follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #267
FastLane1000

Drives: White FR-S, 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
It's not a dealer issue. It's a Subaru of America/Tech line issue. The dealers cannot perform warranty work without SoA/tech line's approval/authorization. Otherwise, the dealer is doing the work for free.
The dealer can look for a reason not to do warranty work or they can look for a reason to take care of their customers. No one on the tech line knows what mods are done to a vehicle sitting in a dealership service dept. I understand they need approval but its all in how the issue is approached by the customer and how the dealership addresses their tech line.
FastLane1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #268
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLane1000 View Post
The dealer can look for a reason not to do warranty work or they can look for a reason to take care of their customers. No one on the tech line knows what mods are done to a vehicle sitting in a dealership service dept. I understand they need approval but its all in how the issue is approached by the customer and how the dealership addresses their tech line.
Tech line will specifically ask. It's in the dealer's interest to do the warranty work; they get paid for it. If the dealer lies, and does the work, and then get randomly audited (which they will), then SoA will not pay out on the work.

Tech line frequently asks for pictures of bolts, etc., and can tell if bolts have been removed. For example, there is no reason the bolt on the shockwill EVER be removed unless you put on aftermarket suspension, or the bolts on the secondary cat removed/touched, unless you replaced it with a test pipe/overpipe.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #269
RAWR BRZ

Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I really wish our original records were there
I have this paper stating my concerns, parts they replaced, and the issues they found. If only I thought of having them take pictures or even give me the burnt injectors... They probably threw them away...

What happened to the original records?

Quote:
Tech line will specifically ask. It's in the dealer's interest to do the warranty work; they get paid for it. If the dealer lies, and does the work, and then get randomly audited (which they will), then SoA will not pay out on the work.

Tech line frequently asks for pictures of bolts, etc., and can tell if bolts have been removed. For example, there is no reason the bolt on the shockwill EVER be removed unless you put on aftermarket suspension, or the bolts on the secondary cat removed/touched, unless you replaced it with a test pipe/overpipe.
They gave me trouble because of my sound tube delete... lol... other than that they really have no reason not to cover the DI/Seals. The dealer "told me" when they called tech line they were aware of the situation and told them to run a test with just my DI on.

I am 90% sure if a person brings their car in with seal failure and ask or pay the diagnostic fee specifically asking for the DI seals leaking they will find an issue and cover it under warranty AND refund the diagnostic fee. (if you lose your diagnostic fee money don't come after me lol)
RAWR BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #270
andrew20195

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

AFAIK, the Subaru Tech Line investigation procedures only apply to replacement of factory turbocharged engines under warranty. The tech line does not authorize or reject warranty repairs, that is up to the district service manager. If a non-turbo engine fails, and the dealership hasn't determined a cause, the DSM may instruct the dealer to consult tech line, but it's not necessarily a requirement.
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #271
ag144

Drives: track preped frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
bad injector seals

I just finished rebuilding my fa20 because of an injector seal that went bad on the direct injector on cylinder 1 and caused it to lean out and melt away the ground electrodee on the spark plug and caused cylinder wall damage.

this seems to be a problem with the direct injectors. when i took it aprt there was nothing left of the seal.

this may become a recall.

here are some pictures of the injector, plug and cylinder
Attached Images

ag144 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ag144 For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (06-14-2013), romin (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #272
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag144 View Post
I just finished rebuilding my fa20 because of an injector seal that went bad on the direct injector on cylinder 1 and caused it to lean out and melt away the ground electrodee on the spark plug and caused cylinder wall damage.

this seems to be a problem with the direct injectors. when i took it aprt there was nothing left of the seal.

What mods did you have? how did the issue first start presenting itself in your case?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #273
whitefrs
Love Boost!!!!!!!!

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quote:

This is what exactly happen to me
Hopefully the electrode didnt cause any damage

They will use a boroscope today to ckeck the internals
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371223644.991355.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  97.3 KB
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #274
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

Check your coil pack, one member here reports that the coil-pack fails first then the plug then the seal, he said to always replace the coil-pack after a DI seal failure. Good luck.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #275
ag144

the car is back together and running good now
Old 06-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #276
ag144

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
What mods did you have? how did the issue first start presenting itself in your case?
i have a header back exhaust an injen intake a perrin light weight pulley and a visconti tune. it just started miss firing and smoking.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #277
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
i have a header back exhaust an injen intake a perrin light weight pulley and a visconti tune. it just started miss firing and smoking.
Did you do the teardown yourself? Or was it warranty work?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #278
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
How many miles?

Seems like this issue keeps poping up but the poll only shows 7 case. Make sure you enter the poll to help build a case for a recall. Thanks for your report.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/poll....lts&pollid=471

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #279
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
How many track days?
Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #280
peachch

Drives: White 86 Sport Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefrs View Post
This is what exactly happen to me
Hopefully the electrode didnt cause any damage

They will use a boroscope today to ckeck the internals
Attachment 40814

Quote:

I had exactly same thing. I got P301 and found out that sparkplug was damage. 500 mi later I got popping sound. Then, I realized the seal on 1st cylender was gone. I hope my engine is still okay.
Attached Images

peachch is offline   Reply With Quote