flush.
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/nurb...l#.WGAD9Xi9LCQ

Paired with these tires. Slightly wider than OEM, a great match for the above wheels, and excellent traction in everything from cold and wet to hot and dry.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
gramicci101
Off Topic

Here are pics on these cars. This setup will work with any lowering spring or camber solution you choose. I recommend RCE Yellow springs and front camber bolts.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20872
Old 12-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
jcreel

Drives: '15 White BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Man! This looks like a great option. I wish they came in a more glossy finish. definitely look into these.
jcreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:37 PM   #5
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
@jcreel, based on what your trying to achieve, it's going to be tough to come up with a better solution than what @grimicci101 has suggested. You have lots of options on wheels, but the TSWs are an excellent fit, reasonably priced, good quality, and not too heavy - which is a big concern, because drastically increasing unsprung weight with heavy wheels can really ruin the dynamics of the car. Having said that, I assume you understand that a 17" wheel would be a better choice for the reasons I listed above, but if you're looking for the aggressive looks an 18" wheel offers the TSWs are a good choice. I personally prefer matte graphite or matte black over gloss black anyway, so they work for me in that respect, too!

As you continue to reasearch things, you'll find it's important to match grip levels to your suspension, meaning you have to be careful about how large and sticky a tire you go with while still remaining on your stock coils and dampers. @grimicci101's suggestion is excellent in this regard, because the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ will provide a nice bump in performance, is class-leading in wet weather performance, and still not overpower your stock suspension.

Go for it and let us know what you decide on once you make your decision!

Last edited by RJasonKlein; 12-28-2016 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Corrected a typographical error.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #6
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Also check tirerack.com (sub-forum sponsor btw), they'll ship you a set of wheels with tires mounted and balanced to your doorstep, and they usually won't sell you something that won't fit. Might be a couple bucks more expensive than other vendors, but it's rather convenient and a safe bet.

They also have probably one of the best interfaces for looking up wheels with solid searching options and details on the same page.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Teseo (12-28-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 02:13 AM   #7
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Here you go. Black 18", fits without coilovers, and sits flush.
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/nurb...l#.WGAD9Xi9LCQ

Paired with these tires. Slightly wider than OEM, a great match for the above wheels, and excellent traction in everything from cold and wet to hot and dry.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
^ Also, if you dont like those specific wheels, basically anything with the same specs will fit a stock car.

Specs:
Wheel: 18x8" (+35 offset)
Tire: 225/40/r18

For rain, summer tires will be better than all season tires as long as the temperature is warm (like above 60F).
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcreel View Post
Thanks Man! This looks like a great option. I wish they came in a more glossy finish. definitely look into these.
For some reason, glossy black wheels are rare on these cars. They're out there, but whether it's a style you like or the size you want is another question. You can always have whatever wheels you buy powdercoated to meet your tastes. Budget about $500 for that, if that's the way you want to go. I'm going to have to do the same because I want wheels in a glossy bronze, but it seems like the wheels I want either come in matte bronze or not bronze at all.

This thread has a huge gallery of different wheels on these cars, so you can get a feel for how things look and what you like best.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535