follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #267
White Shadow
Banned

Drives: 12,000 miles per year
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
AAAAAA
Oh, that's not really my plate number!

But even if it was, I still don't get it. I know the ADA is the American Dental Association. I'm still trying to figure out the serial killer comment though.
White Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #268
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
My car is currently running 21 lbs of boost (instead of the stock 14 lbs) and there are no issues at all with keeping the air/fuel ratio in check. The GDI system is more than capable of adjusting fuel delivery & timing at increased boost levels.

You have to keep in mind that GDI has different combustion modes. For light loads, an ultra-lean burn mode is used. This is a stratified charge. The timing of the fuel being injected is adjusted towards the end of the compression stroke.

For normal loads, the GDI runs in stoichiometric mode. The fuel is injected earlier (during the intake stroke) and the result is a very homogeneous fuel charge.

For high loads (such as full throttle & full boost on a turbocharged car), the GDI goes into full power mode. It dumps in more fuel and creates a richer mixture to prevent engine knock.
Scratch that I just saw the picture of what you're driving. I had no idea audi ran THAT much boost stock, lol turbo must be the size of glazed donut

Staying on topic, I'm aware of the different combustion modes used to tune GDI mixtures but there are quite a few GDI cars whose stock compression is in the 10's:1, ours is a rare 12.5:1 (pretty beastly compression for a stock motor IMO)... doesn't leave much room for high boost without some serious internal work.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #269
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
There are plenty of GDI cars that are also turbocharged. Why would you want or need port injection (or port along with direct injection) on a forced induction application? If anything, I think GDI is better suited for forced induction in the first place.
It's easier to upgrade Port Fuel Injectors when you want to make more power. With straight DI, you have to upgrade the high pressure fuel pump to add more fuel, which can be expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #270
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Scratch that I just saw the picture of what you're driving. I had no idea audi ran THAT much boost stock, lol turbo must be the size of glazed donut

Staying on topic, I'm aware of the different combustion modes used to tune GDI mixtures but there are quite a few GDI cars whose stock compression is in the 10's:1, ours is a rare 12.5:1 (pretty beastly compression for a stock motor IMO)... doesn't leave much room for high boost without some serious internal work.
It's a K03 turbo (stock), so it is quite small. Still though 14 PSI isn't a lot of boost pressure to run on a stock turbo car. The great thing about the small turbo is that it provides excellent low-end torque. My car has virtually no turbo lag at all. The engine is at maximum torque by just 1500 RPM and it has a very flat torque curve. The torque doesn't start to taper off until around 4500 RPM.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #271
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
It's easier to upgrade Port Fuel Injectors when you want to make more power. With straight DI, you have to upgrade the high pressure fuel pump to add more fuel, which can be expensive.
High pressure fuel pumps, in most cases, have the ability to provide far more fuel than needed even on a modified, high boost pressure car, as long as you're talking about boost pressures within reason.

I've owned quite a few turbo cars over the years that used the old Port F.I. and I had to replace the fuel pump with a higher flow unit (or add a secondary fuel pump instead) and swap in larger injectors when I got to the point that the fuel system couldn't keep up with the boost pressures I was running. So in that sense, the port injection system also needed to be modified. A good example is my old Eagle Talon that I had back in the 90s. After I got to 20 lbs of boost (with an upgraded turbo), the fuel system was maxed out. To run higher boost, I need to upgrade the fuel system to avoid running too lean and blowing the engine.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #272
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Surprised this rumor is still persisting. Unless STI comes out saying they will build a turbo version of the car (which they've said the contrary thus far), it's not going to happen. Even some people have gone so far to say that Subaru themselves will do it, which would never happen simply because they'd dilute the STI brand and most likely piss off their tuning arm. Its like BMW saying their most powerful 3 series will not be the M3 or that the most powerful mercedes C class will not have an AMG badge on it.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #273
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Surprised this rumor is still persisting. Unless STI comes out saying they will build a turbo version of the car (which they've said the contrary thus far), it's not going to happen. Even some people have gone so far to say that Subaru themselves will do it, which would never happen simply because they'd dilute the STI brand and most likely piss off their tuning arm. Its like BMW saying their most powerful 3 series will not be the M3 or that the most powerful mercedes C class will not have an AMG badge on it.
The most current edition of Autoweek magazine (October 29, 2012) has a short article that claims the BRZ Turbo is indeed coming out for the 2014 model year. It also says that the turbocharged BRZ will not be labeled as an STi. They claim that will allow Subaru to "save" the STi for an even hotter version of the engine when sales start to cool down.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just tell you what the article says!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #274
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Not exactly; they could easily turbo the BRZ without dipping in STI's kool-aid. It just means that when the STI variant comes out it has to do better.

What I never understood is why people thought a turbo BRZ would be stepping on the STI's toes. I'd say they would both have niches as turbo cars.

Turbo BRZ:
Lightweight
RWD
Small
largely impractical for storage capacity and rear passenger seating
Quick but not mind blowingly fast

STI:
Mid-weight
AWD
Medium sized
Practical for inclimate weather, storage and passenger seating
Fast but not mind blowingly fast

And those are just surface details without going into how the two vehicles drive.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #275
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
Not exactly; they could easily turbo the BRZ without dipping in STI's kool-aid. It just means that when the STI variant comes out it has to do better.

What I never understood is why people thought a turbo BRZ would be stepping on the STI's toes. I'd say they would both have niches as turbo cars.

Turbo BRZ:
Lightweight
RWD
Small
largely impractical for storage capacity and rear passenger seating
Quick but not mind blowingly fast

STI:
Mid-weight
AWD
Medium sized
Practical for inclimate weather, storage and passenger seating
Fast but not mind blowingly fast

And those are just surface details without going into how the two vehicles drive.
I'm a little confused about your argument here. I was never comparing the BRZ to the Impreza STI. I'm talking about the BRZ STI, which STI's president has come out saying its coming, but would not be turbocharging it. So it wouldn't make sense that Subaru would turbo it if STI wouldn't. At that point, Subaru would be stepping on STI's toes.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #276
jonnyozero3

Drives: 4 wheels & some metal bits
Quote:
Oh, that's not really my plate number!

But even if it was, I still don't get it. I know the ADA is the American Dental Association. I'm still trying to figure out the serial killer comment though.
Lol. Well, when you go to a dentist, they tell you to say: "Aaaaaa". And what do people do when serial killers are chasing them? Scream: "AAAAAAAAAAAAA"

That's it
jonnyozero3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonnyozero3 For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (10-27-2012), WRXGuy1 (10-28-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #277
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3 View Post
Lol. Well, when you go to a dentist, they tell you to say: "Aaaaaa". And what do people do when serial killers are chasing them? Scream: "AAAAAAAAAAAAA"

That's it
LOL...okay, got it. So serial killers and dentists have something in common---they both make you go "AAAAAA"
Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #278
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
saw that as well. would be completely insane if they built that. unfortunately, the iQ isn't a very good handling car so driving it wouldn't be as much fun as one might think.
I've driven the iQ, I have not doubt there would be little fun and a lot of terror in driving this "variation" unless they made some very significant changes to it.

Now, if they want to stuff that engine into my FR-S, I'm willing to give it a spin... (spinning, now that I think of it, that is probably exactly what I'd end up doing with it!)

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #279
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
BRZ gets 1.6 DIT (shown right beside the first FA20 mockup, BTW), 240ish HP with a shit-ton more torque than it has now.

WRX STI gets a high flow variant of the FA20 DIT, say 350ish HP and 300+ lb-ft. Also will be lighter than current model.

Sibling rivalry solved.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #280
S2kphile
Resident HoneyBadger

Drives: Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Pure speculation. I'll believe when I see it.

Walk like a King, Be like a Sir, Swag it out like a Boss
S2kphile is offline   Reply With Quote