follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
Grips&slips

Drives: 99 mazda miata sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AFE or FT86?

So I finally decided on a route for the car and just because it will be a DD and a road trip vehicle of choice and the only track time it will see is autocross and a few days at summit point and Dominion here and there I want to stay quiet and modest. So for power all I plan on is a tune and catted header. I want a cat because like I said the noise and drone issue for road trips and everyday driving and the smell in the cabin. After looking at my options for this I have fallen between AFE or FT86. I see a lot of positive feedback and happy campers with the ft86 set up but I dont see much feedback on the AFE. I've seen stuff from them before and it all looked great and apparently prefomed well too. So the big question I'd like opinions on is this, AFE and save a couple hundred at the cost of maybe 2 less hours and tq than ft86, or get the AFE and put the $200 saved towards an over pipe for a slightly more complete setup, or pay the extra 200 and get the more proven product just to avoid and potential hastle like fitment and what not?
Grips&slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A used p&l catted ain't a bad deal either. Ft86 is proven and an easy choice. Imo can't go wrong with it.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Are you looking for UEL or EL?

Another great option for a catted header is JDL. They have both a catted UEL and EL option has have excellent build quality with option for ceramic coating directly through them. I personally ran the JDL Catted UEL w/ JDL's Ultra Quiet FP/OP Combo Pipe and Perrin 2.5" CBE and loved the sound. Only reason its different now is because I went JRSC.

Where in VA are you located? Are the Summit and Dominion Events you plan on attending the TrackCross events held by "Get Fast Events"? If so, I'll see you out there! I have the Black tS.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
jjorgen

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
Are you looking for UEL or EL?

Another great option for a catted header is JDL. They have both a catted UEL and EL option has have excellent build quality with option for ceramic coating directly through them. I personally ran the JDL Catted UEL w/ JDL's Ultra Quiet FP/OP Combo Pipe and Perrin 2.5" CBE and loved the sound. Only reason its different now is because I went JRSC.

Where in VA are you located? Are the Summit and Dominion Events you plan on attending the TrackCross events held by "Get Fast Events"? If so, I'll see you out there! I have the Black tS.

Sorry to inform you this but JDL has stopped making the catted UEL, I havent seen it on their website and FT 86 speed factory said it went out of production on their site.
jjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjorgen View Post
Sorry to inform you this but JDL has stopped making the catted UEL, I havent seen it on their website and FT 86 speed factory said it went out of production on their site.

Interesting! Well, some used ones tend to pop up on the forums every once in awhile.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
jjorgen

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Also to answer the OP's question, I have a friend who bought the AFE headers and had zero fitment issue with them and likes them a lot.
jjorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
Grips&slips

Drives: 99 mazda miata sport
Yeah AFE has been good to me in the past with friends cars so I think I might go with them just to save that $200 bucks to go towards the oft. I'm in Woodbridge VA so yeah I probably will see you. I'm in a white 2015 frs. Love this car in Virginia too, it's just built for these shennendoah foothill roads. And elevation is still around 200ft above sea level on most of them so we get the mountain roads without the hit of high altitude on our little naturally aspirated cars. And thanks for all the replys guys. Especially the one on no fitment issues or leaks or drone complaints from your buddy. Really appreciate the support on this site too.
Grips&slips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grips&slips For This Useful Post:
J1Avs (02-18-2019)